Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-03-2016, 15:29   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Re: WIFI Reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Zee--u got a toolbar, some malware/adware, or some other issue that is screwing with your internet.
Based on what she wrote, I agree 100% and was going to write the same thing.

Zee, you need to get your computer cleaned up and looked at. This malware/virus issue is probably causing you all kinds of issues.

Old 12-03-2016, 15:38   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

it is strange how the rest of the folks on my end of this dock also have the same issues with the wifi.
all who are shadowed by sea shell have wifi issues. g1 had wifi issues, during the time when the hotel was upgrading their service with telmex, which took 3 weeks. the day it came up, wow , we had excellent wifi, which was at 1900, turned off, per admission of one of the supervisors in hotel.
my chrome book will not operate with a malware. it warms me 2 times then turns self off.
i did notice that when sea shell was out and gone from its slip, i could actually use wifi without a booster.
the boat on end slip (30, 31 )of g dock also did not have ability to connect with wifi. we chatted about that when they were still here
the adapter that was told to me last year was the one i should be aiming my antenna towards is the one that i was told this year i snot going to be repaired, the one i saw destroyed by patricia. it was the adapter for this side of marina. when it worked we had awesome wifi--before patricia.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:25   #48

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I think a big issue effecting all marinas in Mexico is microsofts fault. Considering most boats have Windows computers onboard, and most people aren't smart enough to set every connection as "metered", you likely have 2-3 computers per boat trying to download updates, maybe even the whole Windows 10 upgrade (3gb+) plus their normal downloads/netflix. I bet it wasn't as bad a year ago, before win10 came along!

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific
Old 15-03-2016, 11:00   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

autumn-
You shouldn't blame Microsoft if the users are too stupid to turn off automatic updates. It has been common knowledge and advice for 30 years to turn off background processes, turn off invisible updates, turn off image downloads in web pages, if you have a slow data connection. Been the same since the days of 300 baud modems.
The problem is that computers are too damn cheap, now that they have become way cheaper than the cost of learning how to use them, every idiot buys them and then has no idea how to make them work.

z-
You think your marina has problems? I know condos and apartments there are built either with steel studs and sheetrock walls, or the older traditional plaster lathe over chickenwire. In either of those types of homes, you'll be lucky to push the signal from ANY router into the room next door. Need to go through two walls and two rooms? Ain't gonna happen without a booster in each room, or other special equipment.
There are well documented limits to the technologies, and well documented limits as to how to best deal with them. So you RTFM, and either buy the necessary equipment, or deal with being off the grid. The first time I did the Around Long Island Regatta, check-ins off (rounding) Montauk were by VHF or radiotelephone. The next time, you could use cell phones...but only one out of four of us had any coverage at all. Same thing on the south shore, within 20 miles of the Empire State Building. But, just one mile too far offshore.

The technology is what it is. Find someplace that IS on the grid, and read up on some of the many white papers form many vendors that will tell you what equipment gives you the best chance. Pricey? Maybe. Twenty years ago , it would have been a damned miracle at any price.
Old 15-03-2016, 11:21   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
autumn-
You shouldn't blame Microsoft if the users are too stupid to turn off automatic updates.
Unfortunately this changed with Windows 10. You cannot disable automatic updates (no matter how smart you are ) unless you manually configure your internet connection to "metered". Which, when using WiFi, is a nuisance if you happen to connect to various WiFi networks as you travel. If you have an on-board router, it is manageable since your WiFi network remains the same.

With the pro version, there is a way to disable Windows 10 updates via the registry.

I have to agree, this forced update model is a bit unfortunate for many reasons.
Old 15-03-2016, 11:30   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mark-
What MS has tried to do, and gotten a lot of flack over, is to turn on the automatic updates by default because year after year, malware gets worse and the users are too damned lazy a9or something else) to keep their security patches updated. Personally I keep mine off and give new updates a week or two before I'll take a gamble on downloading them, but I will keep security software set to nag me twice weekly to do that.
The registry can be a scary place. Easy to fubar a system in there. But, once word gets around about what the many undocumented entries mean and do...there's almost always a way to control anything from there. And given a little time (Win10 is not really deployed yet, no matter what anyone says) someone will come up with an app, a widget, an addition to God Mode, that makes it easy to turn off the updates for everyone. Or, if MS keeps getting flack--they may offer an update that does that.(G)
Another clever game they are playing, is that if you are on Win7 and Win10 is ready to intrude? Automatic updates no longer show any updates as being available or needed--unless you manually go after them. MS wants that Win10 deployment, real bad. And that's just corporate economics: Replace Vista, Win7, Win8, all in 32/64 and multiple editions, with just ONE OS to support. The savings on support staffing costs are way more than the cost of giving away a free OS. And to give them credit--there are some things they've finally improved. A little. Sometimes.
Old 15-03-2016, 12:10   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

glad for my non windoze chromebook asking me if i wanna update.
mebbe i need designated windoze updating puter just to keep up.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:41   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chromebook just swaps a different set of problems. Everything is on the cloud, potentially insecure and requiring an internet connection to fetch it. Google are no angels either. And if you see Larry or Sergey? Tell them to please call their mother.
Old 15-03-2016, 14:03   #54

Boat: Catalina C-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mark-
And given a little time (Win10 is not really deployed yet, no matter what anyone says) someone will come up with an app, a widget, an addition to God Mode, that makes it easy to turn off the updates for everyone. Or, if MS keeps getting flack--they may offer an update that does that.(G)
Here it is: GWX Control Panel - This program lets you (step-by-step) get rid off or stop ALL FUTURE Win10 activity on your computer: Ultimate Outsider: Using GWX Control Panel to Permanently Remove the 'Get Windows 10' Icon
Old 15-03-2016, 20:35   #55

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Hey hellosailor lets get rid of all the warning labels and let Darwinism sort things out. People shouldn't have to hack their computer to turn off updates. You sound savvy enough to know how Google works, so spend some time searching for articles about people smoking their metered Internet connections due to microsofts move. It's clearly a problem for those of us cruising and trying to take advantage of marina wifi. I can't go around to every boat and offer to turn it off. I suffer the consequences of Microsoft ramming win10 down everybody's throat. So it turns out I can blame them. They will be supporting multiple oses for a long time, pushing Windows 10 is about collecting your information aka spying on you and delivering u ads. Both of which take additional bandwidth which is in short supply in many parts of the world. So yep, microsofts fault.

I'm going to write bill a letter, and tell him how disappointed I am, and also ask what is the hold up on the laser mosquito defense system.

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific
Old 15-03-2016, 20:52   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"pushing Windows 10 is about collecting your information aka spying on you and delivering u ads. "
And they'd have to be real fools not to do it that way. The public acceptance and applause for Google and Android has pretty much confirmed that most users don't care about privacy, they're glad to sell everything that way, in exchange for lower software costs. Look at how popular gmail is, when Google examines every word in every message.
I had an aunt who literally didn't know which end of a claw hammer to use on nails. Needless to say, she wasn't allowed to hammer things. And fortunately, she was bright enough to realize that and not *try* to hammer things by herself. Computers? Sure, they can be improved. But the user base...that's gonna be harder to fix.

Tags
wifi, reception

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: