Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 12:58   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Wifi Rant

I cruised for in the late 80's. Communicatons at the time was letters or telegraphs. I would tell people where we were headed and then they would send mail to general delivery or the harbor masters office. I kept those letters for about 20 years till they were destroyed by a leak.

It is funny but it is almost universal that a blog includes information about where to get Wifi. "If you have a 600 giggle hurts antenna with a bipolar antenna and exactly .37589432 meters of # 16 coaxial cable in white. It is very easy to get Wifi in (insert the foreign port here)."

Opening a letter was so much more real then getting an email. The stamps were fantastic. I kept a journal in a notebook. At the back of the notebook I had a list with everyone I had sent letters to and when and if they had written back. After a certain point if I didn't get a letter back I would put them on the Christmas Card list and If there was no Christmas card then crossed them off of the list.

I remember the harbor masters office in Tahiti. "Oh here is a letter for Seahawk that will be waiting for them when they get here. Oh this one is for Christopher Robin. They left yesterday. I think we might catch them in Fiji." Were thoughts that crossed my mind as I scored the mother lode of eight letters wit information from a month previous." I right this as my computer downloads 64 emails b/c I didn't turn it on yesterday.

Not sure of the reason for this post. Just find it funny how much the internet has become the focus of our lives. Because I am not a full time cruiser I tend to wait till I get home before posting pix and stories on the internet. I don't want the bad guys to know when I am gone.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 13:01   #2

Re: Wifi Rant

It is a little easy to get addicted (or reliant, if that's more palatable) to the Internet for folks. It's fun, has tons of stuff at your fingertips, and a lot of socialization takes place online (which really isn't a bad thing).

Kind of nice though because unless you have the money for a big sat phone bill if you want reliable access you're going to be stuck to marinas for the most part. Thins the heard a bit.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 13:30   #3

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39

Similarly, historians are already lamenting the loss of paper photographs due to digital photography. For 150 years or so, photographs clearly captured an instance of time for the future to interrogate. Just before digital photographs, it was common to expose a roll of film, develop the entire thing, perhaps display a few pictures, and store the rest for the future. Today, it's common to take thousands of cheap, "disposable" pictures and then print perhaps only a handful. The rest are either deleted or stored on media that will be unreadable in 25 years - either because the media has degraded or the hardware needed to read the media is outdated.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 14:42   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

In the early-mid ninties we cruised the Eastern Caribbean, home based in Trinidad so we could go back to earn some money then get back on the boat. Peakes was being built, Power Boats, TTYC, and the Yacht Club was really the only place to hang out. A couple years later, Crews Inn was built at the old Bauxite dock. Sitting at the bar at Crews Inn, mid afternoon, we observed most of the boats there were American, most of the boats anchored in Chagaramus were European. There was no sign of life on the docks around the American boats. Everyone had internet connections and cable TV. I thought then, and still feel the same way, why go through all the aggravation of owning and maintaining a boat, experience all the difficulties (experiences) that it takes to get there, then sit in front of a video display all day. There is such a good feeling to be sitting in the cockpit and seeing a boat come in that you really didn't think you would ever see again. Making real friends, not virtual friends, are more meaningful. I agree there is a wealth of info available online, but to sail away is to escape. If you have to be that connected, you could avoid getting seasick by just staying home. It seems as if you can't leave the dock until you have all the newest, most technical gear, then dread the thought of it breaking down. Guess I'm just not adjusting.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 14:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wifi Rant

Hey 'Keepondancin'......
Greetings from another 'Mal-adjusted' ole geezer....
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:04   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I kept a journal in a notebook.
I started many journals in notebooks. Lost most of them before February.

The only journal I have ever managed to keep for longer than 3 weeks at a time is my blog... perhaps it's a generation thing. Perhaps it's because it's easier to stick photos in there now we have digital cameras to boot. Perhaps it's because I know people will read it, including some family members who still show an interest in me...

Technology has its uses, and Wifi isn't all bad!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:16   #7
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Ahh gentlemen... I ferl yer pain, and in honour of it I award to each of you;

and your own personal burgee of the Buggy Whip Yacht Club, which sails out of the better past into the unknown future ; -)

Change is hard, but usually survivable!

After all, look where I met ya!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:23   #8

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

We cruised occasionly in the late 70's too. Electronics consisted of an AM radio that rarely worked but cost about $1200 in 80's dollars, a radio direction finder, a depth finder with a spinning red light, and a CB radio for backup communication. Boy, do I miss the "good old days".
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmmmmmmmm..... nice whip Sara....
Wotcha doing next w/end....
Pity I've already booked someone for Easter.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phoca_thumb_l_NIKKI%209%20087.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	26519  
Old 23-04-2011, 15:26   #10
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

heh... now why am I not surprised that YOU jumped on that like white on rice?

; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:36   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
heh... now why am I not surprised that YOU jumped on that like white on rice?

; -)
YouTube - JAMES TAYLOR - GETTING TO KNOW YOU

Figured you'd enjoy 'JT' a bit more than Deborah Kerr.....
Old 23-04-2011, 16:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
In the early-mid ninties we cruised the Eastern Caribbean, home based in Trinidad so we could go back to earn some money then get back on the boat. Peakes was being built, Power Boats, TTYC, and the Yacht Club was really the only place to hang out. A couple years later, Crews Inn was built at the old Bauxite dock. Sitting at the bar at Crews Inn, mid afternoon, we observed most of the boats there were American, most of the boats anchored in Chagaramus were European. There was no sign of life on the docks around the American boats. Everyone had internet connections and cable TV. I thought then, and still feel the same way, why go through all the aggravation of owning and maintaining a boat, experience all the difficulties (experiences) that it takes to get there, then sit in front of a video display all day. There is such a good feeling to be sitting in the cockpit and seeing a boat come in that you really didn't think you would ever see again. Making real friends, not virtual friends, are more meaningful. I agree there is a wealth of info available online, but to sail away is to escape. If you have to be that connected, you could avoid getting seasick by just staying home. It seems as if you can't leave the dock until you have all the newest, most technical gear, then dread the thought of it breaking down. Guess I'm just not adjusting.
i think it was more because all the usa boats had aircon ,and the euro trash had to rely on the breeze in the anchourage for cooling.

also most of the euro boats were on their way,where as the us boats had come to the end of the road
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:16   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Yeah the good old days ...... they're gone, gone, gone.
Old 23-04-2011, 16:40   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
...if you want reliable access you're going to be stuck to marinas for the most part. Thins the heard a bit.
NO true. With the right antenna, you can anchor out (somewhere near town) and get lots of wifi. Course these days you have to pay. I Georgetown I paid $15 for a week.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 16:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
NO true. With the right antenna, you can anchor out (somewhere near town) and get lots of wifi. Course these days you have to pay. I Georgetown I paid $15 for a week.

Margo
It's true on the west coast. Even on the Channel Islands which are ~30 miles from LA, you're not getting anything except for two harbors both on a single island. The others are completely devoid of coverage.

Mexcio is crummy as well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote