Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2019, 15:30   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Wifi Range Extenders 2017

Call Islandtime PC he is or was a cruiser I think in a Westsail 32.
He is just North of Panama City Fl and I think works out of his house, been around for quite awhile.
I should have gotten one, but the Cell part of the WiriePro sucked me in, and Iíve never used that part so I guess I donít need it.
If your networking smart, Iím not Iím told that you can buy a bullet much cheaper yourself and set one up, but apparently people like me will fail if we try, cause itís not easy or intuitive.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 15:32   #47
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 45' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Re: Wifi Range Extenders 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Bumping an old thread. We have been using a Wirie Pro for several years and it has worked well. We have not used the cell side of it, so I guess I donít need that.

Anyway today it went down. It keeps telling me my password is incorrect. It would do that once in a while but now itís constant.

BIG SUPRISE - Wife is outnof business. Help email, which was always answered promptly brought back an automated Out Of Business Thank You for last support message.

We are cruising the Carribean and still have our Verizon accounts. But with us moving country to country so much I donít know about trying to go strictly with cell. And I need to make a decision quick so I can get something shipped to St Martin while Iím still here.

So I see the Island Time set up. Iím tempted by there package. Can someone tell me about the user interface? Iím not interested in getting all techy.

Is there any reasonable alternative?
Take a look at this blog post, it may help formulate your thoughts on alternative. https://www.sea-tech.com/2018/12/30/...e-for-my-boat/
Old 01-01-2019, 15:44   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks, just what I needed.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:27   #49

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Bumping an old thread. We have been using a Wirie Pro for several years and it has worked well. We have not used the cell side of it, so I guess I donít need that.

Anyway today it went down. It keeps telling me my password is incorrect. It would do that once in a while but now itís constant.

BIG SUPRISE - Wife is outnof business. Help email, which was always answered promptly brought back an automated Out Of Business Thank You for last support message.

We are cruising the Carribean and still have our Verizon accounts. But with us moving country to country so much I donít know about trying to go strictly with cell. And I need to make a decision quick so I can get something shipped to St Martin while Iím still here.

So I see the Island Time set up. Iím tempted by there package. Can someone tell me about the user interface? Iím not interested in getting all techy.

Is there any reasonable alternative?
Two things. If you followed this post from the beginning, you saw our setup. Until the cellular days (and still, when cell isn't happening), I relied on that setup, and frequently was on email and newsgroups (pre-forum days) 7 miles offshore, both in the US and in the Bahamas. One such was sailing under Staniel and being on the Sampson Cay WiFi of the time, prior to its going private.

If you want WiFi, Bob Stewart and ITPC is definitely the way to go. I can't say enough about his customer service, and I defy you to find any negative reference to either him or his business, anywhere.

All that said, the world is moving to cellular data interface. I mostly, for the last several years, have used my phone's hotspot to provide me the bandwidth aboard (my computer, admiral's phone, any visitors, e.g.).

However, over in the Facebook world, Leo Tripp and My Island WiFi are making hotspots real again. AND...

He's about to roll out the anywhere-in-the-Caribbean version of the Bahamas, now operating, and Central/South America, in startup, hotspot. His hotspot will work with US chips, too, and is live, now, for that.

No interest other than got into conversation with him during admitting him to the Bahamas Cruising and Sailing group I moderate.

Here's his FB presence:
https://www.facebook.com/myislandwifi/

If you were happy with your Wirie, you'd be happy with IslandTimePC's wireless, for sure. Bob will sell you just what you need if you can continue to use some of your Wirie system, or, I'd bet, he'd also show you how to reboot it, just cuz he's that kind of guy (in fact, that's how I met him, about 15 years ago, when I was hacking around a vendor's gear that clearly would not work the way it was promoted to do, and I'd just about given up talking to folks who claimed to have just what I did; he solved the issue simply and completely, and I've spent every computer- and WiFi-related dollar since then with him).

All that said, do give Leo a shout, as I'd bet that's just what you actually need, albeit at a continuing cost rather than free after purchase such as is the case with your WiFi.

Hope that helps...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:02   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks Skip,

Good to hear from you again. If you recall we met in Vero last winter and renews a newsgroup aquaitence. SAFARA, yellow steel boat.

I sent Bob an email yesterday, awaiting a reply.

hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender, wifi