Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 07:04   #16

Boat: Buying Jun 2012
Re: WiFi Camera for Vessel Security

Quote:
The marina has cameras, but unless I can tell them exactly which day we had the break in they won't go through the footage. There is also an electronically keyed gate that monitors key logs. Unfortunately the information is stored by user and not by gate. They can't look at the dock gate info and see who has been in and out, just a specific key to see when you used it. The system is to monitor YOU not your boat.
Seems like your marina is not so big on customer service....you are paying for a secure area to store your boat. Why won't these folks take an interest in your issue? I would be very unhappy with that marina. I don't care a rat's patooty about signs that say "store your own risk" or anything else like that. IF I was the marina owner and someone was stealing from my customers I would take it very personally.

This is a comment about responsibility and customer service, I am not asking for the legal ramifications or any "lawyer-ese" accounting about what is legal here.
F15EWSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:22   #17

Swann makes a wireless camera & miniature DVR system called the Red Alert, or Blue Alert, depending on where you buy it. It is small, relatively inexpensive as CCTV systems go & has a fair picture quality. I forget how many cameras you could hook up to it. I only used it with 1. I think that it would take at least 2 & maybe 3 or 4.

I have also used a game cam from Moultree. The game cam had much better quality pictures & much better detection performance. The Swann system was motion detection only. The Moultree used IR detection if I remember correctly.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:57   #18

Some guy here in Puerto Escondido has a camera up on his mast, with the dome downward, if that makes sense. Looks pretty weird, I'll try to get a picture of it the next chance I get. It really makes me wonder what the value is considering the cost, power, view from ~50' in the sky, and cabling.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:58   #19

BRO WHAT YOU NEED IS A GUN AND AN ANCHOR
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 20:17   #20

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSailors View Post
The marina has cameras, but unless I can tell them exactly which day we had the break in they won't go through the footage. There is also an electronically keyed gate that monitors key logs. Unfortunately the information is stored by user and not by gate. They can't look at the dock gate info and see who has been in and out, just a specific key to see when you used it. The system is to monitor YOU not your boat.
Does the term "inside Job" come to mind? If someone is looking the other way you have to wonder if they're involved.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31   #21

Boat: Catalina C-42

I am using a Foscam IP camera aboard my boat when we are away. The camera will detect sound or motion and sends me an e-mail with 6 snapshots when sound or motion is detected. You can also pan and tilt the camera remotely and it also has a mic so you can listen to what is going on via the internet. The camera was about $80. It also has an infrared light source so the camera can "see" at night. I also use 2 of these cameras in my home when we're on the boat.

Not connected with Foscam but am a happy customer.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53   #22

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am trying to find a news story from a few years ago where a home computer with camera and software emailed the house owner at work when thieves entered.

I think it detected the movement. Also stored pictures of the theives who actually stole the computer that was filming them... so it muct have stored the pics online.

It was a great story how a bit of tech can help catch a crook.
I once owned a retail store that I wanted to monitor from my home (about five miles away). I rigged a dialer up to the phone line (really - it was an old modem), ran a little computer program that detected switches (on the doors), and had it call me when the switches were activated! Total cost (not including the old computer used) was about ten bucks. I sent the police out there twice based on the system.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42   #23

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I occasionally do security camera installations for my customers, so I've had some exposure to what's available. You have a number of options available, depending on how much you want to spend, how handy you are, and what kind of access you have to the internet. My suggestions are related to one company, only. They have been very helpful and effective, but there are others out there, so this is a qualified endorsement based on my personal experiences.

If you have access to the internet, via an on-board server and wireless internet provider, and if you have the desire and resources, then a mega-pixel camera system, (four is a good number of cameras), a recorder with the capacity for access from a remote location, and a good hard drive, plus an on-board source of power (an inverter makes it ideal), then you might look into these:
Security Cameras Direct - Solstice 4-Channel Mini Embedded NVR with 2TB Hard Drive
Megapixel Security Cameras from Security Cameras Direct

For those with no remote access and fewer resources, willing to live with merely good resolution and coverage, and having only 12 volt DC power, try these:
Car DVRs and Vehicle DVR Recorders
Security Cameras Direct - Wide Angle 550 TVL Color Bullet Security Camera

I occasionally loan my spare camera/recorder system to people for covert surveillance of their boats when they suspect illegal activities are being conducted on their property. The results have been very positive for my friends, very unhelpful for the perps.

I can't confirm or deny the presence of such systems on my own vessel because that would take away some of the entertainment that life provides to all of us. I can say that having three of the 170 degree cameras, mounted discretely, can provide complete coverage of a neighborhood around one's boat, in very low light levels. Having a fourth channel allows you to have a camera that can pan, tilt and zoom, and see in absolute darkness, while lying in your bunk. Being able to do all of that with Go-Pro type resolution and the ability to do it from afar can be handy. Seeing bad boys being carted off by the harbor police, and being able to send the cops a digital file for the court record, well, that's frosting on the cake.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42   #24

Boat: Oyster 53

Obviously this is a less than ideal situation and I agree with the comments on how lame your marina is.

It seems to me mounting the camera inside the salon would have several advantages: easier to mount, easier to connect and easier to hide. Also, you only want it activated only when someone actually enters the boat.

Sadly, it is very often other sailors who board boats uninvited and "borrow" things. Having a few pictures of the culprit may be enlightening and depending on who it is a further course of action would then be clear.

Good luck and don't be afraid to "name and shame."

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58   #25

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

After several years of half-hearted video security, my yacht club is finally moving into the world of first-class video surveillance. Having had a cop-killer penetrate our security perimeter and attempt to kidnap an older member and his boat, this last year, has added impetus to this effort. The mere presence of a sophisticated video system doesn't ensure added security, but it helps. Even Fort Knox is potentially vulnerable. An old adage in the security field is: "You can't make anything truly secure; all you can do is make it noisy, time-consuming and potentially dangerous to attempt to penetrate".
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:42   #26

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Have you let the liveaboards in your marina know of the problem? I once discovered a couple of burglars when I came home from work late and saw lights on in a boat that I knew had been broken into on at least two previous occasions.
A quick call to the local LEOS and the problem was solved.

Tags
camera, security