What Makes Bitstorm BAD BOYs Different
Note: Some characteristics are identical and have been noted.
• Up to 36dBm (4W) power output. (Same as Bullet)
• Small size allowing for unobtrusive installation
in any convenient location. (Same as Bullet)
• Specially designed high gain omni-directional antenna
tuned precisely to provide maximum coverage in the smallest package. (Xtreme N & MJ)
• IP65 (Xtreme N - Same as Bullet) and IP67 (Xtreme MJ) rated allowing for permanent outdoor installation.
• Can be installed up to 300' (90m) away. Masthead installation is the absolute best in range and unobstructed reception
. (Xtreme N & MJ) (Same as Bullet)
• Bitstorm developed firmware ensures simplicity in operation with a minimum of button clicks.
• Country selection to ensure compatibility and compliance no matter where in the world you are.
• Hotspot access keys (wifi passwords) are saved. These can be backed up and restored to prevent loss.
• Automatic adjustment of device capabilities to assist in conforming to selected country's Wi-Fi regulations
and limitations to keep you legal
. (Xtreme N & MJ, Unleashed N)
• Expandable: connect multiple computers
, networking switches, network printers, etc. Whatever you need. (Same as Bullet)
conformal coating on the printed circuit board keeps the environment
off the electronic circuitry. (Xtreme N & MJ)
• No software
drivers to load. Everything needed is already built into your operating system - Windows, Mac, Linux
, whatever. (Same as Bullet)
• Everything controlled from your favourite browser. (Same as Bullet)
• Friendly URL access. Simply enter 'xtreme.wifi/' or 'unleashed.wifi/' into your favourite browser. No cryptic IP addresses or numbers. Other friendly URLs include 'badboy.xtreme/' or 'badboy.unleashed/'. Or use '10.20.30.1/' (for Xtreme) and '10.20.30.2/' (for Unleashed).
• Choose from a variety of mounting options: pole, rail, flat surface/wall, backstay or standard 1-14 (Xtreme N only) covering any mounting requirement.
• Cable is outdoor rated: custom designed for Bitstorm, shielded, PVC jacketed and UV protected, black.
• Can be powered directly by 5-30Vdc (M-POE-DUO-S15.5 Power Injector) or from 100-250Vac via a power adapter, so it will operate anywehere in the world. Output is regulated at 15.5Vdc.
• Ignition noise/spike protected, start delayed until power stabilizated, short circuit current
limited, thermal shutdown and reverse polarity protected (all provided by included Power Injector).
• Includes a Remote
Reset button on Power Injector, so you don't need to climb up anything to do a reset after forgetting a password.
• Power miserly: typically only draws 100-200mA. (Same as Bullet)
• Lithium dielectric corrosion
inhibitor included for use on connectors to prevent corrosion
. (Xtreme N & MJ)
• Future proof: Free firmware updates. Latest features and capabilities will always be available.
• Shipped in anti-static bags to ensure it arrives alive.
• Works worldwide, shipped worldwide. (similar to Bullet and depends on International or North American version)
Barebones Ubiquiti Bullet Limitations
Bitstorm has custom developed the firmware to make connecting to hotspots simple, easy and quick. Most settings are automatically controlled and configured for maximum performance and are therefore not shown to users. Each firmware version goes though months of testing prior to release. The following are issues that can be found when using a Ubiquiti Bullet with its native firmware:
• Firmware is intended for a network engineer
, not a typical untrained user.
• Complex configuration - many settings that if configured incorrectly, will prevent the Bullet from connecting to a hotspot or if connected, will cause poor performance.
• Operates natively in bridge mode, so finding its IP address may be challenging. Can be set to router mode, but will be returned to bridge mode on reset.
• No access key (hotspot password) retention. Only the most recently used is saved. If returning to a previously accessed hotspot, the access key will need to be re-entered.
• Country selection is requested once on first login and then locked and cannot be changed. When travelling and visiting different countries, capabilites and ability to connect to hotspots can be restricted if the incorrect country is being used. To reselect a country, a hard reset will be required.
• Reset button brings it back to the Ubiquiti firmware default state.
• No acrylic
conformal coating for electronic circuit card protection.
• Limited support - Ubiquiti does not offer a phone
number to call when issues arise.
• Addition of a local access point (to allow connection with iPads, Androids, iPhones, etc.) will require the configuration of a hotspot without DHCP, NAT etc. which can be confusing to typical users.
• IMPORTANT: While the Bullet is reverse polarity protected, it does this by shorting the pins in the ethernet connector that supply the power. While the electronics in the Bullet are safe from harm with this method, in an unprotected circuit this situation can result in melted cable or worse, fire. Do not try this at home!