Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-08-2012, 14:22   #106

Boat: Sandpiper 565
Re: WIFI Amplification, Feb 2012: How Far , How Fast , How Much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
My marina also uses Beacon wifi. I'd like to setup a router to connect to it (linksys with ddwrt) so I can share my connection throughout my boat. But I'm stuck because they use a browser based login screen. I can't find any information about bypassing the splash screen and logging directly to their routers with my username+password via ddwrt (or any type of router).
As per mrm's answer... some 'public' access points (eg restaurants, marinas) would like you to complete a web login before you get full access. This is presented for a few reasons - control (eg password required on the web page), a chance to display some advertising, or simply to make you aware of who's giving you free internet.

Sometimes there's also a timer, a usage cap, or some other form of user restriction. Internet access is not always an infinite resource, so in some cases it's reasonable to let users check their email and the weather and browse some web, but not download 10 movies from Netflicks.

Anyway, the starting point is to set up your boat network to receive the marina wifi and to share that connection on your boat. It may be the case that only one active browser per marina connection is possible... or you might be able to make multiple connections.

Old 03-08-2012, 16:36   #107

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: WIFI Amplification, Feb 2012: How Far , How Fast , How Much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
As per mrm's answer... some 'public' access points (eg restaurants, marinas) would like you to complete a web login before you get full access. This is presented for a few reasons - control (eg password required on the web page), a chance to display some advertising, or simply to make you aware of who's giving you free internet.

Sometimes there's also a timer, a usage cap, or some other form of user restriction. Internet access is not always an infinite resource, so in some cases it's reasonable to let users check their email and the weather and browse some web, but not download 10 movies from Netflicks.

Anyway, the starting point is to set up your boat network to receive the marina wifi and to share that connection on your boat. It may be the case that only one active browser per marina connection is possible... or you might be able to make multiple connections.

I currently use the connection via a usb antenna. I can stay connected all day and download all I want. But, I can't make multiple connections, like with my phone & laptop, at the same time.

I still haven't tried again, but I think the problem I had was that ddwrt wasn't searching for wifi connections, so I had to enter everything manually, and somehow I wasn't able to enter the login information (and I assumed I had to)... Anyway, like I said, I'll fool with it again and see if I can figure it out. Atleast I know somebody out there is using beacon and a similar setup, so I know it can be done now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: