Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 16:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
WiFi

I,need help.After reading all the post regarding wifi reception alng the water way,I,ordered from Kenan a long range wifi set up they recomended,Now thebig question,at Best Buy I,purchased a Virgin Ovation Broadband to go MC760 and a Virgin Mobile minute top up.If I plug the Broadband M760 receiver in will the lng range antenna work.I am told you have to pay for internet ,the reason for buying the Virgin Mobile top up.
Thank you for any insight ,
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 18:33   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: WiFI

Wow, that's a bit of a jumbled description.

Is this correct: the virgin device is a USB fob that you insert a sim card into for connecting data over cell towers to your computer and the Kenan device is some type of wifi radio with an external antenna for connecting to wifi access points - probably also a usb connection or perhaps ethernet?

Without knowing specifics and what you want to accomplish, I can only offer the following generalities:
1. the antenna on the wifi device will not work connected to a cell device (and vice versa) - it is tuned at the wrong frequencies.
2. you can have both devices connected to your computer at the same time, but why would you? You would only need one at a time to provide internet access.
3. if the wifi device contains a router, you may be able to plug the cell device into the router and access it wirelessly - check out cradlepoint and similar routers.
4. all cellular connections will cost money. Some wifi access points will be free, while others will cost money.

Without a clearer description of what you have and what you want to accomplish, it is difficult to be more specific.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36   #3

Hi Mark, i like to have internet on board too.
1) In Dutch waters, untill 7 miles offshore I use a public cellphone network. I got a laptop stick, (like yours) from Vodafone and have to pay €20 a month with download free (normal use).
2) In other countries I am using WIFI (limited distance 300m) with a good arial, sometimes free but most times I have to pay 5 to 10 euro's. High download speed and no limid. But you need a good arial. I got a good one, the "turbo WIFI usb"

Broach
broach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 20:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

500mW High Power 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHZ 150Mbps USB Wireless Network Dongle (27dBi)

500mW High Power 150Mbps USB Wireless Network Dongle (27dBi 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHZ) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

- Color: Black
- Material: Plastic
- Chipset: Ralink 3070
- Frequency: 2.4GHZ
- Interface: USB 2.0
- Supports 802.11b/g/n
- Transmission rate: 150Mbps
- Power: 500mW
- Transmission distance: 500m (indoor) /1000m (outdoor)
- Supports 64/128bit WEP encryption, WPA/WPA2 and WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryption, WIFI Protected
Setup (WPS)
- Supports OS: Windows 2000/XP/vista/windows7/Linux and MAC OS X
- With 27dBi dual antenna
- Package includes:
- 1 x USB cable (112cm)
- 2 x CD
- 1 x English user manual
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote