Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 16:39   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
This is what I got this year. Haven't tried it yet but will do so in a couple of weeks when I splash the boat, if I ever finish the bottom paint. delivered to FL 2 days after ordering.

Netgate
Looks promising. Can you post back results when you get a bit of use on it? Thanks.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 16:43   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If I can get online.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
The weak point of the netgate system is the 20' of lmr200 coax. Losses in this cable will halve your output power and degrade the receive sensitivity both of which are important when dealing with AP's at a distance.

Keep your coax as short as possible and if possible use a minimum of lmr400 for runs over 4 feet.

Bob Stewart
W32PAMELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13   #19

Boat: Schock 35
We are using the long range USB system from Broadband Express with great results.

shoppingCart
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 17:48   #20

Alfa USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
Hideaway, what antenna are you using with the Alfa?

I am using a USB cantenna now, good range at a dock but it is useless on anchor.
The device came with two masts, a short one for table use I think and one about 12inchs long. I wrap this in a plastic bag and tie it off the topping lift and take an extended USB lead into the saloon and plug into my Toshiba laptop. regards Peter
hideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 04:04   #21

Boat: Lagoon 420
Has anyone any experience with this beast of an antenna / transmitter? Wouldn't be practicable on a smaller boat with energy budget but 630mW through an antenna gain of 19dBi gives this one a claimed range of 25 miles.
Old 13-11-2007, 04:48   #22

How's it working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideaway View Post
The device came with two masts, a short one for table use I think and one about 12inchs long. I wrap this in a plastic bag and tie it off the topping lift and take an extended USB lead into the saloon and plug into my Toshiba laptop. regards Peter
Sounds simple which I like, what kind of range are you getting? Does it work OK from anchor with the boat swinging? Signals fade in and out with our directional one as the boat swings even though it has good range it isn't workable at anchor.

Thanks.
Old 13-11-2007, 17:21   #23

The Alfa comes with a CD which provides drivers and a program which shows the WiFi stations that are about what their strenghts are and adress details, I am looking for FREE contacts. A signal can be swichted off by its owner or go down in strenght so one has to retune from time to time, boat movement is not a problem execpt when one is hit by a speed-boat wake and one rolls thro 15 or more degrees. I cannot say what the range is of the device, however it is showing some 12 contacts now with strenghts from 80% down to 35%. The Toshiba WiFi shows three stations, only one of which is strong enough to log onto; it however is a locked station and I can not go on-line thro it. The Tosiba comes with a neat program which shows what WiFi stations are about, which ones are FREE and those which are locked. It also gives information as to troubles of contacting signals. As you have no doubt gathered, I am not very knowledgable, perhaps you could check with Alfas site on the net. Hope the information is of use to you. Good luck
hideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 06:14   #24

Hideaway, thanks, much good info. Will check their website for the specs on it, but for real world use your experience is much more valuable to me.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:06   #25

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'
wifi antenna

saw excellent results from a wifi antenna aboard a buddy boat we sailed from louperon, dominican republic to spanish wells, bahamas along with. they had a super wifi antenna purchased from Crane's - Fine Stationery, holiday cards, personalized stationery, wedding invitations, birth announcements & more for $99.95
several times in bahamas we just anchored off some houses we spoted on various islands & were able to access internet & use skype phone service quite successfully. jim s/v mello moon
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:29   #26

You have to be careful. many jurisdictions are making the unauthorized (in advance) use of wifi resources a crime. Seems like I read of someone lately who got slammed for big bucks for what at first blush looked like a relatively harmless intrusion. Big difference between 'public access' wifi, and 'unsecured private wifi"

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:38   #27

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
moonchaser, very strange link for a wifi antenna

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 13:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Oh my - they are selling an Engenius USB adaptor and antenna for $400!

If you source these same items separately, you can save $330.

Newegg.com - EnGenius EUB-362EXT 802.11g High Power 200mW Wireless USB Adapter w/ Removable Antenna - Retail
Newegg.com - EnGenius EAG-2408 Outdoor 8 dBi Omni-Directional Antenna - Retail

I can vouch that the Engenius is a very good solution. I have one attached to a 9dB omni and have connected to the internet from over 6 miles away (over water) and regularly connect 2-4 miles away. But I wouldn't pay $400 for it.

Mark
I can vouch for Newegg. They are, without a doubt, the best online retailer I have ever done business with (I do almost all my buying online).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 14:07   #29

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'
guess i should read what i write! try C. Crane Company, Inc.
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 15:04   #30

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
Looks promising. Can you post back results when you get a bit of use on it? Thanks.
Been using netgate antenna for a few weeks. Excellent, many times don't even need the big antenna, just the little genius works wonders. easy to configure, worked without using or reading the manual. Worth every penny. Talking on Skype for .024 cents per minute instead of .50 cents in the Bahamas. At this rate will break even after 400 minutes! Crossed a couple of days ago. Still beautiful in the Bahamas.

Tags
antenna