Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 08:48   #1

wi-fi/camera cellular modem with auto-reconnect?

I am trying to find a surveillance camera or a Wi-Fi mobile hot spot (to support a surveillance camera) that can auto-reconnect to cellular service if disconnected.

Anybody know if that exists?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 09:12   #2

Re: wi-fi/camera cellular modem with auto-reconnect?

Cellular security cameras exist. They are rather expensive due to being a specialized piece of kit. For example: GSM CDMA Cameras "Cell-Eye-Remote"tm Wireless Cellular (Quad GSM) Solar CCTV Security Camera & Alarm & Remote Interface Controls [Eye-02] SnapShot 1-5 Megapixel

A Google search for "cellular security camera" will turn up several other options.

Most cellular hotspots will auto-reconnect to the cellular network. Setting up a hotspot with a separate wifi-based security camera has the benefit of also providing network connectivity for other devices.
mrichmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:45   #3

Mrich,

The 2 AT&T compatible Mobile Hot Spots I know of won't do the job of staying connected or reconnecting if disconnected.

I tried the AT&T UnitePro and over night it disconnected and requires you to be on the boat to manually press the reconnect button.

Searching for "cellular security camera" turned up the Sierra Wireless AT&T Elevate MHS but users warn it cannot process data while plugged in and charging. And it shuts down if left plugged in.

I need to leave the MHS plugged in continuously while absent the boat for weeks.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you.
Old 29-03-2016, 12:46   #4

Oh, and that Cell Eye is not available in the USA...
Old 29-03-2016, 17:54   #5

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

How about a fail over router w cell backup? Cradlepoint makes a cheap unit, MBR95 that works pretty well. I'd hook it's WAN port to your flavor of wireless booster, connect a wifi camera to the routers wifi and hang a 3/4G usb modem married to your data plan for fail over internet. Get a DynDNS account for a hostname that'll always work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 18:36   #6

I found a couple of Sprint and Verizon based cellular hotspot devices that have a setting to allow automatic reconnection to the cellular network. These were found by a google search for "mifi automatic connect" or "cellular hotspot automatic connect".

For example
Looking at the ATT Unite Mobile hotspot manual it appears that there is a sleep timeout setting that controls when the device goes to sleep. This setting might have a "never" option.

From a technical standpoint, an always-on (with auto-reconnect) cellular hotspot with a wifi camera should meet your stated goal. But it'll take some experimenting/research to find the right devices.
mrichmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 13:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
I am trying to find a surveillance camera or a Wi-Fi mobile hot spot (to support a surveillance camera) that can auto-reconnect to cellular service if disconnected.

Anybody know if that exists?
Rock-Head's and mrichmon's suggestions seem closest to an off-the-shelf solution. Otherwise, you're looking at some sort of custom solution, though the requirement isn't all that difficult to implement.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:26   #8

Thanks for your interest in my problem people…

Rockhead
The issue with the Cradlepoint device is that it is not a cellular modem. You need to find your own cellular modem to connect to it:
“CradlePoint works with the most popular 4G/3G USB Modems from:AT&T, Bell Canada, Clearwire, Cricket, Rogers, Sprint, T-Mobile, Telus, US Cellular, Verizon Wireless, &….”
And therein lies the problem… where do I get one that doesn’t shut down on its own or is unable to auto-reconnect if signal is lost?

Mrichmon
I read through the manual you linked to but they are talking about “W-Fi auto connect” not “cell modem auto re-connect”, so stymied there as well.
Also, read through the AT&T Unite Pro users guide (aka the NetGear AirCard 781S Mobile Hotspot User Guide) and no mention of auto re-connect after disconnect. Further searches turned up a host of complaints from others of disconnection and the need for manually pushing a button to re-initiate, so no unattended operation possible apparently . I then waited out the support line at NetGear and they confirmed its not capable of an auto reconnect. Someone must be physically present to reset the device.

Lake effect
I guess it is a custom solution. Geez, you’d think someone would offer an auto-reconnect capability in a basic cellular modem hot spot?

Tags
camera, modem