Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2017, 11:20   #16

Re: Why is there no VHF mike near helm of charter sailboat

....and remotes mounted in the cockpit, particularly on charter boats, tend to be hard to keep working!
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 11:28   #17

Boat: Pearson 39 1987

Handheld and for the record about 20 charters all different companies all over Carib and never had a hh on a charter boat.
dszerlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 11:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszerlag View Post
Handheld and for the record about 20 charters all different companies all over Carib and never had a hh on a charter boat.
Our former boat (a 44' cat) was in charter for years, and we added a wired remote at the helm. BUT.....almost every time I came to the boat myself, it wasn't working. The biggest problem was the connector at the helm (that allowed removal) - constantly corroding and losing one or another contact.

Next time I would perhaps hard-wire it all the way from radio to remote -
but if it's always at the helm it's vulnerable to theft and deterioration due to exposure....but maybe with a well-protected connector inside and an enclosed locker of sorts at the helm.....

But always had at least TWO handhelds - if not three!
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 11:53   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Sailboaters never use the VHF anyway so why expect a microphone??
Old 28-07-2017, 11:56   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Why mount a radio at the helm?
The helmsman is busy full time steering the boat, and probably keeping an eye on the sail trim too.
The helmsman is rarely if ever alone on the boat, because any long distance solo sail, or even popping below for a head break, would be an illegal failure to keep watch while under way.
So there's always someone to send down to the radio. Which is going to be much more reliable when it is kept in the shelter of the cabin, as opposed to a wet cockpit.
Sailors deal with this, it is normal. and fixed radio installations are never really reliable, so most of us have at least one handheld on board, and that is often kept in the cockpit anyway.
Radios are normally optional equipment on pleasurecraft, simply having one installed and operating is a step above what is required.
Most of this post is contrary to my experience, especially the part about fixed installations not being reliable. A VHF not useable by the boat's operator is pretty much useless.
Old 28-07-2017, 12:04   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

That's a two way street. I've called many a powerboat, from sport fish to 65' motor-boat......usually no answer.....usually to ask them what side of the channel they would like me on since they couldn't make up their minds.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 12:34   #22

Boat: Beneteau 343

always good to bring a handheld on a charter; good for the dinghy as well as the cockpit
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 12:35   #23

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Smile Re: Why is there no VHF mike near helm of charter sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Why mount a radio at the helm?
The helmsman is busy full time steering the boat, and probably keeping an eye on the sail trim too.
The helmsman is rarely if ever alone on the boat, because any long distance solo sail, or even popping below for a head break, would be an illegal failure to keep watch while under way.
So there's always someone to send down to the radio. Which is going to be much more reliable when it is kept in the shelter of the cabin, as opposed to a wet cockpit.
Sailors deal with this, it is normal. and fixed radio installations are never really reliable, so most of us have at least one handheld on board, and that is often kept in the cockpit anyway.
Radios are normally optional equipment on pleasurecraft, simply having one installed and operating is a step above what is required.
In the real world folks single hand all of the time. At sailboat speeds you can safely duck below when you wish. I would agree that a high powered stinkpot should have at least 3 sober adults on board at all times. Once I become king of the world I will make it mandatory along with an alcohol monitor at the wheel of anything over 50 HP.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 12:38   #24

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Never approached a marina or fuel dock? Bad time to not be at the helm when getting directions over the VHF.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 12:42   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
Thanks for all the sympathetic replies. Yeah guess it's time to buy a handheld and add it to my "useful stuff not supplied by the charter company" bag. That bag gets bigger and bigger. Just seems like it's a no brainer and should be included in sailboat design as John_Trusty notes. I've chartered Cats with Sunsail, and monohulls with Moorings and Dream Yacht Charters and haven't seen hide no hair of a handheld VHF. Next time we charter I'll make it a point to ask for one.
I'll cost ya!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 16:20   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Always bring a handheld. Trusting anything a charter boat has is never a good idea.
Worth repeating...always bring a handheld VHF. You can use it anywhere, including at the helm. And you already know how to use it properly, cause its yours. Walmart, $99. Works great.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 05:00   #27

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Never approached a marina or fuel dock? Bad time to not be at the helm when getting directions over the VHF.
My point exactly. A handheld is an obvious solution and I intend to buy one. A remote Mike at or near the helm is a better solution though even with its inherent maintenance problems. Especially in an emergency. I want the height of the antenna at the top of the mast to send that signal as far as possible.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 05:20   #28

My own vessel lacks a VHF mike at the helm, I don't know why it's not de rigeur on all boats. Where are you likely to be when you need to make a ship-to-ship call? If there isn't a VHF mike at the helm, a good handheld is a must.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 05:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
I'll cost ya!
Always does. "And will you be wanting sails with your boat sir? There's an extra charge for that."
Old 29-07-2017, 06:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That's a two way street. I've called many a powerboat, from sport fish to 65' motor-boat......usually no answer.....usually to ask them what side of the channel they would like me on since they couldn't make up their minds.
Yeah we've all met that guy. And his brother.

Once when operating commercially out of Boston Harbor in a very narrow slipway (North side of Long Wharf) a big Sea Ray bristling with antennas and every kind of electronic device known to man comes idling in. I'm going ahead on a spring line waiting my turn to leave. Two vessels are in the fairway inbound and this Yahoo is giving his buddies a narrated tour of the harbor. I get on the VHF to tell the guy he's about to find himself in extremis with a very large steel vessel that will barely notice when it crushes him. He's so close I can see down into his boat. And the guys radio is not even on. Doesn't do much good to have all that stuff if you don't turn it on.

That having been said, as one who does use his radio I like to have it close at hand.

Tags
boat, charter, helm, sail, sailboat, vhf