Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 06:23   #31

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Why is the Icom M802s not available from vendors?

and this...

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1072912...07-29-2016.pdf
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:58   #32

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtrio View Post
A much more easily read version of that document is available as a PDF from

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...A-16-597A1.pdf

A link to that document appears in my article cited earlier in this thread at:

ICOM DSC Radio Not Fully Compliant - CONTINUOUSWAVE

Please note that the dispute between ICOM and the FCC that I wrote about was over a particular ICOM radio, the ICOM M412, and not the ICOM M802.

I don't have any information about why the FCC became so concerned with this particular ICOM radio, but it seems quite reasonable to speculate that if the M412 was non-compliant and cost ICOM quite a substantial monetary forfeiture--FCC-speak for civil penalty or fine--then ICOM probably anticipated that if their newer models contained the same problem then selling them could lead to further fines; the remedy was to stop selling them before they got another notice of non-compliance and a fine.

The irony in the DSC compliance rulings from the FCC is that they are using a now-obsolete version of the recommended practices. The -13 version has been superseded by a -14 version of ITU-R M.493, but the FCC regulations have not been changed.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:01   #33

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Thanks for that cite. It is quite interesting.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:36   #34

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Why don't you go read the ICOM FCC filings instead of somebody else's 'spin'??

I've read it!
I am proud of you, initially it seemed improbable that you could read. I can now say I have read it to, thanks to DotDun, and a few of your references, but admit that I still do not fully understand. There is something lurking there that is not visible to the unknowing such as myself, nor, I think even to the technically adept, although perhaps to the properly connected and well tuned insider.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:44   #35

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I am proud of you, initially it seemed improbable that you could read. I can now say I have read it to, thanks to DotDun, and a few of your references, but admit that I still do not fully understand. There is something lurking there that is not visible to the unknowing such as myself, nor, I think even to the technically adept, although perhaps to the properly connected and well tuned insider.
Hey, you asked for an 'unspun' version, disregarding everyone's comments on CF as garbage. I told you where to go look......it's certainly not surprising to me you still don't understand.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:51   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Ha ha ha....
I know....El Trumpo put a 30% import Tax on them so Icom stopped shipping to the USA in retaliation. Now how long before that rumor appears on another thread or it happens for real....

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
The irony in the DSC compliance rulings from the FCC is that they are using a now-obsolete version of the recommended practices. The -13 version has been superseded by a -14 version of ITU-R M.493, but the FCC regulations have not been changed.
That's not Irony...That's How Government Works (or doesn't work well at all)....but don't worry...they will get it right when it comes to your Healthcare....ha ah ah
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ha ha ha....
I know....El Trumpo put a 30% import Tax on them so Icom stopped shipping to the USA in retaliation. Now how long before that rumor appears on another thread or it happens for real....

That's not Irony...That's How Government Works (or doesn't work well at all)....but don't worry...they will get it right when it comes to your Healthcare....ha ah ah
Now Rich,
The private health care system with for profit hospitals in the USA is without a doubt the most screwed up system for a first world country in the world. You poor guys have the most expensive system going. You do have great Doctors but the rest of the world has caught up very quickly in that department. Too many lawyers in that wonderful country of yours
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:03   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe the IRS can take it over....oh...what....
Old 01-03-2017, 12:16   #39

Quote:
Maybe the IRS can take it over....oh...what....
Well I don't know about the IRS but Revenue Canada is unfortunately the most efficient department in our whole government.
That said there are certain things that Government is more efficient at than private enterprise, not that many things mind you but certain things.
You folks have for profit prisons and also the the highest incarceration rate in first world countries by a large margin. When your running a company bottom line rules so if you have a prison you want to keep your cells filled. Go lobby your Congressman and make it easier to keep people behind bars, really no different than any big business. Free enterprise is the greatest system we have known but it is not anywhere near great. Look at what Wall Street pulled off in 2008 and even in Canada the banks have been caught laundering money and other crap. Corporate America is greedy and not people friendly so we do need the Government playing referee but preferably not playing the game. If the big boys wanted to learn how to treat a customer they would learn a lot by watching small business's like yours and how you deal with your customers Rich
Old 01-03-2017, 12:23   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Look at what Wall Street pulled off in 2008 and even in Canada the banks have been caught laundering money and other crap. Corporate America is greedy and not people friendly so we do need the Government playing referee but preferably not playing the game:
If you think 2008 was fun on Wall Street...get ready for what's about to hit...it will make 2008 look like the JV Team. Corporate Business doesn't need more Government regulation it just needs to not be too big to fail to learn the appropriate market place lessons. The banks were bailed out...so they learned nothing from 2008 and have made it even worse today. Government isn't the solution...it is the problem. The Free Market corrects errors but when Government interferes and picks winners and losers, the winners will screw the consumers with Government help and kickbacks.

Hey what was this thread about anyway....
Old 01-03-2017, 12:30   #41

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Ha ha ha....

For someone who says they hate the Internet rumors, you sure like to promote them. You started it on this thread saying it was the FCC complaining about a 1 second difference in timeout as the cause if the sale restriction. Not true, but fits your anti-government mindset. Then you are trying to politicize this thread by bringing in Trump, healthcare and the IRS. Just unnecessary baiting.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:32   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some people have a sense of humor and crack up...other get angry and nut up.....What you call bait...others crack up at and see the hilarious joke.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:34   #43

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Does anyone have an explanation as to why it is only the American regulator that has an issue with the Icoms? Or are there other countries which have also raised concerns?

It's not just an American thing. On Icom's UK site i for example read that you cannot install the M802 in EU Flagged vessels...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39   #44

Quote:
If you think 2008 was fun on Wall Street...get ready for what's about to hit...it will make 2008 look like the JV Team. Corporate Business doesn't need more Government regulation it just needs to not be too big to fail to learn the appropriate market place lessons. The banks were bailed out...so they learned nothing from 2008 and have made it even worse today. Government isn't the solution...it is the problem. The Free Market corrects errors but when Government interferes and picks winners and losers, the winners will screw the consumers with Government help and kickbacks.

Hey what was this thread about anyway....
Unfortunately I tend to generally agree with you but I can't see a change in the wind coming anytime soon.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:42   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Unfortunately I tend to generally agree with you but I can't see a change in the wind coming anytime soon.
Bingo...me neither....which is why I'm taking my Illegal Icom M802 back to Mexico where it's safe from deportation before the "Great Wall" gets built.

[[Ok sometimes I ask myself....Am I the only one laughing like a mad man or are others getting the humor...?]]

Tags
icom