Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2013, 08:10   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Which Radar? Offshore/S. Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Millar View Post
Question : Can the Furuno 1835 Radar be integrated to receive input for GPS, AIS and Depth from a SIMRAD System.

The SHORT answer : Apparently YES. The 1825 accepts only NMEA 0183
The SIMRAD NSE12 outputs NMEA 2000 DATA.
What is needed is an ADAPTER
the SIMRAD AT - 10, CONVERTS 2000 TO 0183 or 0183 to 2000.
You don't need an adapter as long as you don't need any NMEA0183 outputs beyond what the NSE produces itself. The NSE will bridge certain data from the NMEA2000 network to NMEA0183, and pass it on to the radar over the NMEA0183 connection between them. The connection is made with two wires between the single NMEA0183 output port on the NSE, and one of the two NMEA0183 input ports on the Furuno radar.

NMEA0183 data which the NSE will bridge include all GPS data, heading, all navigation sentences, wind speed, depth. There is a complete list in here:http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root/...175-03_B_w.pdf on page 83.

So you could set up your network on N2K (vastly preferable to NMEA0183) then bridge needed data from the NSE to the Furuno with two wires. Should work fine without any adapters. However, the NSE will not bridge AIS data. But you could probably connect your AIS transceiver to the second NMEA0183 input port on the Furuno.

However, why would you want to do that? There are a lot of reasons to integrate radar and plotter in one MFD. You'll have a lot more powerful system if you go completely NMEA2000, sell the Furuno, and just buy a Simrad radome to go into the network.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:51   #92

Boat: Catalina 470

Jeff,
Dockhead has given you some great real-world info!!!

If the NSE12 only has one NMEA 0183 output and you set it to output the 38400 baud AIS data, the Furuno 1835 will display the AIS data, but I'm not clear if the Furuno 1835 will also display the position and depth data (which is normally sent at 4800 baud)....
Perhaps this was your question all along???
(the answer might just be, "try it and see"...)
The Furuno 1835 has two NMEA 0183 ports and they are set/configured independently, so if the NSE12 had two independent NMEA 0183 outputs, they would be no issues.....the issue that I see is the above...and as I wrote, you may just need to connect the wires, do the proper set-up in the NSE12's settings and network menus, configure the Furuno NMEA port, and give it a try...can't hurt it, to try...

In any case, I agree with Dockhead, your desired set-up seems odd to me....
Yes, the Furuno 1835 is a great radar, but depending on where you are at / where you are sailing, you may find little need for radar??? and/or you may find that a new Simrad radar (radome) will provide you with good results, and selling the Furuno 1835 will probably offset the cost of the new Simrad radome....

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 03:43   #93

colemj

Thank you for your suggestion.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Now I understand.

Jeff
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 02:47   #94

I have bought all new Simrad electronics with the exception of the 4G Radar.
I bought the Furuno 1835 as a stand alone unit, mainly base on the reputation of Furuno's Radar.
Because I have the Simrad electronic package including the AP28, it would be nice to add the G4 Radar or hopefully the G5, which i hope will be on the market with in the next 6 moths. I would buy the G5. Why for short range use, for integration and low power consumption. Where to mount this Dome ? on an Arch which i do not have yet or on a pole ?
Your thoughts on this and feed back please. My boat is a 50 foot Ketch and the Furuno 1835 will be mounted at the standart height on the Mizzen Mast.
Thank you.
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 04:22   #95

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Jeff! In the boating world, you'll always outgrow your space; build an arch. Eventually you may want to add satellite communications (the famous bells you see on mega yacht). Don't forget to plan for additional power sources! Good luck!

Mauritz
Knows all and sees all...next revelation in 12 minutes!
Old 01-01-2014, 20:26   #96

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I just picked up a Furuno RDP-139 10.5" NavNet display probably overkill but the price was right. The matching Raydome is the RSB0094 2.2 KW which I can still purchase new. I also have the NavNet GP1650DF GPS/Sounder and a GD1700 Display, so I can have three seperate displays that I can network them all together. any opinions on this setup?

Tags
radar