Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2018, 11:48   #1

Boat: Hylas 44
Which radar and display for Cruising Sailboat?

I would like to replace my radar and I'm looking for advice.

I have a Hylas 44 named Nordic Sun II that I'm outfitting to do some extended cruising. What I am looking for is a radar that is WiFi enabled so it can display radar info on a tablet, and/ is or a mounted display. I would also like it to connect into the ships wireless network. I would like a radar that does reasonably well at seeing squalls at night, but is reasonable enough that it doesn't break the bank.

Got Any Advice?

Have Sailing,
Greg
http://www.SailingNordicSun.com
NordicSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 20:04   #2

Re: Which radar and display for Cruising Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicSun View Post

I have a Hylas 44 named Nordic Sun II that I'm outfitting to do some extended cruising. What I am looking for is a radar that is WiFi enabled so it can display radar info on a tablet, and/ is or a mounted display. I would also like it to connect into the ships wireless network. I would like a radar that does reasonably well at seeing squalls at night, but is reasonable enough that it doesn't break the bank.

Got Any Advice?

Have Sailing,
Greg
Without knowing what you have in the way of electronics, it is really hard to make a specific recommendation.

Any of the major brands have the features you are looking for. The have very slightly differing performance/feature/cost tradeoffs, but are actually all pretty similar.

These days most installations have the radar displaying on the MFD, most of which have gone to built-in wifi which can echo the MFD display on a tablet.

Pick the brand MFD that you like, and that plays well with your other instruments and use that brand radar. Standalone radar displays are available, of course, but those will be a bit more complex to connect to wifi.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 08:24   #3

Boat: Hylas 44

I currently have a GARMIN 4208 that is used for a chart plotter, that might be able to be used as a radar display. Does anyone know if i could hook any radar up to this via a NMEA cable?
NordicSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 08:42   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I currently have a GARMIN 4208 that is used for a chart plotter, that might be able to be used as a radar display. Does anyone know if i could hook any radar up to this via a NMEA cable?
Generally, the radome and the display manufacturer need to be the same. There may be exceptions but I'm not aware of any. The most effective solution would be to add a Garmin GMR18HD or 24 radome.

And no, radar data requires a higher bandwidth connection and usually runs through ethernet cable to a hub or directly to a port on the back of the MFD.

As for wireless, I assume Garmin offers a wireless access point that you can connect to your NMEA backbone to share data with various devices. There may be a requirement to run an ethernet connection between the radar hub and the wifi device to make that data available.
Old 30-12-2018, 08:47   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:

GPSMAP® 4208

Part Number: 010-00591-01

Version

Radar
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 08:54   #6

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Any of the radars listed above can be added to your Garmin MFD by connecting the Network Cable from the Radar into your MFD.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GMR_1...tall_EN-US.pdf (see page 3)

I'm a Garmin junky! I even have their Quatix 5 watch.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 08:59   #7

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:

Got Any Advice?

Have Sailing,
Greg
More info defo needed but I will have a go
Furuno do a wireless radar that can be used with the IPAD or Iphone only
this can be found here
https://www.furuno.com/en/products/radar/DRS4W

Most modern Radars can now be plucked into OPCN using Ethernet and then you can rig up a wireless solution to slave to your Android device,
https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/gradar.html

Koden radar can be interfaced with this navigation software not cheap for a standalone dome I was qute £1800 but is a commercial grade radar
https://www.euronav.co.uk/Products/L...c/RADARpc.html
https://www.koden-electronics.co.jp/enmarine

all can be linked in too a local wireless soultion with a router or using a slave prgram to allow it to transmit over wifi to your tablet device
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 09:01   #8
rbk

Boat: T37

Anyone give up a furuno for one of these Garmin packages? The price pint is nice as well as the features. Been considering it to sync the whole system with one display.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 09:32   #9

Boat: DownEaster 38

I agree that keeping all devices in the same family makes sense. I have a B&G radar connected via ethernet to a B&G MFD. Works fine. The MFD is connected to a WiFi device which sends all data to an app on a phone or tablet.
I recently helped a friend install a Raymarine radar which has built in wi fi which connects directly to the Raymarine MFD. Very simple.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 11:00   #10

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

The problem is price point for a MFD and if you want 2 then thats a lot of money , a stand a lone radar and 2 x decent 2nd hand tablets with OPEN cpn reduces that cost significantly , the marine companies now know this and are allowing their radars to be connected outwith their own MFDs
2 x Androind $150
CPN = nice donation
Radar = $1000

not bad compared to 2 x MFD = $3000 +
then radar = $1000
but as its your boat and your mney then spend it as you please
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 12:22   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I replaced my Raymarine unit with a Garmin GMR Fantom radar but I won’t have any experience with it until spring.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/555656
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 17:47   #12

Boat: Freedom 32

Ray Marine is the name to know. Why? The United States Navy has invested heavily into Ray Marine. Until that time personally I did not think Ray Marine was a top contender. But now with the billions invested by the Navy into design and development at Ray Marine it’s a no brainer.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 18:14   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

The cheap way is high quality radar dome....matching cheapest smallest MFD that does wifi to tablets...wire them up and get several tablets with the app that is needed......you have a system.....

friend was hit by lighting loss everything, got large insurance check looked at two new 14 inch MFDs and all the rest....balked did the above system and bought a second not installed MFD, saved 2/3 of what he spent first time has upgraded to 12 inch iPad pros, it looks good....I never get lighting here but I would do the same if I got hit....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 18:17   #14

Boat: DownEaster 38

To each his own, but I strongly prefer a MFD at the helm with the radar connected with a good old fashioned ethernet cable. From there wi-fi to other devices, iPads, etc, is fine but to me the basic system should be hard wired with the primary display at the helm. Just my 2 pence!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 20:20   #15

Furuno first watch radar. It’s a great unit that displays (via WiFi) on an iPad.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sailboat, radar, sail, boat, cruising sailboat