Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-12-2015, 01:03   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Which instruments are always on when Bluewater sailing?

Understand Conachair.
At this stage blue water is for me only 1 or 2 day coastal passages, never more than 50nm from land even in the vicinity of Bass Strait.
For me it has to be on, coastal fishing boats et al. Still my Waeco freezer drinks about 30 amps per 24 hours and the Simrad AP heaps.
My blue water, at this point in the game, clearly ain't blue. I do understand.
Agreed, mid-ocean, vhf range makes it a waste of power.
You're right and thanks.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:44   #62

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

I think 'I never have my vhf on deep sea cos nothing to hear' is up there with 'I don't keep a 24 hour lookout... there is nothing to see'... self fulfilling prophecies... I see nothing cos I don't look... I hear nothing because I don't listen...

A case... 12 years ago pre AIS... had not seen a thing for 38 days... genoa poled out... main set up with preventer. I went below for brekky... maybe 2 mile vis.
20 mins or so later...voice from above 'can't see the focsle... please turn on radar...'
2 minutes later radar warmed up... turn on... big fat echo 3 miles away... stationary ... passes about a mile down starboard side.
We were crossing 100 fathom line more or less...

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:57   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
So were they pissed that some mariners were not doing their job and picked you up or were you literally not seen by the sub with all their instruments? There is another thread on this that shows even small country subs seem to have what they need to detect you and that it is SOP to look around at periscope height before surfacing.

I appreciate that this was brought up, and that there may be issues with this. Perhaps I will leave my pinger on, and detach it from my MFD. Or turn the music up And it looks like the VHF squakin may be a constant companion too...
Evidently we had drifted into the channel zone for the Pearl Harbor entrance. The CO evidently also assumed no one would be stupid enough to be sitting and fishing in this zone. So, he was miffed that we were there as he surfaced without either checking first or could not detect us. We got a visit from patrol when we docked at Rainbow Marina(Yup, served long long ago). The sub CO claimed they checked before surfacing(what else could he say?). We got a write up. Which proves that subs can not detect stupid people.
Old 10-01-2016, 20:12   #64

I'm preparing for my first Bluewater passage from BVI to Panama. It seems unanimous that everyone keeps their VHF radios running 24/7. What I don't understand is that I thought VHF has a maximum range of like 20nm and works "line of sight". If that's the case then what's the point? As I understood it if you are in an emergency the only thing that will reach the shore 500nm away would be SSB, EPIRB or SAT phone. I'm new at this and trying to learn so please be kind.
Mike
Old 10-01-2016, 20:19   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

1. To listen for other vessels in distress.
2. So that aother vessels in the vicinity can contact you if they want/need to.
(including border authorities etc)
Old 10-01-2016, 20:36   #66
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IF your AIS is a transponder, you may not want to keep it on all the time. Call it paranoia but sometimes you see things that just make you suspect that going black, in one way or another, and quietly leaving the area, might be the best course of action.
Old 10-01-2016, 21:13   #67

Boat: S&S34, 10.3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiehser View Post
I'm preparing for my first Bluewater passage from BVI to Panama. It seems unanimous that everyone keeps their VHF radios running 24/7. What I don't understand is that I thought VHF has a maximum range of like 20nm and works "line of sight". If that's the case then what's the point? As I understood it if you are in an emergency the only thing that will reach the shore 500nm away would be SSB, EPIRB or SAT phone. I'm new at this and trying to learn so please be kind.
Mike
Hi Mike
Like Stu said, however, I think it is worth highlighting the importance of hearing a call from a ship that is bearing down on you and wishes to communicate! We always have VHF on so that we can be warned about impending danger. Worth reading the Colregs very thoroughly before you go. Rule 9b is a favourite because you won't have right of way when under sail. Or sometimes a give way vessel might call to ask if it is ok to pass green to green. Not a good practice and you are well within your rights to request that they go Red to Red. So there is many occasions where the VHF might be used unexpectedly.
Have a great voyage. Dave
Old 11-01-2016, 00:10   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Whilst it is normaly correct that VHF is line of sight normally, we must also recall that line of sight is from antenna to antenna which greatly extends the range compared to our eyeball vision. Not withstanding, there are often reports of atmospheric conditions that leads to really significant ranges being reported - but these cant be relied upon. We typically get 25-40nm range on our set, but have experienced several hundred miles on occasions - usually receiving only. Have a safe trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiehser View Post
Mike
Old 11-01-2016, 05:49   #69

Boat: 50' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
idk, cn u ais w/o mfd? gps imho good q 12, rest prn.
Does not help much!?
The only things I understand from your post are; AIS & GPS.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:59   #70

If you have the power... why not run a plotter? If you don't don't run electronics... Radio should be on... GPS can be cheap and you can and should run a plot on a paper chart... You can fire up electronics as needed... radar in poor visibility for example. AIS B can be handy.

Shouldn't one decide what instruments need to be on and plan your energy recharging etc to be able to keep mission critical instruments on?

Tags
men, rum, sail, sailing, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: