Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Which instruments are always on when Bluewater sailing?

Well aware of the fishing vessel that was sunk. The sub was showing off its emergency surfacing for visiting vips. I have been over a sub that needed to go into its home port, they sent a homeland security RIB to get me out of the way.
As for whales, we only see Orca, Grey, humpbacks and occasionally a blue, so I cannot comment on the sperm whales. But the whales mentioned above seem very aware of what we are up to, especially when calving.
But if it makes you feel safer...go for it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:09   #47

Humpbacks are busy beasts,especially the moms. Male whales not so much. bull sperm whales are about as active as an island. While the sub was showing off to some vips, it also was the contention of the eo that active sonar and depth sounding by the fishing boat would have made their presence known.

A dinky plastic toy sailboat floating around mid ocean is unlikely to be detected by a sub. Difficult enough to detect by radar from general ocean scatter by a ship on the surface. If your going to cruise long distances for long periods of time, wise to take what precautions you can. Of course if just day sailing like you do, then obviously its overkill.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:23   #48

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Log? Unless one has a trailing one. Or you're relying exclusively on GPS for navigation.

[EDIT: Arrgh! I'm going to have "what rolls down stairs alone or in pairs..." in my head all day now]
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Log? Unless one has a trailing one. Or you're relying exclusively on GPS for navigation.

[EDIT: Arrgh! I'm going to have "what rolls down stairs alone or in pairs..." in my head all day now]
Normally one uses an electronic log nowadays with an underwater transducer. But if you want to use a Walker log, then do so. We also used full time GPS for navigation, time service, and to create our own near shore maps for future references.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:58   #50

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Normally one uses an electronic log nowadays with an underwater transducer. But if you want to use a Walker log, then do so. We also used full time GPS for navigation, time service, and to create our own near shore maps for future references.
The electronic log was what I was suggesting in response to the question in the OP about instruments to be left powered on (given the fact that few people tend to have trailing logs).

If navigating by GPS in "blue water", does it need to be on for anything more than a fix once or twice a day?
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:39   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
The electronic log was what I was suggesting in response to the question in the OP about instruments to be left powered on (given the fact that few people tend to have trailing logs).

If navigating by GPS in "blue water", does it need to be on for anything more than a fix once or twice a day?
Fair question: No it does not if all you want is an occasional fix. However, by leaving it on 24/7 you get an accurate track, speed, drift, and early warnings when within various satellite comm. systems. We also had ours integrated with the weather system so it would warn us of approaching squalls, impending changes in sea state, and any relevant additions to Notice to Mariners for our local. We were also hooked into the all ships location system so we could be warned when our track might approach a ship. Lots of uses. If you got kids doing long distance cruising, you can monitor their progress.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:22   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

A dinky plastic toy sailboat floating around mid ocean is unlikely to be detected by a sub.
Interesting observation- what evidence do you have to support this? My submariner friends tell me a different story. BTW, my dinky toy is 25000 lbs and a mixture of stainless steel, Aluminum and plastic.
But I'm all ears and listening...
Old 08-12-2015, 10:14   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Didn't the listening watch requirement on 16 get dropped some time ago? Still a good idea though, I use a cheap baofeng uv3r tuned to 165. 8, draws next to nothing.

Sent from my LG-H502 using Tapatalk
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtWatch

Radio Watchkeeping Regulations

In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.
Source: FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310, NTIA Manual 8.2.29.6.c(2)(e), ITU RR 31.17, 33.18, AP13 §25.2
In addition, every power-driven vessel of 20 meters or over in length or of 100 tons and upwards carrying one or more passengers for hire, or a towing vessel of 26 feet or over in length, as well, as every dredge and floating plant operating near a channel or fairway, must also maintain a watch on channel 13 (156.650 MHz) --channel 67 (156.375 MHz) if operating on the lower Mississippi River-- ; while navigating on U.S. waters (which include the territorial sea, internal waters that are subject to tidal influence, and, those not subject to tidal influence but that are used or are determined to be capable of being used for substantial interstate or foreign commerce). Sequential monitoring techniques (scanners) alone cannot be used to meet this requirement; two radios (including portable radios, i.e. handhelds) or one radio with two receivers, are required. These vessels must also maintain a watch on the designated Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) frequency, in lieu of maintaining watch on channel 16, while transiting within a VTS area. See 33 CFR §§ 2.36, 26, and 161; 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.308-309; NTIA: NTIA Manual Chapter 8.2.29.7.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:51   #54
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtWatch

Radio Watchkeeping Regulations

[B]In general, .........
Thanks. Though that does look like it's just the take of one country (USA) on it.

From a few moments on google this came up on wiki..

Quote:
DSC was intended to eliminate the need for persons on a ship's bridge or on shore to continuously guard radio receivers on voice radio channels, including VHF channel 16 (156.8 MHz) and 2182 kHz now used for distress, safety and calling. A listening watch aboard GMDSS-equipped ships on 2182 kHz ended on February 1, 1999. In May 2002, IMO decided to postpone cessation of a VHF listening watch aboard ships. That watchkeeping requirement had been scheduled to end on February 1, 2005.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...ective_Calling

Not that it makes much difference, listening to 16 is still a good idea even offshore.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:31   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Thanks. Though that does look like it's just the take of one country (USA) on it.

From a few moments on google this came up on wiki..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...ective_Calling

Not that it makes much difference, listening to 16 is still a good idea even offshore.
Agree that it looks like its a USA requirement, except that I found some references to Commercial vessels in the IMO, that normally doesn't apply to most members here.

Also wholeheartedly agree that its still a good idea to monitor 16. I would hate to think I failed to answer an SOS that resulted in the loss of life to save a few amps.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:22   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Interesting observation- what evidence do you have to support this? My submariner friends tell me a different story. BTW, my dinky toy is 25000 lbs and a mixture of stainless steel, Aluminum and plastic.
But I'm all ears and listening...
We were about three miles off the entrance to Pearl Harbor when a sub surfaced next to us and the Con was truly pissed off on seeing us literally next to his sub(Yamaha 33 sloop). We were just drifting and drinking.
Old 08-12-2015, 15:58   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We were about three miles off the entrance to Pearl Harbor when a sub surfaced next to us and the Con was truly pissed off on seeing us literally next to his sub(Yamaha 33 sloop). We were just drifting and drinking.
So were they pissed that some mariners were not doing their job and picked you up or were you literally not seen by the sub with all their instruments? There is another thread on this that shows even small country subs seem to have what they need to detect you and that it is SOP to look around at periscope height before surfacing.

I appreciate that this was brought up, and that there may be issues with this. Perhaps I will leave my pinger on, and detach it from my MFD. Or turn the music up And it looks like the VHF squakin may be a constant companion too...
Old 08-12-2015, 19:30   #58

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

I don't for a minute believe the Submarine didn't know you were there...there are reasons.... and it is possible the submarine didn't know a sailboat was in the area until it comes close to the surface because of a sea that is flat creating little or no noise in the water IE slapping of the hull or engine not turning. However, no submarine will surface without the periscope look around. I served on one as a sonar operator.
Old 08-12-2015, 23:32   #59

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Crabcake hated the idea of missing a potentially serious mayday by not monitoring ch16 "to save a few amps"
Me too!
So I checked my vhf's 'receive' consumption on 50% volume....350 milliamps.
At a loss to understand why every single boat on open waters wouldn't monitor 16.
Law or no law.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 23:49   #60
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Crabcake hated the idea of missing a potentially serious mayday by not monitoring ch16 "to save a few amps"
Me too!
So I checked my vhf's 'receive' consumption on 50% volume....350 milliamps.
At a loss to understand why every single boat on open waters wouldn't monitor 16.
Law or no law.
Maybe for many it's acceptable because it's so empty out there, plus 350mA is actually a significant draw on top of everything else on a long passage.
A bluewater passage you might see a ship a week and no small vessels at all. I can't recall ever hearing any radio traffic offshore.
Still usually have a small receiver turned on though, just in case.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, sail, sailing, water