Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 03:37   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Which ICOM Handheld VHF?

I have been looking at Icom VHF handheld Radios and I can't make my mind up between the IC-M91D and the IC-M72.
I like the bigger battery in the M72 but I also like the DSC/GPS functions of the M92D
Can anybody help?

Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 04:03   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Which ICOM Handheld VHF?

buy Standard Horizon, way better!!
Old 13-03-2013, 07:47   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I agree, Standard Horizon is eating Icom's lunch in the VHF market. Icom VHF quality is appalling now.

The SH HX851 is a fantastic radio and one of our favorite electronics items on board.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 08:05   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I am a ICOM radio guy for the fixed boat radios (M504, M422, M802) and also own a M-72 as well. The M-72 was a great VHF, but STandard Horizon was the first out with DSC capable hand helds.

Since then, my primary hand held VHF is a Standard Horizon HX 851 (I own two). I used them when I was working commercial in San Francisco Bay. The good thing was high power output and an optional remote mic. The drawback is when the GPS/DSC is on, the battery life is cut by at least 30% to 40%... As a result, I tend to use them without the GPS, unless I need it.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 10:18   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Ive used Standard Horizons, now for more then 15 years as handhelds and main radios, Great , reliable and robust. I wish they made a marine MF/HF set, ( and given their parents experience I cant see why not).

Dave
Old 13-03-2013, 10:32   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have a couple of Standard Horizon HC460-SS HT's from early 2003 so 10 years old, that refuse to give up. I replaced one battery and now both batteries are good. These things have been abused, tossed in dinghies, sandy beaches, used in rain and storm (they are submersible or so they claim) and every function still works.

Yeasu rules. Because it is Yeasu who built them!
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:31   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

another vote for standard horizon. best handhelds out there. I have one that floats and one that is small enough to fit comfortably in a pocket. Both work great.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:43   #8

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

Thank you all for your replies, I better find out where I can get a Standard Horizon here in Australia. Shame about Icom dropping Quality but they are not the only ones who gone that way.
Thanks again
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:54   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Well, I have a Standard Horizon HX851, and it's great, but it's not perfect - lack of a volume knob (shared with Yaesu ham HT's); very bulky; etc. It has very eccentric controls with both volume and squelch controlled by a not inawkward combination of key presses. The DSC functions are really great -- position poll back and forth from the mother ship Also, it is the number one thing to grab on the way to the life raft -- better than any flare to alert passing ships as to your presence. I have an AA battery tray and a bunch of zip-locked lithium AA batteries in the grab bag to keep the HX851 going in the raft, if it -- God forbid -- ever comes to that.

I actually loved very much a Cobra handheld VHF which I bought cheap in the UK; can't remember the model, something 325 I think. It was heavy but had great sound, great reception, much better battery life than the SH, much more convenient controls (knobs for both volume and squelch), in general a great value for very little money. It was stolen in Cherbourg out of my dinghy, alas.

I also have an old Icom handheld -- actually a very good radio, but it was built prior to lithium ion batteries. The old NiCads are not very good anymomre.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 16:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which ICOM Handheld VHF?

If it floats... is waterproof and has flashing lights... buy it
Make...? I dunno... but its great when I fall in water... unless I've T'd of the crew

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:10   #11

Boat: H36
Who has dropped something over board that small and actually retrieved it? (other than at the dock) Floating radios that are gray are as hard to find as floating rocks. My hand held will with six AA batteries will go all season.
I chose the most sensitive radio, squelch off the most weather stations I could hear.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, vhf