Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2010, 12:21   #1

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Which EPIRB to Buy and Where Should I Mount it ?

Hi all,

I'm starting to prepare for a pacific crossing from the Caribbean to Australia and I'm wondering what EPIRP I should buy and where is the best place to buy one
As many of the cheaper EPIRPs have dangerous goods rated batteries I can't buy one of those in Australia and take it with me.
I'm prepared to buy a more expensive one but there are so many variations I thought I ask all the people on CF with experience what their thoughts are.
I'm also mindful of where it is mounted after reading about the guy whom had to swim inside his upturned cat to retrieve and activate his EPIRP.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 12:23   #2

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
I would have thought that somewhere near the cockpit siderail would be the best place to mount. Then, even if overturned, it should be relatively easy to get to.
Old 26-12-2010, 13:28   #3

Yeah, I was thinking of putting it on the rear of the bridge deck near the life raft stowage, I'm also considering a water activated self deploying one.
Old 26-12-2010, 18:59   #4

Boat: Cherubini Independence 45
I have:

McMurdo

Had it for 6+ years and just had the battery changed last year.

IMO, auto float free is the only way to go. Sometimes sinkings, collisions happen so quickly, you won't be able to get to your epirb. You want to mount it where it won't be caught in anything (such as a sail) when it deploys. If you can mount it where you can also easily grab it, so much the better.

Ted

O.C.Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 19:15   #5

Boat: Beneteau 37 Sea Angel
I have an ACR GlobalFix IPro. I have it mounted in the Starboard locker and I also have a feed from my GPS so it always has a current updated fix the minute it gets deployed. It is a Category II which is not self deployed. I have considered buying the self deployment mechanism and mounting that in the cockpit. You might also want to consider a PLB since these can be attached to you. This would give you a back up in case your EPIRB gets stuck or you can reach it in time. McMurdo makes a good one and so does ACR.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 19:19   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
First buy a GPIRB with its own GPS. I have two on the boat - one is with the ditch bag and one, An ACR PLB, is attached to my inflatable vest. We also carry the Raymarine MOB beacons for on deck crew on offshore passages.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 02:59   #7

Thanks that all sound like good advice, how reliable are the self deploying EPIRBs?
I would imagine you have enough to worry about in an emergency so having one that self deploys is well worth it.
Old 27-12-2010, 06:44   #8

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
I have a category II ACR GlobalFix and I need to have the battery replaced. It'll be interesting to see how much that's going to cost. While searching I came across this one for sale at Defender. Satellite<sub>2</sub>406 Mhz EPIRB It's a category II and a model that was recently discontinued but is still supported by ACR. And the price is relatively cheap!
Old 27-12-2010, 07:03   #9

Boat: Beneteau 37 Sea Angel
Doesn't look like it has any GPS engine. I would spend the extra $450 and get the ACR GlobalFix Ipro. It has it's own built-in GPS and can transmit your location within the 406 signal. It will give Search and Rescue your location within meters saving valuable time. It also has an optical feed for a GPS signal from your main GPS system. This will also save minutes as it will supply the EPIRB with an up to date GPS fix, that way, if you ever have to deploy it, it have a fix from the moment you turn it on while it acquires a fix on its own.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 07:57   #10

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
I have a category II ACR GlobalFix and I need to have the battery replaced. It'll be interesting to see how much that's going to cost. While searching I came across this one for sale at Defender. Satellite<sub>2</sub>406 Mhz EPIRB It's a category II and a model that was recently discontinued but is still supported by ACR. And the price is relatively cheap!
You can get a globalfix (not the globalfixipro) for $399 from "gps on sale dot com". It is a better unit and it costs less.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 08:37   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Thanks that all sound like good advice, how reliable are the self deploying EPIRBs?
snip
The ones with Hydrostatic Release (self deploying) DO NOT DEPLOY UNLESS THEY ARE UNDERWATER AT LEAST 1.5-4 METERS. In other words, they must be mounted externally where the EPIRB is not impeded from floating free of the vessel.

That also means the Hydrostatic Release is not suitable for multihulls that are designed to be "unsinkable".

Unfortunately I bought one of these Hydrostatic Release units and didn't read this in the manual until after I had registered it, so the Hydrostatic Release housing sits in my closet at home with other stuff I might never need (but am saving anyway).

I keep my EPIRB on a shelf in the boat's main cabin. Having it on a shelf is not such a bad idea, as it is readily available and can float free (likely trapped within the cabin) if the boat ever capsizes. All EPIRBS will activate automatically if tossed in the water and will float and flash a strobe, so it should be easy for crew to locate and I doubt the hull would impede the radio signal significantly, until it can be brought out by crew.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 23:46   #12

Oh, OK that's handy to know about fitting them to multi hulls.
The one from GPS on sale looks good then, looks like the batteries are non hazmat so they can be carried onboard aircraft too.
Old 28-12-2010, 08:11   #13

Also want to add the consideration that if you mount a unit with Hydrostatic Release in the cockpit and the boat sinks inverted, the unit might be prevented from floating free if the boat us inverted when sinking. Exterior bulkhead of cockpit or cabin (not facing into cockpit) is a better choice for this reason, or perhaps exterior rail or mast mount.
Old 20-02-2011, 09:22   #14

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
In the end, would you go for a class I or II EPIRB?
I'm concerned that a class I could release prematurely.
For instance, if the vessel rolls over, of leans on its side for a little while, though a serious situation, it might not be the time to release the EPIRB yet...
Old 20-02-2011, 14:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post
In the end, would you go for a class I or II EPIRB?
I'm concerned that a class I could release prematurely.
For instance, if the vessel rolls over, of leans on its side for a little while, though a serious situation, it might not be the time to release the EPIRB yet...
Read again what I wrote in post #11 above. A hydrostatic release will not deploy automatically until AFTER your boat has sunk. That may help your decision.

Tags
epirb