Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 22:45   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which EPIRB to Buy and Where Should I Mount it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Oh, OK that's handy to know about fitting them to multi hulls.
The one from GPS on sale looks good then, looks like the batteries are non hazmat so they can be carried onboard aircraft too.
Dang.... now I'm confused.. I thought you were sailing...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 05:57   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel
I would consider one or two of the new ACR toys - with GPS confirm, sms posting, etc..

Together with their self/testing + 'I am OK' service they make a lot of sense.

Both EPIRB and PLB available too.

b.
Only works in the Americas though

Dave
Old 26-02-2011, 06:09   #33

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Which EPIRB to Buy and Where Should I Mount it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Only works in the Americas though

Dave
Currently, the 406Link.com coverage area includes:

• North America
  • South America
  • Western Africa (partial)
  • New Zealand
and most of the North/South Atlantic and much of the Pacific Ocean...

Coverage Map
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 13:20   #34

Boat: a sailing boat

Very rare what you say about US 'hardwiring' (?) the EPIRBs.

We bought ours in NZ and had it programmed for a Swedish boat. Seen cruisers buying EPIRBs everywhere - no problem registering ever too.

Would US be the only country to play such a nasty trick?

What if I buy my EPIRB over the net from a US supplier? Meaning - do they refuse selling EPIRBs to foreign Internet buyers???

Shocker of sorts or I am not reading this right.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:01   #35

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

You can get the country code changed by the service agents but I just regestered mine on the US site at least someone knows my details.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 18:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
You can get the country code changed by the service agents but I just regestered mine on the US site at least someone knows my details.

Please do not do this! The Beacons are assigned country codes for a reason and failing to properly assign country codes can slow the SAR system.

EPIRBs are detected by different satellites, Geostationary (GEO) and Low Earth Orbiting Satellites.

GEO satellites provide early detection, and unless the EPIRB is GPS enabled, will not provide a position. Your distress alert will be sent to the country where your EPIRB is coded. If this is not the country where your vessel is registered, the EPIRB is registered, and your contacts reside, it may take the agency responding time to track down your information...time you might not have.
Eventually, when the LEOs come around your position can be ascertained thru Doppler shift (this may take over an hour for an composite position) GET GPS)
20seaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 22:03   #37

Sorry, but my EPIRB is GPS enabled, the boat is in another country on the other side of the Pacific Ocean and the clowns who sold me the EPIRB didn't tell me this as well as sent it to the wrong side of the pacific.
This information, if it is true is not readily available and would seem highly irresponsible to have a system so cumbersome for something so critical.
Data bases can be accessed via the internet in seconds from anywhere in the world.
So with all due respect I am rather skeptical about your post.
Old 21-04-2011, 23:39   #38

You might find this feature comparison useful:
EPIRB Comparison.xlsx - Microsoft Excel Web App

I bought an ACR Global FIX Pro without hydrostatic release. Once I thought about it, I have no good place to mount that.

-p
Old 22-04-2011, 09:03   #39

Be as "skeptical" as you like Sir. If a beacon alert is received in a country that is not the registration authority, the registration data is not always attached to the alert, and you have to contact the registration authority for that country (depending on country may require a translator) to get the information.

If there is a position, the agency will respond immediately anyway. If not, well then there will be some investigative work required to find out where you were going, how many pob, ect.
Old 22-04-2011, 15:32   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20seaox
Be as "skeptical" as you like Sir. If a beacon alert is received in a country that is not the registration authority, the registration data is not always attached to the alert, and you have to contact the registration authority for that country (depending on country may require a translator) to get the information.

If there is a position, the agency will respond immediately anyway. If not, well then there will be some investigative work required to find out where you were going, how many pob, ect.
This is incorrect it is not how GMDSS works high seas alerts are routed to the RCC of the epirb registration. that eprib registration database is enough to determine the boat as it contains your contact details. The fact that the boat is registered elsewhere is irrelevant. Nothing is slowed down. The ITU database is searchable online by the RCCs and the public. Remember for some countries there's no requirement that pleasure boats be registered at all hence there's no local database.

Dave
Old 22-04-2011, 16:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is incorrect it is not how GMDSS works high seas alerts are routed to the RCC of the epirb registration. that eprib registration database is enough to determine the boat as it contains your contact details. The fact that the boat is registered elsewhere is irrelevant. Nothing is slowed down. The ITU database is searchable online by the RCCs and the public. Remember for some countries there's no requirement that pleasure boats be registered at all hence there's no local database.

Dave
You are saying the same thing, I am also saying it goes to the RCC of registration (Maybe that wasnt clear), in addtion to the RCC where the alert is located.

The alert that goes to the RCC where the alert is located, if not the same will not receive the information attached to the alert.

When you search the reg database, you will see a msg stating to contact registration authority for that EPIRB.

Not every vessel is in ITU.

This started with me saying do the right thing and get the correct country code. Why would you want your first alert sent halfway around the world?

To say "nothing is slowed down" is dead wrong. How many of these alerts have you processed?
Old 22-04-2011, 16:38   #42

I still don't see what you are on about OX?
Just for the record the Australian authority would not register my details because the unit had a USA code.
The boat in question is currently in Panama.
When the boat gets back to Australia I will take the EPIRB to a shop and have the code changed.
However if it so important why do they make it so hard to change codes.
Do you have anything to back up what you are saying or have you come up with this theory on your own?
Old 22-04-2011, 16:59   #43

ACR EPIRB Int'l. Code Programming Service

All ACR EPIRBs sold be OceanMedix are default programmed by the manufacturer and coded for registration in the U.S.A. with NOAA.

For all International Customers
NOAA recommends registration of a 406 MHz EPIRBs in the country of residence and / or country where the designated emergency contacts reside to avoid a potential language barrier problem.
The ACR EPIRB Int'l. Code Programming Service re-programs the code registered for and transmitted by the devise to that of the country of intended registration. A devise not coded with the matching country code may not be registered in that country. Please contact OceanMedix with regard to the availability of devises programmed and electronically coded for registration in all other countries.
NOTE: Due to restrictions imposed by the manufacturer, ACR 406 MHz EPIRBs after re-programming for a country code other than the original default programming for the U.S.A. may not be returned for a refund.
Old 22-04-2011, 17:03   #44

Found this from a quick search.

Oceanmedix: ACR EPIRB Int'l Code Programming

I am just about trying to help you out and explain how the system works, maybe I am not doing that and causing more confusion.

I just want you to get the fastest response if heaven forbid it ever became necessary
Old 22-04-2011, 17:22   #45
Marine Service Provider

PSI SURVIVAL sell this one

ACR GlobalFix PRO Category II 406 MHz EPIRB with Integral GPS and Bracket

PREVIOUSUP ONE LEVELNEXT
ACR GlobalFix PRO Category II 406 MHz EPIRB with Integral GPS and Bracket

ACR GlobalFix PRO 406 GPS EPIRB

Product No. 2844 (Non-Hazmat battery)
Category II (manual deployment) 406 MHz EPIRB with Dual GPS Technology and Mounting Bracket
Model No.: RLB-37 Cat II
Head offshore with confidence. With three levels of integrated signal technology — GPS positioning, a powerful 406 MHz signal and 121.5 MHz homing capability — the GlobalFix™ PRO quickly and accurately relays your position to a worldwide network of Search and Rescue satellites, reducing search time and increasing your chances of survival. It’s reliable signaling technology that has saved more than 26,800 lives since 1982.

The GlobalFix™ PRO is basically the same EPIRB as the more expensive GlobalFix™ iPRO (P/N 2846) without the digital display or external GPS interface capability. The two models are virtually identical in appearance.

PRICE EACH
ACR2844 $675.00
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb