Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 13:15   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Which display for wind transducer?

It looks like the raymarine windtranducer can either use an analog display or with the ITC converter box, the new shiny i70 digital display. Do you guys have a preference for this? I'm really split. I love the looks of the i70 but having to add another possible failure point and more wires with the ITC box makes me lean towards the analog i60.

They both interface with the autopilots equally well right? Allowing you to self steer by wind and not just compass heading?

Has anyone ever mounted the transducer temporarily anywhere near the death? Like on the stern rail maybe?

I know the sails disrupt the wind, but how bad? No one wants to be hired to go up the mast, and the quote I got for pulling it down was $2500. I would like to get a system where I can climb the mast solo, but right now I would need someone to take me up, and I can get someone, just not reliably, I think this will take multiple trips. Going up, realizing something won't work, coming down, going back up.

I've also done mostly work lately, and this is one of the last pieces to out in place, but I'm done and it's time to go sai,in general, not do more boat work, so I thought I could mount it somewhere else for now? Bad idea?
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 14:50   #2

Re: Which display for wind transducer?

I70 gives AIS info, autopilot tracking info and lots more
Regards
Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:29   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

I paid my rigger $70 to climb the mast and install a bullet wifi antenna. He brought his own ascender the only thing he asked me to do was handle the safety line. The windex is not complicated and doesn't require the mast to be taken down.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:46   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

The i70 give you a tremendous amount of flexibility above the i60. You can fully customize each display, you can use it to calibrate transducers, it will display AIS, it can give you autopilot status, it will display some basic NMEA network info etc... Transducers hookup is via seatalk NG (NMEA2000) so that's as easy as plugging in a cable. If you buy Raymarine's wind instrument then you will use their converter box (which I think is included) to make a NMEA2000 signal.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 20:08   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
The i70 give you a tremendous amount of flexibility above the i60. You can fully customize each display, you can use it to calibrate transducers, it will display AIS, it can give you autopilot status, it will display some basic NMEA network info etc... Transducers hookup is via seatalk NG (NMEA2000) so that's as easy as plugging in a cable. If you buy Raymarine's wind instrument then you will use their converter box (which I think is included) to make a NMEA2000 signal.
I have the i70 displaying my AIS. Once I get speed and depth at next haul out I will think of adding a second one or just scroll through it.

I've decided for now to mount the wind transducer on my stern rail. I know it won't be all that accurate but it will tell direction and it will allow me to do the two things I wanted it for most.

It will let me use the autopilot to sail to wind instead of compass heading and,

It will tell me how close into the wind I am pointing and then when I make sail trim adjustments I can see what is working and what isn't.

What it won't do very well probably is tell me the wind speed. Maybe. On top of the mast would be better, but I have heard that the wind is different up there than closer to the water and you are mostly sailing in the wind closer down. but it probably won't be at accurate. I just want the thing installed, I don't really have to cut anything on my boat apart and I just run the wires and attach the transducer to the stern rail and away I go. The head computer is going to have to be cut into the bulkhead next to the other instruments and connected to seatalkng with the white cord, but that I would have to do if I was putting the transducer at the top of the mast.

So in some ways I am getting closer to getting up there than I previously was. My friend that was helping me on all these projects has been too busy for weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	109426  
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind