Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 10:15   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
where to mount new VHF

I finally gave up on the old VHF and bought a new SH GX2000 to link with my new Vesper XB-8000 AIS. Plan to add an iPad3 as my portable "chartplotter" since the ancient Garmin CP cannot get a fix. The previous boat had the VHF just inside the salon door and was a pain to try to listen the same time I was steering. I am planning a new rigid dodger and was thinking to mount the VHF outside with a remote speak inside to listen while at anchor. So both the iPad and the VHF will show the AID information but the iPad will do so my cleaner. The new boat does not have a good location just inside the door and would be several steps down into the port hull for the current VHF location. I used the handheld when I moved the boat to NC. Since I am starting from scratch on this, I am open to some thoughts and suggestions.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:25   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: where to mount new VHF

Why not mount the VHF inside in a well-protected and usable place and mount the remote mic outside? The remote is a full-function remote with access to all menus, AIS display, etc as the main unit, so you won't be without functionality in the cockpit.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:31   #3

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Why not mount the VHF inside in a well-protected and usable place and mount the remote mic outside? The remote is a full-function remote with access to all menus, AIS display, etc as the main unit, so you won't be without functionality in the cockpit.

Mark
Exactly. That's how mine is - the radio is down below at the chart table and the RAM is outside. (I _just_ finished wiring it nice).

I primarily use a handheld outside anyway, but having the AIS display on the mic seems to be useful.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:33   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

I was trying to say I was thinking of a remote SPEAKER, not a RAM unit.
I do not have a decent location to mount the radio right at the doorway and pull the attached mic outside.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:43   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

OK, understood now.

The RAM mike costs $85, which is a good deal considering you are basically getting another full-function radio out of it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:45   #6

Boat: Catalina 387

Well then, obviously my advice changes to "get the RAM" mic and wire it in... Only real downside to that is the $$$ - because it essentially gives you a full featured VHF at the remote location (and it's a pretty small wire - easy enough to run). You don't need to be near the door - just where you can run the RAM wire.

Keeping the electronics inside helps keep them on the boat too - i.e. less chance of theft. -- Ahh - but if you're using the Ipad for the GPS signal, you'll need it close to where you can wire it all together. (In that case, I'd run the RAM mic below)

Other than that - mount it where you like and run a speaker inside. Or easier yet - just use your handheld. I don't know if the GX2000 has a separate volume control for the external speaker (or if you care). I've got the 2150 - but I've never used the remote speaker.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:01   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Ed,
Spend the $85 on the SH CMP-30 Ram3 mic!!
(In addition to the Ram mic's features, the mic's mounting panel that the remote cable attaches to, has speaker wire terminals that allow you to easily wire-in an external speaker if needed in noisy environments....)

Since Icom, SH, etc. have made very reliable external mics (with most all the control necessary) for about 2 decades now, I've never understood the rational of not doing this...except of course for the cost/$....

Now, the exact specific recommendations would vary depending on what type of sailing you do, where you sail, etc. and of course how often you use/need the vhf, both at the helm and below decks....but, in general....
Spend the $85 on the SH Ram3 mic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Well then, obviously my advice changes to "get the RAM" mic and wire it in... Only real downside to that is the $$$ - because it essentially gives you a full featured VHF at the remote location (and it's a pretty small wire - easy enough to run). You don't need to be near the door - just where you can run the RAM wire.

Keeping the electronics inside helps keep them on the boat too - i.e. less chance of theft. -- Ahh - but if you're using the Ipad for the GPS signal, you'll need it close to where you can wire it all together. (In that case, I'd run the RAM mic below)

Other than that - mount it where you like and run a speaker inside. Or easier yet - just use your handheld. I don't know if the GX2000 has a separate volume control for the external speaker (or if you care). I've got the 2150 - but I've never used the remote speaker.
Although I do disagree about this last point.....
On a 40' boat, there's no need to use a "handheld in the cockpit", when you can have a perfectly functional fix-mount VHF (w/ masthead antenna) at your fingertips...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:07   #8

Boat: ODAY 28

agree, go with the ram mic, very easy to install just need to run the cable, and cable comes with the ram mic.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf