Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 13:29   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Where to Mount Cat I EPRIB

I'm debating where, or if, it's practical to mount a Cat I (hydrostatic release) EPIRB. The guidance that I've seen is somewhat contradictory, in that the ideal location (I) allows the unit to float freely and (II) is protected from breaking seas. On a 37 foot sailboat, I don't know of any such external location. I would love to mount it on the stern rail, but that hardly satisfies II. Any suggestions, or is down below or in the ditch bag the best option?
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:54   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Where to Mount Cat I EPRIB

flash,
I'm not a big fan of Cat I / Hydrostatic release EPIRB's on small sailboats that do offshore / hi-seas passages....
I prefer manual release EPIRB's, for obvious reasons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I'm debating where, or if, it's practical to mount a Cat I (hydrostatic release) EPIRB. The guidance that I've seen is somewhat contradictory, in that the ideal location (I) allows the unit to float freely and (II) is protected from breaking seas. On a 37 foot sailboat, I don't know of any such external location. I would love to mount it on the stern rail, but that hardly satisfies II. Any suggestions, or is down below or in the ditch bag the best option?
BTW, sinking is not the number 1 reason EPIRB's are deployed anyway (I think it is Fire, Crew Injury, etc.)....but, in any case, I'd not recommend a Cat ! device...

If you wish to see where to mount a Cat 2 EPIRB, do a google search for Pacific Seacraft Epirb, etc. and see what others do...

Here is where mine is mounted, at the top of the passageway bulkhead, a long reach form the companionway (but reachable) as well as easily reached by anyone belowdecks...

And, a generic pic of a sistership, showing where the companionway is...

Hope this helps...

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib