Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 19:31   #31
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Where do people mount there helm controls for autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sometimes I have to make slight adjustments on my (tiller) autopilot and it's nice that I can reach it from near the companion way where I'm usually sitting under the dodger when the autopilot is engaged

I wouldn't want to have to go back to the helm if I had a big boat with the control back there every time I needed to make a slight adjustment.

Also when I'm up at the mast raising my mainsail coming out the creek, I usually have the autopilot running the show. Again, it's nice that as soon as I reenter the cockpit I can reach the control in case I have to readjust due to the main's effect on the boat
It is wise to keep the chartplotter and autohelm in the same location.

As far as remote operation, all the new stuff can be controlled from your smartphone anywhere on the boat.

Oh, I forgot, I love putting instruments in bulkheads and cockpit coamings, as I know down the road I'll get a job to fill in the holes left when the instruments are outdated and removed, or the owner wants the best seat in the house back.

ramblinrod
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 22:34   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The point is that when you grab the wheel to avoid a net or a log you just spotted you need to be able to immediately disengage the AP so you can actually turn the wheel.
Our (old fishing boat style Wood Freeman 500B) autopilot and the remote both have an override where you take it out of compass mode and use a knob as a rudder control--don't most people have something like this to quickly turn the wheel? We don't disengage the autopilot--that takes turning off the ap and disengaging a clutch--longer than just spinnning the rudder dial hard over on the remote or on the control panel.
Old 24-11-2015, 03:41   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

[QUOTE=Pelagic;1969689]Each to there own.....
.....but when I engage the AP I like to be at the helm, in case it fails dramatically...
QUOTE]

If my autopilot fails dramatically, the boat will normally continue on it's course until I realize it. If I'm lying down on the bow someplace reading out of the direct sunlight, that might be a while 10-15 minutes maybe...... (my AP is the simple compass heading type)

I used to unhook my old Navico Autopilot at times because the chirping would get on my nerves after a while if I was in the cockpit reading or relaxing. Then I'd just make small adjustments with the mainsheet from near the companion way area while the pilot held the rudder

Do folks really stay at the helm all the time while sailing/cruising when the autopilot is on?

My "cruising" is usually 6-7 hour legs mostly, and it's rare that I will man the tiller longer than an hour or two after I'm out of the creek.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:36   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
So does anyone have any good products for mounting my helm display near my wheel?
Nav Pod or Scan Strut

Ramblin Rod
About Sheen Marine
Old 24-11-2015, 06:42   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Our (old fishing boat style Wood Freeman 500B) autopilot and the remote both have an override where you take it out of compass mode and use a knob as a rudder control--don't most people have something like this to quickly turn the wheel? We don't disengage the autopilot--that takes turning off the ap and disengaging a clutch--longer than just spinnning the rudder dial hard over on the remote or on the control panel.
Most modern units have pushbuttons for port and starboard. There's no mode switch, just leave in auto and tap the button for the direction you wish to turn. It then holds the new compass heading, until one changes it again.

Rod Brandon
www.sheenmarine.
Old 24-11-2015, 06:53   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

+1
Watch keeper should be at or very close to the helm (head out of the boat) and be ready to take control quickly; be it MOB, steering, power, wind gust or rig failure.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:59   #37
cruiser

QUOTE]

If my autopilot fails dramatically, the boat will normally continue on it's course until I realize it. If I'm lying down on the bow someplace reading out of the direct sunlight, that might be a while 10-15 minutes maybe...... (my AP is the simple compass heading type)

[/QUOTE]

Say What?!?!?!

Most any sloop rigged sailboat will hold a course on a beat if trimmed proper, with the helm locked, without an AP or wind vane.

Off the wind (without balanced opposing head sails), Nope!

Motoring, Nope!

For the latter two, there is nothing to hold the boat the boat on course, and it will begin to veer off immediately. The AP or wind vane has to constantly apply rudder to hold a course as there are constant forces trying to knock the vessel off course.

The man who invents a self-steering sail boat on all points of wind under sail and power, without any self-steering device, will be very rich indeed. He just invented how to defy the laws of physics.
Old 24-11-2015, 07:22   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

[QUOTE=thomm225;1969992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Each to there own.....
.....but when I engage the AP I like to be at the helm, in case it fails dramatically...
QUOTE]

If my autopilot fails dramatically, the boat will normally continue on it's course until I realize it..
Not always....if your AP compass or Rudder feedback sensor is compromised for whatever reason, it can cause the helm to go into a hard turn.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
QUOTE]

Say What?!?!?!

Most any sloop rigged sailboat will hold a course on a beat if trimmed proper, with the helm locked, without an AP or wind vane.

Off the wind (without balanced opposing head sails), Nope!

Motoring, Nope!

For the latter two, there is nothing to hold the boat the boat on course, and it will begin to veer off immediately. The AP or wind vane has to constantly apply rudder to hold a course as there are constant forces trying to knock the vessel off course.

The man who invents a self-steering sail boat on all points of wind under sail and power, without any self-steering device, will be very rich indeed. He just invented how to defy the laws of physics.[/QUOTE]

The guy was saying he wanted to be near the helm and the AP control in case of a dramatic failure of his AP. I'm thinking it's not really necessary

My point was that it isn't such a big deal to arise from your slumbering position say reading near the bow with your head on a your PFD against the forward part of the cabin. You would know something was up after a while due to the change in sails, wind, and boat speed if your boat didn't hold course

Then stumble into the cockpit and take control until you get things straight........
Old 24-11-2015, 08:23   #40

[QUOTE=Pelagic;1970156]
Quote:

Not always....if your AP compass or Rudder feedback sensor is compromised for whatever reason, it can cause the helm to go into a hard turn.
Gezz, and the sky could fall.

My system is much simpler than all that anyway.

Biggest problem I had so far was losing my autopilot overboard one time when the winds were around 30 and I had to keep taking the helm as I was on a broad reach to dead downwind trying to keep the waves from breaking into the boat part of the time then trying to stay away from the low water which was less than a mile to my port side the other part of the time over a 50 mile run South...........
Old 24-11-2015, 09:15   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Most modern units have pushbuttons for port and starboard. There's no mode switch, just leave in auto and tap the button for the direction you wish to turn. It then holds the new compass heading, until one changes it again.
Yeah, ours also has the little tap buttons for port and starboard but it has a mode that just lets you use it as a little joystick for hand steering, too. It's a dial, not a stick but works of course.
Old 24-11-2015, 09:29   #42
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=thomm225;1970204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Gezz, and the sky could fall.

My system is much simpler than all that anyway.

Biggest problem I had so far was losing my autopilot overboard one time when the winds were around 30 and I had to keep taking the helm as I was on a broad reach to dead downwind trying to keep the waves from breaking into the boat part of the time then trying to stay away from the low water which was less than a mile to my port side the other part of the time over a 50 mile run South...........
We managed to break that rudder position sensor arm when installing the autopilot (oops) but my husband repaired it with materials we had on the boat.

Losing the AP overboard--yeah, that's one good thing about having a tethered remote like ours--you can pull it back aboard the boat

Our remote works enough differently than the control panel that I prefer it to the control panel. The control panel is inside the boat and the remote is for cockpit/outside use. So when it's raining cats-and-dogs and I'm inside the charthouse/pilothouse steering, I always wish I had a non-tethered remote so I could more easily bring it inside w/o keeping the door open. I suppose I could get a second remote...for inside
Old 24-11-2015, 09:39   #43

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Ramblinrod is speaking the words of experience. Heed them well. I will not cut a hole in my cockpit coamings unless required - and it is never required. But some people do it. I hate cutting small holes for wires. And, never ever put an instrument where you will want to sit or lay back on. RR is dead on on losing seating in a cockpit.

And whether 2 seconds is quick enough to get to a disengage - no way no how. Disengages have a nasty habit of not working - sticking, jamming, whatever. Boats rocking and rolling in a seaway have a nasty habit of making it hard to move 3 feet, especially if you have to get around a wheel to get to it. And, to dodge a log up here, you usually only have a few seconds to react.

Our large cockpit on the previous boat had a really nice dash above the companionway slide where I could mount the control head for the AP so I did not have to cut any holes in the glass in the cockpit. Wish my current boat had that.

But in the end, you look at all the possibilities and do the best you can. Compromises are usually required in all of this. I put my new chartplotter/radar under the dodger but it is too far from the helm. But I had no real estate available for it anywhere else unless I wanted to completely rebuild/replace my helm pedestal. Which I might do some day. But I also really like sitting under the dodger while studying and entering routes and watching radar for other ships. Now I am looking for a remote mouse to control the CP from the wheel (understanding there may not be a critter like that that will be suitable). Oh well.....
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:27   #44

Boat: Outbound 44

[QUOTE=Pelagic;1970156]
Quote:

I've seen way too many Raymarine APs decide to take a flyer and head off hard to port or starboard to trust them.
Old 24-11-2015, 11:34   #45

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Under all reasonable circumstances I want to be able to grab the wheel, disengage the AP and directly control the rudder. On my setup I need to hit Standby, other systems you can mechanically disengage at the helm. My system does have preprogrammed dodge buttons and a rotary knob but I do not use these for close up object avoidance.

Tags
autopilot, helm