Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 11:45   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Where do people mount there helm controls for autopilot

[QUOTE=Paul L;1970408]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I've seen way too many Raymarine APs decide to take a flyer and head off hard to port or starboard to trust them.
So far I've never had that problem with either the old Navico that came with the boat or my new Simrad.

But if it did, it wouldn't be that bad. I'd just unplug it and steer for a while until I found the problem. I mean I've had accidental tacks before sailing (on autopilot) to close to the wind while working on or raising my outboard.

Those are just things that can happen. Not a big problem.............and definitely not worth standing near the AP control ..."just in case" for the entire day.

I reef the main at the mast while under autopilot. Sometimes I stand holding the jib furler on the bow under autopilot on my last leg in having a beer......etc. It's a nice place to relax on pretty days.

Why buy an autopilot then if you are going to be that concerned about it every second. (but) If that's your thing, it's your business. You're the Skipper on your boat............
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:11   #47

Boat: Outbound 44

[QUOTE=thomm225;1970428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

So far I've never had that problem with either the old Navico that came with the boat or my new Simrad.

But if it did, it wouldn't be that bad. I'd just unplug it and steer for a while until I found the problem. I mean I've had accidental tacks before sailing (on autopilot) to close to the wind while working on or raising my outboard.

Those are just things that can happen. Not a big problem.............and definitely not worth standing near the AP control ..."just in case" for the entire day.

I reef the main at the mast while under autopilot. Sometimes I stand holding the jib furler on the bow under autopilot on my last leg in having a beer......etc. It's a nice place to relax on pretty days.

Why buy an autopilot then if you are going to be that concerned about it every second. (but) If that's your thing, it's your business. You're the Skipper on your boat............
So how did you get from needing a disengage at the helm to standing by the helm just in case? No one proposed that except you.
Pretty much everyone else on a short- handed boat also uses the AP while performing sail adjustments too, so what?
Old 24-11-2015, 12:25   #48

[QUOTE=Paul L;1970444]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So how did you get from needing a disengage at the helm to standing by the helm just in case? No one proposed that except you.
Pelagic proposed it post number 29 and you said something similar. Lots of P-people here

I was for not freaking out all the time worrying about whether your autopilot would break or you need to disengage.

You were the one worrying over disengaging now that I look back. I'm a tiller person so everything is in reach either way unless I'm forward then I can disengage when I return to the cockpit if need be

I was thinking on a big boat with the wheel way back near the stern where they usually are it would be better to have a control closer to the dodger/companionway area for easy adjustments without running all the way back to the helm to make changes
Old 24-11-2015, 12:31   #49

[QUOTE=thomm225;1970455]
Quote:

You proposed it in your post #6.

I was for not freaking out all the time worrying about whether you autopilot would break or not.
I think you must have misread that post. It says the disengage needs to be at the helm. This means the button to press should be located at the helm, not the person who presses the button. The OP was asking where to mount the controls.
Old 24-11-2015, 12:44   #50

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Where do people mount their helm controls for autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Installing my autopilot now and just wondering if it's normal to mount it by the door down to the cabin or should I mount it on the wheel pedestal? It's a 27ft hunter. If it's really better to mount it on the pedestal what is a good mount to use since my boat has nothing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ours is down below in the workshop. Stoopid place.

We're doing a complete instrumentation upgrade and custom helm replacement next year so we can address all the ergonomic issues.

I am building a custom autopilot remote which will be at the helm. We are not replacing our alpha marine 3000 autopilot. Its reliable and I can repair it myself.

There have been so many issues with integrated autopilots on bandg networks that we will not be integrating our autopilot with our chart plotter.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:53   #51

Quote:
I think you must have misread that post. It says the disengage needs to be at the helm. This means the button to press should be located at the helm, not the person who presses the button. The OP was asking where to mount the controls.

I was responding to the guy that said he wanted to be at the helm at all times while the autopilot was on. Then you sort of got in the middle of it with your worry over crab pots I think it was. I saw P-person and figured...........

I did get new prism glasses last week for double vision!
Old 24-11-2015, 12:59   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I was responding to the guy that said he wanted to be at the helm at all times while the autopilot was on. Then you sort of got in the middle of it. I saw P-person and figured...........

I did get new prism glasses last week for double vision!
You referenced post #6
Old 24-11-2015, 12:59   #53

Quote:
You referenced post #6
Your Net, log worries post 30 and his worry post 29.
Old 24-11-2015, 13:34   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Each to there own.....
.....but when I engage the AP I like to be at the helm, in case it fails dramatically...
To clarify....I only meant "at the moment" you engage AP"

NOT necessary to stand over it, once helm settles down.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 13:49   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

[QUOTE=thomm225;1970455]
Quote:

I was thinking on a big boat with the wheel way back near the stern where they usually are it would be better to have a control closer to the dodger/companionway area for easy adjustments without running all the way back to the helm to make changes
This is why a remote is a great thing for the AP. Even when we're in the cockpit we're not really near the helm.
Old 24-11-2015, 17:20   #56

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Back on topic for the OP...

I have my Autohelm 3000 control head mounted on the starboard side coming within easy reach of the helm.

For the rest ....

There are times when one should be within easy and instant reach of the AP disconnect and other calmer times when one can wander about without much care.

I equate this to AP use in my aircraft. I'm on the disconnect switch if flying an approach to an airport, while I'm more at ease when in high cruise. You have to pick your spots for time to disconnect.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:58   #57

I think mounting it at helm sounds like a good idea but my wheel pedestal doesn't have a stainless bar like I see on other people's boats. Where do you get those setups?
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 20:07   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
I think mounting it at helm sounds like a good idea but my wheel pedestal doesn't have a stainless bar like I see on other people's boats. Where do you get those setups?
Check with the vendor of the pedastal, eg Edson, Lewmar/Whitlock etc
Old 10-12-2016, 06:14   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Under all reasonable circumstances I want to be able to grab the wheel, disengage the AP and directly control the rudder. On my setup I need to hit Standby, other systems you can mechanically disengage at the helm. My system does have preprogrammed dodge buttons and a rotary knob but I do not use these for close up object avoidance.
Though I was previously talking about our remote for the AP, we can do that quick disengage mechanically at the helm -- ours has a chain drive and clutch at the wheel. You SHOULD hit standby before doing it but you don't HAVE to do so, you can just disengage the clutch if it's really an emergency but you will quickly have to turn off the AP after you've disengaged or it's bad for the AP.

Tags
autopilot, helm