Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 18:11   #1

What kind of switches are these?

I have a vintage Sea Lux remote spotlight that still works perfectly. However, last week while trying to anchor out at night for a local fireworks show, I broke off the bottom button. Now, if you turn the lamp on and supply power, the motor wont shut off.

These are spring loaded button switches, and when pushed activate the motor. When they are released the motor stops.

They look like DPDT momentary switches, but I'm not quite sure. They look like they would be easy enough to replace, but I can't seem to find a suitable replacement.

Any advice on where to look, and what to look for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2365.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	172303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2578.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	172304  

TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 18:23   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: What kind of switches are these?

Yes, almost for sure DPDT and momentary.
C&K will make have a suitable replacement and should be available in many places in the USA
https://www.ckswitches.com

For a more upmarket switch, search for Eaton MS switches but C&K switches are very good.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 18:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes, almost for sure DPDT and momentary.
C&K will make have a suitable replacement and should be available in many places in the USA
https://www.ckswitches.com

For a more upmarket switch, search for Eaton MS switches but C&K switches are very good.
Thanks!

Didn't see anything on C&K that looked similar, but I did find these. Up (open) is off, and down (closed) is on so I'm thinking this may work.

https://tinkersphere.com/buttons-swi...r_select-black

Looking at the wiring, it looks like when its open the top (which is to the right) and middle are connected giving continuity to the other switches, and when the button is pressed the middle and bottom are connected (to the left) which would be the two yellow wires.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 21:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Thanks!

Didn't see anything on C&K that looked similar, but I did find these. Up (open) is off, and down (closed) is on so I'm thinking this may work.

https://tinkersphere.com/buttons-swi...r_select-black

Looking at the wiring, it looks like when its open the top (which is to the right) and middle are connected giving continuity to the other switches, and when the button is pressed the middle and bottom are connected (to the left) which would be the two yellow wires.
The C&K series would be 8020 and you most likely want a 8221SHZGE, more detail here https://www.ckswitches.com/media/1397/8020.pdf

Be aware that there are two common termination orientations. One has the C (common) terminal at one end and there other has the C terminal in the middle. The C&K switch mentioned has the C terminal in the middle whereas the you linked has the C terminal on one end.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 23-06-2018, 21:26   #5

This Eaton switch will do the job electrically and will last for two lifetimes .

It may be too big physically, hard to tell from the photos of your panel.
It is a toggle switch rather than push button but it is a momentary action.

8830K13

8830K13 - EATON - Toggle Switch, DPDT, Non Illuminated