Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-04-2016, 06:28   #31

Location: Home port is San Diego, California but currently cruising the East Coast of the USA.
Boat: Contest 48
Re: What kind of printer do you use offshore?

We used an HP470 for many years and we were disappointed when it failed. Now we use a Canon IP110 and it works fine. We also use a Scan Snap (Fujitsu) scanner which is very compact. The printer uses a wall wart but the scanner is USB powered.

One of the more gratifying uses of the printer was to take photos of locals in remote places, print them out and give them as gifts. In some cases. the photos we gave them were the first photos they had of their children.

We met one couple who kept a log book with photos of everyone they met, a brief description and often an entry by the people in the photo. It was one of their most treasured possessions. If only we were that energetic.

Fair winds and calm seas.

Old 30-04-2016, 06:41   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we had a Lexmark - or have - that worked well until we lost our computer and had to get a new one with windows 10 - they do not talk now - and I can not get a new one here as we are in 220v territory and we have a 110 boat -

so far lucky that our wintering marina would print stuff out for me

chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 09:04   #33

Boat: 36.5 Custom Cold Molded Cruiising Cutter

After reading all your wonderful thoughts and suggestions, I bought a HP 100. I tried to get it to work but finally tech-support said it must be broken and advise me to return it. I did and while in the store I Bought a small HP P1109w LaserJet. It was last year's model and only $69, so I bought it. It is bigger then I would like but smaller than an all-in-one andi less complex and much more highly reviewed them the Quircky HP 100 and other small mobile printers. While at Best Buy, I learned about those little scanners that plug into your computer and printer. They are tiny little things and copy documents quite nicely, so I think I'll get one. I saw an epson that was on sale for $79. I have yet to get this LaserJet set up and working with my router but hopefully it's going to integrate into my electronics package.
Regarding size it has about the same footprint as the HP 100 but it is three times taller. Laser printers don't have the same issues as inkjets in that if you don't use them in dries up and also the toner is alible a cheaper them in cartridges. I'm not sure with the power draw is but I have some pretty big battery banks and hopefully it will not deplete very much from them.
Old 30-04-2016, 17:48   #34

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

FWIW I use a Canoscan (Canon) flatbed scanner for copying or storing paper forms. It is about the size of a 17" laptop (only about an inch thick). It does color and B&W, powered by USB. It is very easy to store.

Greg
Old 30-04-2016, 19:24   #35
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We have a Canon IP100 and I have seen posts about the IP90 and IP110.

This is all the same printer, with the IP110 the current model which now does Airprint. It is probably the smallest and the most expensive printer posted in this thread... and for sure the best

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mobil.../dp/B00NV9LL9Q
Old 30-04-2016, 20:44   #36

Boat: Freedom 38

Great thread and coincidence. Can't tell you how often I've been mulling something over (like a boat printer!) and it shows up on CF at the same time.
Old 01-05-2016, 00:12   #37

Yeah, that's the thing about Cruisers Forum. Ask and you shall receive.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:38   #38

Re: How do you like your Canon IP-100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We used an HP470 for many years and we were disappointed when it failed. Now we use a Canon IP110 and it works fine. We also use a Scan Snap (Fujitsu) scanner which is very compact. The printer uses a wall wart but the scanner is USB powered.

One of the more gratifying uses of the printer was to take photos of locals in remote places, print them out and give them as gifts. In some cases. the photos we gave them were the first photos they had of their children.

We met one couple who kept a log book with photos of everyone they met, a brief description and often an entry by the people in the photo. It was one of their most treasured possessions. If only we were that energetic.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Ya know, I've noticed that people sure do like their Canon printers and I might reconsider and buy one. It would be nice to have because of how small they are. It would fit nicely under my chart table.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that owns one:
How long have you had it? Any issues? How long do the cartridges last? I plan to print in black only. I know that you have to buy both. If you don't use it for a long time, does the ink dry up? I know ink jets are more expensive than laser toner so I have avoided them.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:07   #39
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreproject View Post
Ya know, I've noticed that people sure do like their Canon printers and I might reconsider and buy one. It would be nice to have because of how small they are. It would fit nicely under my chart table.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that owns one:
How long have you had it? Any issues? How long do the cartridges last? I plan to print in black only. I know that you have to buy both. If you don't use it for a long time, does the ink dry up? I know ink jets are more expensive than laser toner so I have avoided them.
The IP90/100/110 are semi professional models with much higher quality than the $30 printers that are cheaper than the ink cartridges you have to put in. This is why they keep going when others fail. I also do not have any problems with dried up cartridges or print heads like I did with the cheap ones.

My ip100 is from 2011 and an ip90 would be from before that as it is an older model
Old 02-05-2016, 13:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The IP90/100/110 are semi professional models with much higher quality than the $30 printers that are cheaper than the ink cartridges you have to put in. This is why they keep going when others fail. I also do not have any problems with dried up cartridges or print heads like I did with the cheap ones.

My ip100 is from 2011 and an ip90 would be from before that as it is an older model
Is this the printer you are talking about? http://images.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0898037_sc7??wid=600&hei=600&wid=600&hei=600
Old 02-05-2016, 14:58   #41
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoreproject View Post
Is this the printer you are talking about? http://images.staples-3p.com/s7/is/i...id=600&hei=600
Is it a Canon ip110? If so then yes.

here is one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mobil...keywords=ip110

Tags
offshore

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: