Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2016, 16:16   #1

Boat: C&C 41
What is this?

On the port side of the masthead is the VHF antenna, what is the antenna on the starboard side? (assuming the picture is attached)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2504.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	120433

Old 10-03-2016, 16:18   #2
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: What is this?

It is a 2.4GHz wifi antenna with an Ubiquity Bullet radio attached. The cable that comes down the mast is an Ethernet cable.

Old 10-03-2016, 16:22   #3

Boat: C&C 41

What does that mean in English for the tech challenged? I have systems on the new to us boat that I do not understand and one is a wireless WIFI transmitter. I assume that they are related?
Old 10-03-2016, 18:01   #4
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Sorry, why not Google it?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:49   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Yes, they are related. In simplest terms it's a system to connect to Internet via wifi. The bullet radio is the equivalent of the radio contained in your computer (or phone, tablet, smart TV, any device with wifi connectivity). It establishes the wifi link and is connected to the wifi router inside your cabin. The router becomes your own "hot spot" wifi for your devices to connect to.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-03-2016, 09:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I love these what is it threads, they are not so easily solved, usually.

I figure if I ever sell my boat I may install an airplane antenna or two and leave some farm tractor hydraulic parts and some other odd ball things in a few lockers, maybe some computer cards?

Give the new owner fits
Old 11-03-2016, 10:13   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Rex,
As Jedi and Brewgyver wrote, what you have is almost certainly an external Wi-Fi system....known colloquially as a "Wi-Fi booster"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
What does that mean in English for the tech challenged? I have systems on the new to us boat that I do not understand and one is a wireless WIFI transmitter. I assume that they are related?
Yours looks a bit weathered (but useable) and probably a home-brewed / self-cobbled-together system...

For the straight scoop on a new system (~ $200 - $250), which is more modern and versatile, have a look here...
Marine WiFi Systems

BTW, Bob Stewart at Island Time PC is not only a real gem to do business with, he really knows his stuff....and he's also a part-time cruiser!

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:35   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

a64,
Back in the day, there were sailboats with "airplane antennas" on 'em.....
Actually VOR antennas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I figure if I ever sell my boat I may install an airplane antenna or two....

Give the new owner fits
As an adolescent I spent some time sailing in Long Island Sound when visiting friends there in the summer...
When my friend's Dad found out I knew how to do trigonometry (at age 11) and figured his VMG, allowing him to know when to tack to get to the next mark quicker, he told some of his buddies and I got invited to join them on some races (they called me the "boy genius", and stuck new at the Nav Station.....true story!).
We used VOR receivers (which the salty navigators called "Omnis"), to pinpoint our position and we calculated our speed-made-good along the route and passed that info to the skipper who then would adjust course, or tack, etc....
Remember this was more than a decade before GPS, when damn few knew what "VMG" meant...
{I was an aviation nut as a kid, so I knew what the "Omni" was, even though I'd never used one, until ironically on-board a boat!!!
And, I also understood the aerodynamics of both airplanes and sailboats.....genius, 'ya know....
BTW, after getting my student pilots lic, I made a few instruction flights, but never went any further....$$$$ and time, plus I knew I'd never buy a plane!}

Now, this was over 40 years ago, so I don't remember which VOR's we used, but we sailed out of NYC, Stamford, Huntington, etc. (basically the north shore, near NYC and up to CT)...was planning on crewing for some Block Island races, but my friend's Dad said NO....(even at that point, I had more "offshore experience" than any of them....and I had a habit of saying what was on my mind....which I now realize pissed off a lot of those old jerks...)

Over the years, I saw an older maxi yacht selling in the mid-to-late 80's, and it still had its VOR antennas on the mast!!
(and, if you look at some old photos from the 70's and 80's, of Nav Stations on match race boats, you're likely to see some Omni compass displays...)

So...

So, a64, if you do decide to add some "airplane antennas", there would be someone that will know....at least I would know what those little whips on the mast are for...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:47   #9

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I love these what is it threads, they are not so easily solved, usually.

I figure if I ever sell my boat I may install an airplane antenna or two and leave some farm tractor hydraulic parts and some other odd ball things in a few lockers, maybe some computer cards?

Give the new owner fits
Since you are at it, place a pitot tube at the bow, this will really make them post here about the crazy PO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: