Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 05:13   #1
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
What is considered the best GPS Radar Combo for cruising sailboats in 35-40' range?

Looking to purchase a GPS Radar Combo that can be installed on the pedestal with the option of removing it to the chart table. Currently looking at a Garmin 740 system.

Any advice based on your experience would be greatly appreciated.

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 06:08   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: What is considered the best GPS Radar Combo for cruising sailboats in 35-40' rang

I'd look at the Ray E7. Reasons: 1. longer warranty. It has the "mouse". 2. It isn't easy to use a touch screen in bad weather. 3. You can mirror the display to an iPad or upgrade to an app so you can control the plotter from it. That way you would not have to move anything.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 08:35   #3
cruiser

Re: What is considered the best GPS Radar Combo for cruising sailboats in 35-40' rang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I'd look at the Ray E7. Reasons: 1. longer warranty. It has the "mouse". 2. It isn't easy to use a touch screen in bad weather. 3. You can mirror the display to an iPad or upgrade to an app so you can control the plotter from it. That way you would not have to move anything.
Thanks. The ability to mirrior to an iPad is amazing. I will give this unit a hard look....

RT
Old 17-10-2012, 10:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have the simrad touch screen with their digital radar. Very happy with it so far.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 11:19   #5
J_m

Boat: 1987 Hughes H40 Ketch

Newt: Which Simrad touchscreen do you have and do you have the newer broadband radar?
J_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have them in my enclosed locker in the cockpit, so I opted for the NSS 8 with the newish (3G) broadband overlay. Gives me excellent viewing of the chart with radar next to it on the screen. The radar has more than proved itself of the last voyage. Sailboat on collison course without lights!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:28   #7

for "best" It would have to be the B&G Zeus 8.

My personal choice would be the simrad nss7 but I'd also look real hard at the newly announced lowrance 7 and 9 touchscreens.

For me these are the best systems out there bar none, but the power consumption on the 3&4g radar makes them a no-brainer for a sailboat over the other brands.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:57   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I cannot voice an opinion on current GPSs. I use an old Garmin 183C. I am impressed with Garmin's support. My old 183C is no longer supported by Garmin and I found this season that the tide info was only programmed for 10 years.

I called their technical support and asked how I could update the software. I had to pay $50 for them to send a ROM with current software to load which I did. Their policy is to charge $50 for the ROM and also to return the $50 if you return the ROM.

I now have my needed tide info and my $50 back. Great company!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 05:58   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I have them in my enclosed locker in the cockpit, so I opted for the NSS 8 with the newish (3G) broadband overlay. Gives me excellent viewing of the chart with radar next to it on the screen. The radar has more than proved itself of the last voyage. Sailboat on collison course without lights!
Tuff choice considering the options available. In south Florida most say its a waste of money for radar since we have very little fog but I have also had an experience with almost being run down by a sea going tug pushing a large gravel barge at night with no lights on the barge. If my spotlight didn't pick up the barge it would have been THUMP and end of story. The tug which was on autopilot (no one in the wheel house) probably wouldn't have even felt it.

As far a reliability which manufacturer stands out?

RT
Old 18-10-2012, 08:37   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I personally would choose Furuno for radar and their new NavNet can use tablet and iPhone.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 08:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

+1 for the NSS7. We have one, used it over the winter, and will be installing a new to us BR24 dome in the next few weeks. The chartplotter is super, touch + buttons is the best. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the autopilot integration - the chartplotter IS the autopilot control head.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 08:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Look carefully at the power consumption of the Furuno gear, especially the newest chartplotters. They are super capable, but draw alot of power (IMHO).

I would love a RD33 display...

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I personally would choose Furuno for radar and their new NavNet can use tablet and iPhone.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 14:21   #13

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Another vote for the NSS7 and Simrad 3G. The NSS7 is very intuitive and easy to use, the Simrad 3G comes with a longer cable and interface, more suited to sailboats than Lowrance, otherwise the same unit. The NSS draws .4 amps and the radar 1.6 when running. Usually I leave it in standby and turn it on only when I am looking at it. As mentioned the NSS can also double as the control head for the Simrad AP as well as the stereo. The 3G has great resolution out to about 6-8 miles. More than enough for my purposes.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, gps, radar