Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 15:25   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: What is a 2-pin round DC power connector useful for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
I have one of these 2-prong DC connectors in my cockpit. Is there any way I can get an adapter to plug useful stuff into it (like modern tablets) or is this type of power connection very much obsolete?

Presumably it was once used for some kind of GPS device.

It looks exactly like this:
Plug & Socket 2 Pin 2/3 Amp - Boat Electricals

Except I don't have the cap with the male prongs, just have the female pronged socket.

Wikipedia has some male-to-male adapter images in the first picture on this page:
DC connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently they're also called coaxial power connectors (but when I google for that I get a lot of incompatible coaxial cables like those used for TV video and such).

On Amazon I found a male USB to female coaxial DC power connector:
Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB2TYPEM 3 Feet USB to Type M Barrel 5V DC Power Cable: Electronics

Maybe that would work? But I would still need a 2-pin male to coaxial male.
I have that exact one in the photo. There are several all over my 1984 English built boat. Same function as an ordinary outlet except for DC. I have an accessory LED spot light I can plug in on deck. It give you quick access to DC anywhere you need it with an extension cord. We have both 12 volt & 24 volt.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 15:39   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think some of the Aussies amongst us seem to forget the OP is here in the Colonies.

Try putting some of your standard Aussie coins or bills into a US vending machine. Oy! They're trash! They may work perfectly well in Oz. They may be perfectly standard and common in Oz. But in a Seattle parking lot? They're trash, nothing is set up to work with them.

Context is everything, and in the US, 12-volt portable power connections are cigarette lighter connections, period. There are good ones (Blue Seas) and junk (anything from Shenzen comes to mind) like anything else. But to call the connector junk just because a lot of companies built bad ones, is ridiculous.

And here in the Colonies? Don't call any "two pin" connector a "coaxial" power plug. Coaxial power plugs are, by definition, plugs where all the contacts are built around ONE COMMON AXIS. Not two side by side. Coaxial power plugs are sold in all the electronic supply houses, and they are always the same type found commonly on all wall-warts (AC adapter "bricks") for all manner of small electronic chargers and other devices. One center contact, and one outer contact. Anything else doesn't get called "coaxial" even if it has more contacts laid up in rings.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 16:05   #48

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
They are "connectors" and when you go to the store to buy a portable spotlight, portable fan or portable GPS cable, it will come with a matching plug. Change the sockets on your boat and you will be forced to change the plugs on all your accessories. And you won't be able to use anyone else's accessories.

Please, go back and read the posts.
They are a connector by proxy. The original design was as a cigar lighter.
Hence they have some issues e.g.
Bulky;
limited locking ability of plug to socket;
Susceptible to corrosion.

For a dedicated connection requiring a plug and socket, better options are available. For example where a 12 volt device may normally be intended to be directly wired, it is better to use a proper plug and socket rather than a cigar lighter socket when the ability to disconnect the device is required.

And being "non standard" really isn't an argument as there are literally thousands of plug and socket combinations and few could be said to be an outright universal "standard".
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 16:09   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I think some of the Aussies amongst us seem to forget the OP is here in the Colonies.

Try putting some of your standard Aussie coins or bills into a US vending machine. Oy! They're trash! They may work perfectly well in Oz. They may be perfectly standard and common in Oz. But in a Seattle parking lot? They're trash, nothing is set up to work with them.

Context is everything, and in the US, 12-volt portable power connections are cigarette lighter connections, period. There are good ones (Blue Seas) and junk (anything from Shenzen comes to mind) like anything else. But to call the connector junk just because a lot of companies built bad ones, is ridiculous.

And here in the Colonies? Don't call any "two pin" connector a "coaxial" power plug. Coaxial power plugs are, by definition, plugs where all the contacts are built around ONE COMMON AXIS. Not two side by side. Coaxial power plugs are sold in all the electronic supply houses, and they are always the same type found commonly on all wall-warts (AC adapter "bricks") for all manner of small electronic chargers and other devices. One center contact, and one outer contact. Anything else doesn't get called "coaxial" even if it has more contacts laid up in rings.
We're the same over here. Given the choice, I'd prefer "proper" sockets, but as you say it is a pseudo standard.

If I was fitting out a boat from scratch I'd consider using "proper" sockets with adaptors on hand as required to convert to the cigar style plug.
Old 12-04-2015, 18:50   #50

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I used a capped female two prong on deck with a rubber booted male leading from my solar panels for a water resistant through deck connection. Of course that is a single use receptacle.
Old 13-04-2015, 08:06   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
They are a connector by proxy. The original design was as a cigar lighter.
Hence they have some issues e.g.
Bulky;
limited locking ability of plug to socket;
Susceptible to corrosion.

For a dedicated connection requiring a plug and socket, better options are available. For example where a 12 volt device may normally be intended to be directly wired, it is better to use a proper plug and socket rather than a cigar lighter socket when the ability to disconnect the device is required.

And being "non standard" really isn't an argument as there are literally thousands of plug and socket combinations and few could be said to be an outright universal "standard".
I'm thinking you are more interested in arguing than anything else.

I've already pointed out that any 12 volt accessories you buy are likely to come with the "cigarette lighter" style plugs. Your boat is likely to come with matching sockets. So are your cars and trucks.

I agree that they are less than ideal for the purpose, but just like shorepower connections, it's usually more practical to go with the standard than to change everything over to something you think is better.
Old 13-04-2015, 14:58   #52

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

this is funny. CF strikes again. Arguments over cigarette lighters

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 15:05   #53
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There are several weatherproof cigar lighter sockets, marinco make so e with o ring seals and locking connectors. Etc. don't dismiss until you have reviewed what's actually available

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And perhaps you should study marine connector design and then take a closer look at those cigar lighters. Do a part count, for starters. Then look at the material. I spent 40 years working with underwater and marine connectors. That ain't one. And I am not questioning your favorite supplier's quality. I'm saying it's the stupidest "connector" design on the entire boat. Hand's down.
Old 13-04-2015, 15:22   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
And perhaps you should study marine connector design and then take a closer look at those cigar lighters. Do a part count, for starters. Then look at the material. I spent 40 years working with underwater and marine connectors. That ain't one. And I am not questioning your favorite supplier's quality. I'm saying it's the stupidest "connector" design on the entire boat. Hand's down.
And I aint never seen one with gold plated contacts either. If there was a poll on the most unreliable plug and socket for maintaining a good connection, guess which I'd vote for?
Old 13-04-2015, 17:10   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I don't think anyone claimed that they were underwater marine connectors. Or even that they are the best design for the purpose.

Regardless of your "expert" opinion or anyone else's, they remain the standard accessory connector for marine and automotive use. You cannot deny that.
Old 13-04-2015, 17:18   #56

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I don't think anyone claimed that they were underwater marine connectors. Or even that they are the best design for the purpose.

Regardless of your "expert" opinion or anyone else's, they remain the standard accessory connector for marine and automotive use. You cannot deny that.
I can't deny that they are a common standard accessory connector,but I can refuse to employ them because of their well known deficiencies. Ten minutes work and a few bucks for parts against struggling with an inferior connector for the life of the accessory seems like a good trade-off to me!

A better two or three prong connector is the Dri-Plug: larger conductors and an o-ring seal on both plug and cover cap. As usual the better quality comes at a higher price...

Jim, using Ann's computer
Old 13-04-2015, 17:25   #57

Boat: Liberty 458

Blue sea have plenty of options.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 05:31   #58

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Looked over the Blueseas stuff yesterday...still not what I would even begin to compare to a booted, threaded connection for regular use.

Blueseas may have better cigarette type plugs but none were available
In the stores I went in.

I probably cut the plugs off 15 different objects on my boat just to rid myself of junky ends supplied by the manufacturer. Whether I put a 2 prong on or an upscale cigarette plug on there ...it is no matter to me....but the long term bet is on the 2 prong.

Having one cigarette receptacle on board is nice for guests and an adapter can easily made to go either way. Your choice...good luck.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 05:57   #59

My cell phone chargers have the electronics inside the plug. You can't just cut off the plug and solder on a different one. If you change all the outlets on the boat you would have to make an adapter for the cell phone chargers.
Old 14-04-2015, 06:14   #60

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
My cell phone chargers have the electronics inside the plug. You can't just cut off the plug and solder on a different one. If you change all the outlets on the boat you would have to make an adapter for the cell phone chargers.
Your cell phone (mobile we call Em) would charge of a USB port which you can even plug into your lap top there. Don't go cutting anything off.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote