Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2006, 01:04   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
What happened to ICOM IC-M2A?

I bought this radio several months ago, mainly because of its supposed submersibility and the fact that it accomodates akaline batteries.

It was a big disappointment: crapped out after getting a bit of spray. Returned to ICOM and am still trying to work it through the warranty system there (which for me means long distance from Asia to the U.S. as Japan service center was totally unhelpful - another story).

Meantime, I noticed that West Marine seems to have "disappeared" the model from their Web site. Seeing as how this is one of the more recent models, I wonder what's going on. Could it be that mine wasn't the only complaint about the radio?

Any thoughts?
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 07:25   #2

Sound like it sneuman.

In the past. Mostly with my brother. We'd noticed that usually within a few weeks of buying a certain item. They discontinue that item?

It's happened before. But like I said, mostly with my brother. Since he's the technophile in my family!!

But it happens more often than people realize. And yes, if a product get's lot's of complaints/problems. They'll pull that item from their catalogs.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 10:29   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
oh no

oh, sorry I just bought a Icom hand held and thought it was the M2 but i just checked my users manual and its the M32a. It says it is waterproof and actually says after salt spray to dunk it in a bucket of fresh water. hmmmmm.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 11:15   #4

Well sneuman & Windthief.

Dunk it in a bucket of water. After being exposed to salt spray?

Makes you think more about that type of unit now, doesn't it?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 21-02-2006, 17:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, mine said the same about salt water, which I was not in a position to do at the time.

ICOM doesn't appear to have discontinued it ... only West Marine has "disappeared" the product.
Old 14-04-2006, 19:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a followup. I finally reached a state-side customer service rep who was very helpful - how rare these days! I just received a replacement radio.
Old 14-04-2006, 19:24   #7

Well that's great to hear about that, sneuman.

Especially since you're all the way over in Thailand. Halfway around the world from the service rep!! That's great!!

Is it the replacement, same make and model?

Old 03-08-2006, 07:16   #8

ICOM Marine VHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman
I bought this radio several months ago, mainly because of its supposed submersibility and the fact that it accomodates akaline batteries.

It was a big disappointment: crapped out after getting a bit of spray. Returned to ICOM and am still trying to work it through the warranty system there (which for me means long distance from Asia to the U.S. as Japan service center was totally unhelpful - another story).

Meantime, I noticed that West Marine seems to have "disappeared" the model from their Web site. Seeing as how this is one of the more recent models, I wonder what's going on. Could it be that mine wasn't the only complaint about the radio?

Any thoughts?
The ICOM VHF waterproof is totally ********.First time I brought the unit not submerge more than 1meter the water intrude,ok maybe this is my faulty the compartment not lock tight....the main board was gone can't repair...told by service centre of Singapore.Never mind I brought another set same model IC M32a,after 3month the unit malfunction ,this time not even touch the water.The service centre told me due to storage too long when not use...can't repair and No warranty.They told me if complain to Japan was useless..the quality is like this.Anyone can explain this?All the ICOM product really like this?
cckeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52   #9

Boat: C&C 27
I own an Icom M2. It has worked well enough for the past two years that I have kept putting off installing my fixed mount set. I admit that I have not held it under water but it does get kicked around in the cockpit alot.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think ICOM products bought in the US from authorized dealers, only carry an ICOM-US warranty, not a worldwide one. Not sure...but that's common for optics & electronics & even some watches, that the warranty comes from the distributor. That should be the only reason that ICOM-Japan (the actual makers) wouldn't help with it.

Their products are in general as good or bad as any other consumer-market radios, not as good as commercial-market radios but then again those usually carry a 5x larger price tag. (For instance, GE/Ericson HT's for the commercial market that work on the marine bands. But they're about a foot tall, built like a brick, and probably retail around $1000.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 22:25   #11

Send a message via AIM to Radio University
I would like to touch on a few points that were mentioned in this thread.

1. ICOM warranties are not global. If the item was purchased in the US, then only ICOM America will honor the warranty. If bought in Canada, then only ICOM Canada will honor the warranty....etc.

2. The M2A is submersible rated at JIS7 which is about 3 feet for 30 minutes. Any deeper then that then the water pressure can cause the o-rings to fail and allow water intrusion.

3. ICOM states to dip the radio in fresh water only to rinse off the corrosive salt water. Salt water can also damage the case of the radio as well as the charging contacts.

4. The reason for not honoring a warranty on a radio that was stored long term is probably due to the fact that if you store the radio with the battery connected, you will kill your battery.
Radio University is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom