Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 16:00   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43' DS
What freq for Airmail??

Hi!
Can anyone give me a simple answer on what frequency to dial into so that I can use Airmail via our ICOM-802 / Pactor IIIusb? I have all the programs loaded, I have a valid call sign, and I've been able to connect via TelNet and also get a signal via the modem without Internet...just can't find the right frequency to set the radio to send/receive email.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sue
sail2bluesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 16:25   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: What freq for Airmail??

You don't say whether you are using Sailmail as your service or HAM/Winlink.

For SailMail frequencies go here:

SailMail Primer

You should also be able to download that frequency list from Sailmail if your computer with Airmail is on the internet.

For Winlink/HAM same thing, easiest way is with Airmail on the internet, download the frequency list in Airmail. IIRC (not on this computer) it's under Windows, Catalogs, Global. You can download from here:

http://www.winlink.org/RMSChannels

Make sure you check the "Pactor" radio button and use the "Airmail.ini" option.

Both of those should already be built in to your Airmail install, Tools? I think.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 16:26   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Play around with these frequencies: Primary 2177.0 KHz (T/R), 4208.0 KHz (T)/4219.0 KHz (R), 6312.5 KHz (T)/6331.5 KHz (R), 8415.0 KHz (T)/8436.5 KHz (R), 12577.5 KHz (T)/12657.0 KHz (R), and 16805.0 KHz (T)/16903.0 KHz (R). Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 18:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2bluesue View Post
Hi!
Can anyone give me a simple answer on what frequency to dial into so that I can use Airmail via our ICOM-802 / Pactor IIIusb? I have all the programs loaded, I have a valid call sign, and I've been able to connect via TelNet and also get a signal via the modem without Internet...just can't find the right frequency to set the radio to send/receive email.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sue
Sue, once connected to the pactor using sailmail software the tuning of the 802 is done via software. You must press the email button on the 802 to begin with. Check out the sailmail primer on their website it's a great help to getting started
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 13:22   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 43' DS

Thanks one and all!
I'm still struggling through all this, but seem to be getting closer. I am using AirMail, but it seems that I have no CMS Connection via PacLink. That is my next thing to resolve. I understand there are 4 CMS connections that can be used - just have to figure out how!
Can you tell I'm a bit lost??
Thanks again,
Sue
sail2bluesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 13:18   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Sue,
The best source for information, especially the little things that make it all work, is the Sailmail primer, and the whole Sailmail site itself....as Dsanduril already referred you to....

Good luck...

John

Mauritz,
These are NOT Sailmail freqs, nor any airmail-use / PACTOR freqs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Play around with these frequencies: Primary 2177.0 KHz (T/R), 4208.0 KHz (T)/4219.0 KHz (R), 6312.5 KHz (T)/6331.5 KHz (R), 8415.0 KHz (T)/8436.5 KHz (R), 12577.5 KHz (T)/12657.0 KHz (R), and 16805.0 KHz (T)/16903.0 KHz (R). Mauritz
These are MF/HF-DSC freqs, designated such by the IMO/ITU, and actually factory-programmed (uselessly, in my opinion) as the six Scan freqs in the Icom M-802's DSC-Watch Mode....

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 13:53   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2bluesue View Post
Thanks one and all!
I'm still struggling through all this, but seem to be getting closer. I am using AirMail, but it seems that I have no CMS Connection via PacLink. That is my next thing to resolve. I understand there are 4 CMS connections that can be used - just have to figure out how!
Can you tell I'm a bit lost??
Thanks again,
Sue
Now you have me confused

CMS is the Common Message Server and is used for internet access to your radio e-mail accounts. So, if you don't have a radio available you can use your radio e-mail software to connect to the CMS over the internet and retrieve your e-mail that would normally be sent over the radio. For that you don't need frequencies, etc.

Are you trying to use the PACTOR system to access a regular e-mail system (like GMail, or Hotmail, or...)? Doesn't work like that. You should have an e-mail account like CallSign@Winlink.org or CallSign@Sailmail.com. You then use your radio on the frequencies in the table to connect to a station, and send/retrieve your e-mail.

Maybe you can give us a slightly bigger description of what you have and what you are trying to accomplish? If you give us your callsign and tell us what system (winlink or Sailmail) I can send a test message if you like (do not post it as an e-mail address - just put your callsign somewhere in the post and somewhere else tell us what service you are using - or PM me with it - you really don't want to publish a PACTOR e-mail address too broadly).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote