Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 03:03   #1
Registered User
hooligan6a's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jacksonville F
Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Posts: 290
What FCC License Do I Need ?

I know this has been asked a hundred times but what FCC license do I need for

my VHF and SSB if I am cruising outside the US?

hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 04:14   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
The one you get from the FCC for a VHF and SSB...there's an online application process. Quite easy. Should list radar, AIS, and whatever else as it's the same price and you cannot add them to the license later...or something like that.

daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:03   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,934
Images: 54
You'll need a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit for yourself and a Ship Station License for the boat. Go on the FCC website and fill out Form 605. As Daddle suggested, be sure to include all applicable electronics, including EPIRB. Make sure you have a MMSI number from the FCC, too. The one you can get from BoatUS isn't valid outside the US.
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:45   #4
Nearly an old salt
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,648
Images: 3
interesting , in CEPT countries

"Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom and Vatican"

A Restricted Operators Cert, is an altogether differnt animal, and is restricted to VHF operation only.

goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 12:20   #5
Registered User
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 1,926
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
+1 to Hud.
S/V Auspicious
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've Got this Ham License...what Should I Do with it ? kb79 Marine Electronics 8 23-10-2012 12:02
VHF license Misiu Marine Electronics 9 06-08-2010 16:24
Renters Barred by FCC from Using HF Radio? N8QH Marine Electronics 14 17-11-2009 21:52
FCC New On line processing System Pblais Marine Electronics 6 08-04-2007 09:25
FCC Drops Morse Code Requirement! hellosailor Marine Electronics 4 16-12-2006 21:11

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.