Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 05:36   #1

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter
West Marine AIS Reprogramming

Folks, just wanted to share my experience with buying a used West Marine 1000 AIS and having it reprogrammed with my MMSI.

It couldn't be much easier. I filled out an online form on West Marine's web page (the same form as if you had purchased a new unit on line), printed it out, and dropped it off at a local store.

Two weeks later, it's back at the store and ready for pick-up for $53. West Marine takes care of the shipping and details.

I hesitated on purchasing a used unit out of fear that reprogramming would be difficult and expensive, or that the shipping costs would eat up the money I saved by purchasing a used unit. It turned out to not be an issue. My only complaints are that the on-line form is not very easy to find (AIS Transceiver & MMSI Registration | West Marine), and that the sales rep at the store was not initially familiar with how to handle the issue. He had to make several phone calls, but that's OK, since he got it right.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 05:50   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: West Marine AIS Reprogramming

It's not quite the same thing, but I screwed up entering the MMSI information in the Standard Horizon VHF that came installed on my used boat. It can only be programmed twice.

I called SH and they had me ship it to them. I did and they cleared out the previous information and returned it to me prepaid. No cost for clearing out the previous information and no cost for return shipping.
Old 26-04-2016, 22:15   #3

Boat: Malö 40H

I have to wonder about the rationale behind making electronics that require shipping to the manufacturer to change what it is in essence a configuration setting. The only reason I can think of is to discourage second hand use and thus sale more units??...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 22:43   #4

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
I have to wonder about the rationale behind making electronics that require shipping to the manufacturer to change what it is in essence a configuration setting. The only reason I can think of is to discourage second hand use and thus sale more units??...
The official reason is to prevent tampering with a unit at sea. So for example to prevent you from impersonating another boat by using their MMSI. Not a likely scenario in our waters, but maybe I'm not good enough in criminal thinking...
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, marine