Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2005, 15:13   #1

Question Weatherfax Recommendations Please

Hello,

We'll be heading to Mexico and the Soth Pacific this fall. I have a laptop on the boat and a Icom 706 SSB. I also have a older kantronics pactor modem. I found a "Software Systems Consulting" radio modem that was presumably used by the boat's previous owner for weatherfax but I do not have any software for it.

I am looking for some Weatherfax hardware and software recommendations please. Is there some software that I can buy for the existing hardware I have or should I be looking to start fresh?

Thank you for any help!
Old 21-04-2005, 18:07   #2

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
check out

Xaxero’s WeatherFax 2000

http://www.sea-tech.com/weatherfax2000.htm

I use the sound card version. There are two others.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2005, 18:11   #3

You don't need anyhardware to receive faxes. Using JVcomm all you need is an audio cable from your SSB to your mic input on the laptop. It works pretty well, and you can try it for an indefinite period as long as you don't mind the demo text printed across the Fax.

http://www.jvcomm.de/index_e.html

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 13:28   #4

Thumbs up NAVTEX and WEFAX

My post from another board :

Posted: Mar 18, 2005 04:02:38
Quote Edit

I use SeaTTY for NAVTEX and WEFAX.

http://www.sharewareorder.com/SeaTTY-download-12419.htm

This is excellent shareware and can generally be downloaded for free from the internet, but has to be registered (bought) to continue with it after a few weeks. Run this on your on-board laptop coupled to your HF communications receiver through an audio connection to your laptop's soundcard "Line In" jack. Set the soundcard's "Line In" setting to about 3/4 way up. (Any HF SSB, Ham radio or Yachtboy, Sony, etc with good frequency readout will work. )

It has three modes of operation: RTTY, NAVTEX and HF FAX

Weather charts and satellite images can be received in HF FAX

NAVTEX works very well too.

Price: $35.00

Bernard.
Anonymous

Posted: Mar 19, 2005 06:29:58

Thanks,

You mention it works with a Ham radio.

Where can I find Ham Band freq's for Navtex/WeFAX charts?

All I seem to find are marine SSB freqs.

Sorry to be so 'stupid' but this is the only place on the net I can find where there is a confluence (and expertise) between 'Ham & marine'.
Lhemmerich

Posted: Mar 19, 2005 07:47:32

I think that was a general satement meaning HAM radio can also get the standard SSB channels. As far as I know NOAA fct are on standard channels. the following link is a great page on HF RADIO & the second link is one buryed in that text that is a PDF doc that has ALL of the world wind HF frequencies as well as little used FTP way of getting weather fax so if you miss a broadcast you can still get the chart

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/radiofax.htm

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

Hope these sites help

Larry
KG6NZZ
Hamsailor

Posted: Mar 23, 2005 06:45:48
Quote Edit

Yes, Larry, that was what I meant. Sailors can also use their Ham radio (in addition to the emergency Yachtboy, Sony etc.) to get the Navtex/WeFAX charts off the NOAA standard channels.

- Everyone else see Lhemmerich's posting above.

One additional note: It is imperative to hear the Navtex/WeFax signal off the radio - for tuning purposes, as well as feeding it into the laptop's soundcard.

I use a 1/8" jackplug splitter bought at RadioShack and a small external speaker also from RadioShack. (All maybe $15.00). Plug the splittter into the radio's external speaker or earphone socket and feed both the external speaker and your laptop that way. Sometimes the 1/8" jackplug can be half pulled out to get the same effect, if you dont use a splitter and an external speaker.

SeaTTY has a nice filing feature which automaticallly files any received Navtexes and WeFAXes on your laptop as it receives them, so you dont have to be radioside to see the information. Just turn on the radio and the laptop at a few minutes before the transmission (you will soon learn the times), tune in the signal by ear and by looking at the graph on the screen, and go back on deck to do what you do best, ie. sailing. The software will do it's thing. Be sure to enable the AFC (automatic frequency control) on the software as well.

Come back down later to view the charts.

If this posting helped any, please post here or E-mail me.

Bernard
zs4bdk@hotmail.com
Hamsailor

Posted: Apr 27, 2005 06:21:21
Quote Edit

Also real good Navtex, WeFax, HF SITOR software - free, but with a demo nag, if you don't register (buy) :

JVComm

http://www.jvcomm.de/downloadpre.html

Hamsailor is offline   Reply With Quote