Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 17:22   #61

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: Weather Fax

I get pretty good signals here in the northeast from the New Orleans station during daylight hours.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 17:37   #62

Boat: Oyster 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
I get pretty good signals here in the northeast from the New Orleans station during daylight hours.
May I ask which band you use?
mjsalisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 18:21   #63

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

For the NOAA weather fax charts and their schedule for Boston (Atlantic north of Georgia go to: Radiofax Charts - Boston
and scroll down to the bottom where the heading "Schedules & Miscellaneous" is located. Download the first two items: Radiofax Schedule Part 1 (Boston, MA) and part 2.
- - For the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico go to: Radiofax Charts - New Orleans
and do the same thing as above.
- - The Frequencies are at the top of the page along with the times of day that they are broadcasting.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 18:27   #64

Boat: Oyster 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
For the NOAA weather fax charts and their schedule for Boston Radiofax Charts - Boston scroll down to the bottom where the heading "Schedules & Miscellaneous" is located. For the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico go to: Radiofax Charts - New Orleans
Oddly....sometimes it might be easier (due to skip and depending on Freq) to get New Orleans transmissions in NYC than to get Boston NOAA transmissions....anyone have this experience?

Mark Salisbury
KD2AHC
mjsalisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 18:41   #65

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

I usually get good reception on 12789.9 during the day.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:42   #66

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight
Re: Weather Fax ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMacG View Post
OP here. Thanks to everyone - fascinating discussion. Clearly, satellite connectivity's pricing and technology are just now getting to the point where things are getting interesting. I just ordered this bad boy today: http://etoncorp.com/upload/contents/...ecs_122210.pdf

I've decided to keep it simple - the receiver into the laptop running JVComm. If I were ever to throw away my dock lines for good, I'll likely pick up a satellite phone for email and voice calls, but like Auspicious my natural inclination is to keep recurring costs to a bare minimum and right now I'm only interested in getting the Wfaxes...

Any suggestions as to the external antenna? Is this just copper wire? Insights into what gauge, how long, how to deploy? Is there such a thing as semi-permanent antenna for this that won't require me to climb that big pointy thing I tie the sails to...?
Hi Rob,

Now that you have had the Grundig 750 for a while, how do you like it for wx info?

Regards,

Todd
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09   #67

Boat: Taswell 49

I have a Kaito reciever that I plan to use for weather fax with the computer and JVcomm software. It came with an external entenna that plugs into the radio via a 1/8" mono plug. The antenna is pretty flimsy and I want to make a better one. My boat is a ketch rig and the PO installed insulators on the triatic stay. My plan was to run 12 awg tinned wire up the mizzen and then clamp a bare portion of the wire to the insulated portion of the triatic. Then on the below decks end of the wire I would solder on a 1/8" mono plug to plug into the radio's antenna jack. My question is related to the soldering of this plug. I bought one at radio shak and it has two places to connect the wire to. My guess is they are for the two portions of the plug, the tip and the upper portion of the shaft as in left and right channel audio.

Which one of these two contacts should I solder my single conductor wire to? Or should I split the wire and solder to both points? Or should I be using two conductor wire?

Thanks all.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather