Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 12:17   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Waterproof screen

I'm currently looking into our next naviagtion system and we have decided it will be a laptop or Rpi running OpenCPN. The computer (pi or laptop) will be at the nav station, but we'd like to have a screen and control at the helm. Control is fairly easy via a wireless waterproof mouse/keyboard. What I'm having a hard time finding is good priced waterproof screen (HDMI). Has anyone found one?

If not is anyone using a good sunlight readable tablet using VNC ? The tablet would need to be waterproof or in a case (while sill working in bright sun).

thanks!
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 12:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Waterproof screen

This recent thread may contain some comments with possible solutions.
Look beyond the title.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-197434.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 15:19   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Thanks...unfortunately I'm not an iThing guy. I prefer android.
But still some general thoughts..
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 15:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
What I'm having a hard time finding is good priced waterproof screen (HDMI). Has anyone found one?

If not is anyone using a good sunlight readable tablet using VNC ? The tablet would need to be waterproof or in a case (while sill working in bright sun)
I've not yet seen a reasonably-priced, sunlight-readable and waterproof screen or tablet. A few have recommended Panasonic Toughbooks or similar industrial/military laptops, but those are very spendy new, and even the older used ones are not cheap for what you get.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 18:49   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Assuming you're talking just the screen, get cheap x 2 so you have a spare.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 20:24   #6

Boat: 1975 Clipper Marine Mk26

geoffr,
Last spring, I picked up a Sony Experia Z2 tablet specifically to run OpenCPN for my sailboat. The nice thing about the Sony is it is the only waterproof tablet that I have heard of. It runs OpenCPN with no problems, and except for direct sunlight, the screen is easily readable. The battery without plugging into a usb charging port is about 5-6hrs keeping the screen on continually and running OCPN. The tablet also had the magnetic charging port built into the bottom edge of the tablet. So far I am happy with it. Since I am in the process of re-wiring my boat anyway, I will be installing a power port near to or on the helm to power the tablet from the 12v system, so battery life will not be an issue. There is a Z3 version and I think a Z4 version available now. I only gave about $175 for it. It was supposed to be a refurbished unit, but what arrived looked like it was brand new, with the original plastic and packaging. It is supposed to be linked to Verizon, but I just access the network through my home network for updates and downloads. You may want to take a look at one.

Mitch
Mitch K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:14   #7

Garmin 182C

Screen fogging over - I have opened to leave in the sun for a few hours but no success. It appears the screen is a sealed unit.

This may be a bit old-tech but does everything I want.

Any suggestions?
Hahser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:36   #8
cruiser

Oven to 250°F, then turn off and place unit inside.

Rinse and repeat.

Actually, don't rinse.
Old 15-06-2018, 11:58   #9

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Android: Samsung Galaxy Active Tab 2.
Works fairly well and is ruggedized as well as waterproof.
Old 17-06-2018, 06:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Android: Samsung Galaxy Active Tab 2.
Works fairly well and is ruggedized as well as waterproof.

The Samsung Galaxy Active Tab 2 seems to be rugged enough... how is the screen for readability in sunlight?

Here in Canada, that tablet is about CAD$650... which makes it close pricewise to a small marine chartplotter that is waterproof and sunlight readable. Of course, you may get more use overall from a tablet, especially off the boat.
Old 17-06-2018, 06:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahser View Post
Garmin 182C

Screen fogging over - I have opened to leave in the sun for a few hours but no success. It appears the screen is a sealed unit.

This may be a bit old-tech but does everything I want.

Any suggestions?
Are you certain the fogging is in the display module itself, and not just on the backside of the case glass? or maybe the fogging is actually the display layers coming apart?

The next step is to open the case, and put the display part into a big enough jar with some silica gel (... the stuff in the little packet that warns you not to eat it). You can also use dry rice. And leave it there for a few weeks.

Some display modules like that have tape on the edges or some other seal - try to determine if that seal was ever breached which let moisture in.

If you do manage to de-fog the display, reassemble everything on a colder dry day. Maybe stick a packet of silica gel in if there's room.

Good luck. if the display is shot, maybe you can find another 182C for cheap. Here's one.
Old 17-06-2018, 16:10   #12
cruiser

Likely to not last as long, designed for planned obsolescence.
Old 17-06-2018, 16:25   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 36

If you do not use a "normal" touchscreen into extremes, you'll be fine. If you want to be sure the screen continues to operate in soaking wet, incoming wave, cold, handgloves, bizar circumstances... get a Panasonic Toughbook (used one) or something simular. (ebay: rugged laptop)

In the end it'll be cheaper because you can use a "GPS-mouse" to input positioning signal, if your Toughbook hasn't got a build in GPS. A cheap TV receiver USB device will do as an AIS receiver, radar. OPENcpn has pretty amazing legal and illigal copies of charts going around. And it's a hell of a lot more sturdy than a tablet by any make with or without any cover.
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen, water