Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2010, 04:47   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
"broadcast quality" is all over the map depending on who you talk to.

The only definitive limits I've seen were created by Discovery HD Theatre. The lowest price camera they will accept is the Sony EX-1 at about $6000. Most of what is shot for them are done on $50,000+ camera packages. Quality HD lenses run $20,000 each.

Tethering to a laptop is fraught with trouble for recording. The cable can be easily be disconnected. Plus you have a big headache dealing with the tether. I wouldn't trust a laptop in the field to be a reliable record device.

Memory card cameras are becoming very popular and very easy to use. Buy decent SDHC cards and you have a good system for recording

Old 11-10-2010, 06:38   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
What are the specs for broadcast quality? It it just a matter of frames per second and resolution? Does it have to be 1080p?

I didn't see a link

Oppps, sorry

Cameras - Video - PRA Imaging

Thats a cannon page. Look for Sony too

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:44   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
"broadcast quality" is all over the map depending on who you talk to.

. Buy decent SDHC cards and you have a good system for recording
Yes.
The basic point is to know what you want if for. Some cruisers choof off around the world expecting to be the next David Attenborough. well, no matter the great content it just can't get used by commercial TV etc.

(About once per week people ask me if I am writing a book, then every secod week they ask if I'm making a doco... Can someone be allowed to sloth in their retirement? LOL)

You still need a good video camera to play at home on a big new TV set.... or your audience will walk out!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13   #34

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Canon Powershot D10

We've been using the Cannon Powershot D10 for underwater pictures and short movie clips for the past few weeks while sampling for oil contamination on Pensacola Beach. Got some cool underwater pics and a movie clip of some pompano.

I love this camera. Great underwater shots and above water shots. The comparison that a previous poster had a link to also rated this camera at the top. (Post #6 from Barnakiel)
Old 11-10-2010, 17:20   #35

Boradcast quality is such a subjective term, it really boils down to the quality of the content not the camera these days.

Discovery's spec sheet is so ridiculous, not sure why they even publish that, the number one goto handheld cam for network tv and the top 4 rated Discovery's shows are all shot on handheld HDV Sony Z7's (it's a cheaper cam than the EX1), Deadliest Catch, Storm Chasers etc. it's also the Travel Channels #1 goto cam, Anthony Bourdane is shot on it and almost all the reality shows on E!

The cheapest cam I have used that the footage airs on Discovery Channel is a web cam that costs $99, then the HD Go Pro (bought 10 of them at NAB in Vegas for a special they had @$189 each).

It really erks me when people think they have to have a certain or the best camera to make somthing good, it's so far from the truth in adventure / reality broadcast tv.

Dennisals,

There is a big difference between a $35 web cam and a $99 web cam, the logitech ones I bought were $99 each when I bought them and were advertised not long ago on the net for $65, I'm sure they have better ones out now. I'd get on google and rearch for some of the latest reviews. Other web cams had a higher overall rating than the ones I bought but that was because of the audio, the video on them was actually worse so make sure you understand the ratings and how they picked them. Who cares about audio on a cam your going to stick on a pole or put on a cheap tripod underwater, right?

Some of the best shots are gotten on these cheap cams because who really cares about breaking them, I think you did good with the purchase of that little panasonic cam, it sounds like a fun cam to have and it's so small you can cary it anywhere, that's really about what it's about.

Go to filmtools.com and order a small suction cup mounting bracket so you can stick it on the side of the hull a little above waterline and have some fun with it!
Old 11-10-2010, 17:32   #36
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I've had my Olympus Stylus 850 on several multi-week sea kayak expeditions, and it's held up nicely to the sand and salt. The Canons seem to take better pictures, and I'll probably move in that direction once I trash the Olympus.
Old 11-10-2010, 18:24   #37

After 20 something years as a photojournalist dragging around two, heavy pro bodies and big glass, I decided to get a Canon G11 for quick pictures and to carry on the boat and in the woods.

I was blown away by the image quality when I got it. The images were of about the same quality as those taken with my Nikon D2X (which cost $4,500 for the body alone, no lens no battery, no flash.....no, I'm not kidding.) I have shot many pictures with it for my job and the quality is stunning. I have not shot video with the G11 yet, but I have shot video on an older Canon Elph and felt the quality was excellent for a P&S camera, and the G11 should be worlds better.

Some of the features I was looking for were manual override controls, an optional flash unit and a good optical zoom range. The G11 has all of these. I also have the optional underwater case that sells for under $200.

I think all these features plus ease of use make it a great camera. But, depending on your viewpoint, it can seem a bit pricey. The camera runs around $450 these days, I believe. The underwater housing is just under $200. If you want the shoe mount flash, that's another 100-150$. Just remember, the housing and flash are not necessary. It has a built-in flash and if you're not going underwater, you don't need the housing.

The reality is that you get what you pay for. If a $250 camera produced the quality Gopro claims, half of the imaging industry would be out of business now. That said, I can see the Gopro does have some cool applications. From my experience, even if you don't go with the G11, I would stick with Canon. Hope I've helped you at least a little.
Old 11-10-2010, 18:32   #38

Just a fun fact: The #1 most aired consumer HD camera footage (you know a consumer cam that you can walk into any electronics store and buy cheap) is from the Canon HV 20, I think you can buy them off eBay used for under $250 today. Not that it's a great cam now (just a decent comsumer cam when it came out), there are just so many of them out there and they have had lots of time over the last 3 or 4 years for their footage to find it's way to broadcast tv.

So there you guys go from a comsumer cam broadcast point of view.

Warning: don't go out and buy one, almost all cameras are better now that cost $500 or less.
Old 11-10-2010, 18:32   #39

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Iv spent some time now comparing waterproof HD cameras...all the reviews show may dissatisfied customers in regards to leaks,runied camera, horibal coustomer service and lens error messages.

I was going to go the Sanyo xacti...it has about the worst in reviews...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 00:41   #40
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Quote:
There is a big difference between a $35 web cam and a $99 web cam, the logitech ones I bought were $99 each when I bought them and were advertised not long ago on the net for $65, I'm sure they have better ones out now. I'd get on google and rearch for some of the latest reviews. Other web cams had a higher overall rating than the ones I bought but that was because of the audio, the video on them was actually worse so make sure you understand the ratings and how they picked them. Who cares about audio on a cam your going to stick on a pole or put on a cheap tripod underwater, right?
Can you please find out what this web cam is called that you used? Was it 720 or 1080? Logitec now has a 1080 webcam! All the ones I linked (did you take a look at the links) were 720.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34   #41

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Can you please find out what this web cam is called that you used? Was it 720 or 1080? Logitec now has a 1080 webcam! All the ones I linked (did you take a look at the links) were 720.
Mine were 720. The new c910 1080p web cam looked really good for a web cam, for a web cam. PC magazine gave it their editors choice award.

Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

I saw they had a vendor selling it for $77. Buy it for a cam to tease sharks with on the end of a pole (no wonder why they hate us) I looked at some footage from it on you tube, not bad at all, there was even a low light test of star trek shot with it that looked really good (for a web cam).

A couple things to remember, your going to be limited to about 16 feet for the USB cable length, things just dont work when you get much over that length, the review in PC magazine said it has a 5 foot cable built in so get a 10 foot extension and find a way to seal up the connection.

Your also going to have to make a small square plexiglass box because it is shaped different than a web cam that will fit in a PVC pipe, good news is you can put two cams in the plexiglass underwater box if you want, forward and rear views. Maybe you will find something pre made at a hardware store for a few bucks that can be modified easily.

Web cams have what is called a CMOS image sensor, they tend to create the jello effect when moved around quickly but sometimes it makes the shot look better and more dramatic. You could always stick it on a cheap $20 tripod underwater.

Do you have any video editing software right now? I think windows has a free video capture program that might have less compression than the logitech software it comes with, you'll have to run a test and see or see whats out there on google.

Should be a fun project under $120 for one cam.

Don't forget the chum!
Old 17-10-2010, 01:41   #42

Off topic but I saw this amazing video from an Go Pro HD cam, an iPhone used for a gps and a weather ballon. For $1K they got footage from outer space.

Thought it might be of interest to others here who had mentioned the Go Pro HD cam. This is what really fascinates me about photography, it's the content not the camera.

Please watch the vide:
http://vimeo.com/15091562
Old 17-10-2010, 01:42   #43

By bad, try this link:

Homemade Spacecraft on Vimeo
Old 27-10-2010, 18:57   #44

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 is my choice. I've used one version or the other for years.

Tags
camera

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: