Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 17:28   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
gopro is a very interesting camera...if you like super wide angle shots. No zoom. But a lot of great features if you can live with the super wide angle. probably not suitable as an all around camera
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 20:13   #17

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We shot all of our videos using a Canon XL1 and Canon XL2. They are not waterproof, but we did use a spray cover to protect them in challenging conditions.

We were very pleased with the results. Quality was as good as the person shooting the video.

Check out this link, and go to the bottom of the page to see the four video clips shot with this camera.

The Red Sea Chronicles - A First Class Sailing Adventure.* Captain Dave.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 20:58   #18

Boat: Baba 35
I used a DicaPac with my Lumix-LX3.
Worked fantastically!
Digital camera waterproof case !!DICAPAC!!

Don't forget to get an underwater filter as well. You can get the Magic Filter which is trimable for your lens size. No more Aqua Blue coral after you put it on.
M A G I C - F I L T E R S

The cost for both items came under $100 and I get to use my existing camera.

My first shot! Hehe. (Norman Island BVI)
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:27   #19
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Is there any USB type video camera like a web cam with a HD picture that I can hook up that records straight to the laptop?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:58   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Is there any USB type video camera like a web cam with a HD picture that I can hook up that records straight to the laptop?
No. Because USB is too slow for HD.
You need a 13944 Firewire connection/card.
Then the good video camera can also work like a built in camera wehre you can record to laptop.

Video is a bit weird where the good quailty stuff - AVI files really are large: 1/2 MB per second.

Funnily enough I think the best kit is the expensive stuff.
Underwater cameras are crap unless you have the underwater houseing then they are great!

But I still think a good digital SLR camera with a huigh frame per second rate is important.

The photos below are on a Cannon 40d at 9.5 frams per second

The original

You need a good camera and lens to be able to have a good close up.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 22:33   #21
cruiser

Cheers. Nice pic
Old 10-10-2010, 23:28   #22

Quote:
Yes there are, it depends on the in cam compression if it can send HD video over USB, Marks right for raw video but with in cam compression it is possible.

I edit HD video on my Avid Media Composer system with the media on a single USB drive in real time.

Most manufactures have been moving to hdmi output while waiting for USB 3.0 to gain popularity, you can buy a hdmi input card for your computer for under $100, they run more expensive for a laptop.

It would be fun to stick one on a pole and tease the sharks
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 00:40   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Yes there are, it depends on the in cam compression if it can send HD video over USB, Marks right for raw video but with in cam compression it is possible.

I edit HD video on my Avid Media Composer system with the media on a single USB drive in real time.

Most manufactures have been moving to hdmi output while waiting for USB 3.0 to gain popularity, you can buy a hdmi input card for your computer for under $100, they run more expensive for a laptop.

It would be fun to stick one on a pole and tease the sharks
haha thats the sort of thing I want to do. Also having it mounted filming all the time will more likely to catch something interesting. If it goes straight to the laptop I don't have to worry about memory and batteries running out.

Got any names of those cameras?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13   #24

Quote:
haha thats the sort of thing I want to do. Also having it mounted filming all the time will more likely to catch something interesting. If it goes straight to the laptop I don't have to worry about memory and batteries running out.

Got any names of those cameras?
You can find them on google, I'll try to look into it more, I have several logitech HD 720 USB web cams that you could put in a waterproof bag on the end of a pole and hold it under water, when the fish or shark takes off with it the video will be on your laptop and your only out $65. The quality of the HD web cam is pretty decent, they have gotten a lot better, i have used several for dash cams for on land hurricane and tornado chases for network tv. If you watch Discovery Channel you'll see some footage from them and also the HD go pro cams on a show called Storm Chasers in a week. The external mounted cams on the dominator looking in are the HD go pro cams. Pretty cool what can now be done for a couple hundred bucks and some imagination, huh?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22   #25

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Just put the standard camera in a double polythene bag, seal each separately.
You may lose a little quality but you won't miss that special shot, or risk some expensive hardware on just swimming around for fun.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:43   #26

There are also some videos on you tube about how to make an underwater camera housing from a short piece of PVC pipe, some silicone and a piece of plexiglass, you can buy all the materials for under 10$. Maybe even paint it to look like a fish or put it inside a dead fish so the cam looks out its mouth. I'm sure you'll come up will all kinds of fun things to do with it when you get bored.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:02   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
I didnt know that

Would be nice if using an HD camera to be able to record at Broadcast Quality.

For dennisail
Thats basically a minimum standard for TV transmition. It means that anything you record or edit you can show on a TV set at home (or sell, I suppose) it can even go up to cinema screen size with only a reasonable loss of quality.
For computer use and website, emailing etc you can save your edited version at a much lower quality.

So it depends what you think you want the end result to be.

But buying an HD camera with the thought of making a documentary of your cruising means you need to record via firewire (or whatever is broadcast quality).

Have a look at this link and you will see the difference in HD cam for $1,650 and HD broadcast qualtiy at $5,000
But I think theres Broadcast quality cheaper than $5,000, but I don't know which is good.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:30   #29
cruiser

What are the specs for broadcast quality? It it just a matter of frames per second and resolution? Does it have to be 1080p?

I didn't see a link
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42   #30

I've used a Cannon SD 600 for a few years. It took a beating and still works but, the focus was getting a little rough when zooming. So I made it my backup and bought a Cannon SD780 as the main on board camera. I also bought a cheap ($30) underwater camera bag on EBAY for wet weather and an occassional underwater (shallow) shot. It has worked very well for my needs.
Here is some shots taken with the old SD600 earlier this year underwater with the underwater bag:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: JUST SCRAPPING BY

Here is some video taken underway with Cannon SD780 recently:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: HAPPY AT THE HELM!

I like the Cannon Power Shots because I can keep them in my shirt pocket and pull them out when I need to document something. They are also reasonable in price so I won't feel so bad if it goes over the side. Then as third backup I can also use the camera in my Blackberry.

Tags
camera