Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 15:03   #1

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Want to set up a boat WiFi system that connects through marina's wifi

We have a laptop, two iPads, two iPhones, a BluRay player and a smart TV that all connect to the internet over WiFi. Every time we stop at a marina, we have to reset the WiFi on each device we want to use. What we would like to do is set up a universal access point and connect all of our devices to it. When we pull into a marina we would then use the laptop or an iPhone to access the access point, point it to the marina's WiFi, and all of our devices will have pass through internet access. Does such a device exist? Any suggestions, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 17:31   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Want to set up a boat WiFi system that connects through marina's wifi

A Raspberry Pi running openplotter can do exactly that. No need for a monitor, you can access it with a laptop or tablet. Just need a Raspberry Pi 3, case, sd card, USB power supply and a wifi dongle, maybe wise to splash out on a good one with an external aerial.
Blog | Sailoog
Plus it can do so much more.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 17:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

I hooked a wifi bullet antenna to a router. The antenna connection is controlled with a dotted quad connection from my laptop browser(Chrome). All my devices connect to the router. The bullet gets excellent wifi connection and we're all happy. Yahoo Netflix!!
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 17:49   #4

Boat: C&C 34

John,

http://islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

There are other options out there to.

I just set my system up with an Ubiquiti Bullet and a router. Basically the same as the commercial products available as above but just a little cheaper. The Ubiquiti configuration utility is a bit awkward and takes some time to get used to.

The Island Time PC system has a lot of fans on this forum and is supposed to be easy to set up with good user interface software.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 18:24   #5

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
John,

http://islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

There are other options out there to.

I just set my system up with an Ubiquiti Bullet and a router. Basically the same as the commercial products available as above but just a little cheaper. The Ubiquiti configuration utility is a bit awkward and takes some time to get used to.

The Island Time PC system has a lot of fans on this forum and is supposed to be easy to set up with good user interface software.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

We have the same situation with multiple devices connecting to one access point. Went with Island Time years ago. Installed a Groove Antenna with a router. Need only connect to the remote site with the antenna and all devices on the boat auto connect to the router.

Island Time system is terrific. It's one stop shopping and excellent customer service.

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 02-12-2016, 19:16   #6

Boat: Riva 48

It is a very common situation. What you need is a travel router, for example Netgear PR2000, for $35. It can be powered from a USB cable, it has a good antenna and it is easy to setup. It can run both as a router and a switch. Run it as a router if you want one device to login through the router and the rest to share the connection. It is great for marina wi-fi that has a complicated setup process. On the other hand some marinas limit the bandwidth per MAC address. Then you run it as a switch and each device can login separately to maximize the speed. It is a great little device.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:45   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have same problem of multiple devices on board. I use the "RedBox" plus what mailasail calls a Wi Fi Bat antenna. I have certainly had up to 3 nm. Mailasail claim even more can be poss. Needs line of sight and is equally good when at anchor to connect through the wifI of a beach bar. On the same unit you can connect a 3G/4G dongle for which there are various multi-country data-SIM cards available. I use Transatel
Old 03-12-2016, 08:50   #8

I installed a Bitstorm BAD BOY Xtreme MJ (Bitstorm Bad Boy Xtreme MJ Kit) on the masthead with a Unleashed N secure private hotspot 2 years ago. No configuration issues; has worked without problems from first installation. When choosing a country in the software program, it automatically adjusts the signal to local regulations. You can connect as many devices as you wish over Wifi. In one port, I connected to SAS Radisson, in another to the nearby RV network.
Ragha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:55   #9

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Take a look at the Wirie. There is also an option to add cellular.
http://www.thewirie.com/
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:09   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design

We use a 'Bad Boy' omni-directional wifi enhancer which will do everything you're looking for - and more!
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:14   #11

Cheap and Easy,

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002SYUP...6X5GK4N8&psc=1

You can attach an outside antenna for directional reception and it creates a Hotspot for your Boat that you control.
Williker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:41   #12

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

A laptop has all the hardware necessary to serve as a router. I have a setup with free downloaded software that turns my laptop into a router.
works just fine though i do enhance the range with an Alpha antenna signal booster plugged into the usb port of the laptop. F
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:34   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Simple low budget solution?

Use two mobiles.

One receives the Marina Wi-Fi.
Shares that Wi-Fi connection with the other one via
Bluetooth or wired USB teather to the other phone (not Wi-Fi ).

The other phone is now connected to www & builds up a local Wi-Fi acces point onto which all other devices are configured to.

Most phones can not receive and transmit a signal on Wi-Fi at the same time. That's why we built a bridge via Bluetooth or USB.

Another advantage is that the first phone could access www alternatively via network carrier.

Not superfast but works for us.

www.ladyrover.com
Old 03-12-2016, 13:14   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

We use a plain wifi extender. It taps into the shore-side AP and our onboard devices access the Internet thru it.

About USD 20 from your local store.

Mobile to wifi routers work in the same way. You may be able to find a device that joins both functionality in one box.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 15:58   #15

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Just remember that every time a boat uses a wi-fi extender or wireless router powered by a cellphone, you are using up the bandwidth, and every one (including you) runs slower. At the marina where I am currently located the marina's wifi broadcasts on channels 1,6, 11. Right now, my $35 usb-powered Alfa booster can see 4 other vessels broadcasting on channel 1, 6 vessels on #6, and 6 vessels on channel 11. I daresay most of these vessels are using the marina wireless and boosting the signal since it 'seems' to be weak or slow. Needless to say, everyone's wireless is running slow.

I strongly advise you skip the expensive wireless rebroadcasting systems and use a cheap wireless booster with a usb connection direct to your laptop.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, wifi