Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: Want the Best, Cheapest Easiest AIS solution:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
My ACR Nauticast-B class-B transponder specs a peak current rating of 2A, and an average power consumption of 4W. 4W would be 0.333 A @ 12 V. I recall measuring this and seeing a little less, but that should be a good budgetary number for a simple Class-B transponder. Other brands, with other interfaces and other features will be different.
Yes, but you also have to keep in mind the power consumption for the requisite display, MFD, plotter, computer, or whatever you choose.

For a comparison, a WatchMate 850 with the display turned on uses about 250mA @12V on average. When it is in low power mode it runs around 200mA.

Since this includes the display system, it's far less than the overall system consumption of a black box AIS.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:03   #47
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Maybe I am doing the add ups wrong, but here is Vespers page. Showing cost for splitters antenna bases for antenna etc etc.

Antennas and Splitters

Then I have to import it into Canada! Yip easy $600 on top of unit price! I'll wait, it is a great piece of kit, but I need to see what I have left inmy kitty before I leave. But I drive a Toyota not a Rolls! I wish I wish!
There are lots of options, but all you need is a WatchMate 850 and a VHF antenna. If you mount it with a view of the sky then you don't need anything else. If you mount it below you need an $80 GPS antenna. There is no import cost into Canada.

Installation consists of connecting to 12VDC and plugging in the VHF antenna.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Do you think a future firmware upgrade could include converting and broadcasting NMEA2000 data to WiFi and USB as NMEA0183 ?

Otherwise it seems I'd have to buy a converter like the NGW-1 to use this function.

Also, can the WiFi be turned off ?
Right now the XB-8000 converts heading PGN's to 0183 and yes, we are planning to add support for converting other popular PGN's in an upcoming firmware update. We're using customer feedback to guide us on the priority. Right now the consensus is for wind/depth/speed.

The XB-8000 or Vision WiFi can be in three modes...

Off

Access point: It creates a secure WiFi network with up to 5 devices connecting to it

Client: It connects to an existing WiFi router and joins that network. This eliminates the need to constantly switch WiFi networks on your tablet, computer, etc if you already have a router on board and also lifts the 5 device maximum
Old 09-04-2013, 14:31   #49

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
Right now the XB-8000 converts heading PGN's to 0183 and yes, we are planning to add support for converting other popular PGN's in an upcoming firmware update. We're using customer feedback to guide us on the priority. Right now the consensus is for wind/depth/speed.
That's great !

I would add a few more PGN's: 130312 Air+water temp, 130314 Barometric pressure, 127245 Rudder.

It would be fantastic if you could also convert NMEA0183 APB, RMB and RMC. to the appropriate PGN's to allow a WiFi or USB connected navigator to send track information to an autopilot.

Any idea when this update might be expected ?

Is there a switch for enabling/disabling the WiFi or do you have to use a computer connected to the USB ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:09   #50

Boat: Skookum 53'

which ones provide CPA and TCPA? That is most vital information to me.
Old 09-04-2013, 15:14   #51

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We have the Garmin 600 and have been delighted with it. It's design eliminates the need for a dedicated VHF antenna or a splitter.

I realize this is anecdotal, but many of those whom we cruise with that have receive-only AIS often state that they're planning to upgrade so they can transmit AIS as well. Personally, I feel it's a valuable piece of safety equipment and the relatively small price differential should make it a no-brainer.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:39   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
That's great !

I would add a few more PGN's: 130312 Air+water temp, 130314 Barometric pressure, 127245 Rudder.

It would be fantastic if you could also convert NMEA0183 APB, RMB and RMC. to the appropriate PGN's to allow a WiFi or USB connected navigator to send track information to an autopilot.

Any idea when this update might be expected ?

Is there a switch for enabling/disabling the WiFi or do you have to use a computer connected to the USB ?
Thanks for the suggestions. FYI: PGN 129025 & 129026 are already there so no need for RMC conversion.

There are no external switches on the XB-8000, so you do need to use a computer to switch WiFi on or off. WatchMate Vision has a user interface that allows you to enable/disable the WiFi from the screen.
Old 09-04-2013, 17:49   #53

Boat: Privilege 482

All in, my Vesper 850 plus the external GPS was $900 USD from defender.com (not certain if they ship to Canada).

Say jeffrobbins: I can't get the screen on my unit to turn off due to inactivity on the anchor watch setting. Should it be doing this or is this screen saver function only available while in the "main" AIS mode?
Old 09-04-2013, 18:35   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
I can't get the screen on my unit to turn off due to inactivity on the anchor watch setting. Should it be doing this or is this screen saver function only available while in the "main" AIS mode?
I'll have to look at it to be sure... but I think I recall it will only automatically shut off the screen if you are on the main situation screen. The idea being that if you are actively looking at something else it shouldn't shut itself off. You also need to adjust the setting to enable it.
Old 09-04-2013, 18:41   #55

I've got it set to 2 minutes. Is the anchor alarm still working in the background if I go back to the main situation screen?

Don't want to derail the thread into my own private support issue, but do appreciate the help!
Old 09-04-2013, 18:44   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
I've got it set to 2 minutes. Is the anchor alarm still working in the background if I go back to the main situation screen?

Don't want to derail the thread into my own private support issue, but do appreciate the help!
Yes, anchor watch is still working even when you don't have that screen displayed. Give that a try and let me know how it goes. You can also contact via support@vespermarine.com
Old 09-04-2013, 18:45   #57

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

No problem teneicm! All information is valuable:-)
Old 09-04-2013, 18:55   #58

@jeffrobbins- Seems like it won't turn off as it still has targets in the main situation screen (actually 150 targets- we're anchored in Ft Lauderdale). Tuning off the screen in Anchor Watch mode (regardless of whether there are targets are not) would be a nice feature to include in the future. As I'm anchored, I don't really care about the targets and would prefer the screen to be off and only come on if the alarm goes off.
Old 09-04-2013, 19:53   #59
Marine Service Provider

Ahh.... that's it. The auto-shutoff feature is designed primarily for offshore at those times when there are no targets being received. It switches back on as soon as it receives a target and it's currently independent of alarm state.

I'll add to our list your suggestion to give an option to shut off based on alarm-state vs. target-presence. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 20:44   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37

We have had a Watchmate receiver since 2009, I think. It was pure stress relief when night sailing the busy Bashi Channel north of the Philippines and the waters of Japan and Korea. We had a problem with it in the Philippines and Vesper was quick to repair and return, though might have been replaced because it looked very clean.

My wife thinks it's the best bit of gear on the boat, a list that includes me.
Crossing the Pacific, it and a GPS were the only electronics on fulltime and used very little power.

Next time, we would definitely get the transceiver. It's nice to know you might be seen if missed by radar. We several times radioed ships who said they had not seen us.

Tags
ais