Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 13:54   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: VHF with DSC, AIS, and GPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
To make things sillier, used to be back in the day you were issued that radio telephone operator license when you got a pilots license, and aircraft were required to have a radio station license. Now the pilots license is considered a radio telephone license.
So, as I have pilots license does that comply?
I'd seriously doubt it as they are two different things. Well at least across Australia. And given the radio license across Australia, includes protocols for landing a plane in controlled air space, I doubt very much a local marina or marine control tower would understand, 'Bioec 589674 approaching right track 360 for a full stop'.

And yes, I have one of those too.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:36   #32

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Before making accusations dude, check the information. It was a direct pasted quote from the link supplied by the other poster!

If you desire to be this nitty picky, then take it up with the web producers of Boatus.com
Is there a rule here that wrong information is okay to post as long as you don't really clearly quote it from a non-authoritative source? My apologies, as I did not realize that is how the discussion operated. If you want to quote something, wrap it in quotation marks or use the block quote.

And who is "dude"?
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 13:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
Is there a rule here that wrong information is okay to post as long as you don't really clearly quote it from a non-authoritative source? My apologies, as I did not realize that is how the discussion operated. If you want to quote something, wrap it in quotation marks or use the block quote.

And who is "dude"?
Dude ! (That's you) follow the thread. And 'non authoritive' apparently they are authorised by the U.S. government according to the link.

It was pretty clear I'd pasted it but just for you in the future I'll spell it out. If you think it's "Wrong" ( see them quotes), then contact the administrators. Personally I don't think it was wrong. I think your being a touch rediculous in being so nitty picky
Old 30-10-2014, 14:08   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

Stopped by this since I am about to buy a class b AIS and one that was integrated in the VHF would be nice.

As far as MMSI In the US you can indeed get one for free from boatUS. However, it will not function outside of US waters. (Bahamas).

I opted for an MMSI and call sign from the FCC.

Forms | FCC.gov
http://www.fcc.gov/forms

You register for an FRN number ( just an FCC user number) and then you
Fill out form 605 online and pay $210. The number and call sign come in the mail ( 5 days) and are good for 10 years.

Gary
Old 30-10-2014, 14:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Stopped by this since I am about to buy a class b AIS and one that was integrated in the VHF would be nice.

As far as MMSI In the US you can indeed get one for free from boatUS. However, it will not function outside of US waters. (Bahamas).

I opted for an MMSI and call sign from the FCC.

Forms | FCC.gov
Forms | FCC.gov

You register for an FRN number ( just an FCC user number) and then you
Fill out form 605 online and pay $210. The number and call sign come in the mail ( 5 days) and are good for 10 years.
Gary
I'm a little lost. Why do you think an MMSI (from the US) will not work outside the US?
It's an identification number linked to a ship, as long as it's registered somewhere, and if you get one from the US you need to register it in the US, the same as an EPIRB, then it still works

And why pay $210 for one when you can get it for free from a legitamate source?

Found an answer to this myself - on the BOATUS FAQ's, apparently the MMSI BOATUS only provide a butchered version of an MMSI which operates through the US Coast Guard Search and Resuce Database and not the International Rescue Database.

Personally I think this was nuts to permit this to be the case. It has weakened and confused what was meant to be a good system.

What is the difference between obtaining an MMSI from the FCC and obtaining a number from BoatUS?
A: BoatUS MMSI numbers are coded for recreational vessels cruising in U.S. waters only not otherwise required to be licensed; the registrations are downloaded into the U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue Database (MISLE) only. FCC-assigned MMSI numbers are coded for International Waters and go into the International Search & Rescue Database (ITU). In order to be accepted into the ITU database, any FCC assigned MMSI must end in zero. This is why the BoatUS MMSI number cannot be re-used when later applying for an FCC License for international cruising.
Old 30-10-2014, 14:52   #36

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

A64 Here in Australia your licence to operate aircraft radio does not apply. I tried that on. I also tried to licence an aircraft radio to put on the boat to use on 121.5. That was not allowed either.

Regards
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 14:56   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hey, it was worth a try
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 15:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
A64 Here in Australia your licence to operate aircraft radio does not apply. I tried that on. I also tried to licence an aircraft radio to put on the boat to use on 121.5. That was not allowed either.

Regards
why would you want to use 121.5 on a boat?
Old 30-10-2014, 16:31   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
why would you want to use 121.5 on a boat?

Usually airliners will monitor it and you could get them to contact someone,
Although you'll have better luck on 123.45. I've done over water crossings out of
regular VHF range, didn't have a HF and have had luck with getting airliners to passs
on position reports to ATC for me on 123.45.
I thunk your better off putting the money into a EPIRB, but if you have an aircraft
radio laying around like I do, I guess why not?

121.5 is no longer monitored as a distress frequency by satellites though, like it
used to be.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 16:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Usually airliners will monitor it and you could get them to contact someone,
Although you'll have better luck on 123.45. I've done over water crossings out of
regular VHF range, didn't have a HF and have had luck with getting airliners to passs
on position reports to ATC for me on 123.45.
I thunk your better off putting the money into a EPIRB, but if you have an aircraft
radio laying around like I do, I guess why not?

121.5 is no longer monitored as a distress frequency by satellites though, like it
used to be.
My understanding is that few airlines now monitor it as well.
Old 30-10-2014, 17:03   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Found an answer to this myself - on the BOATUS FAQ's, apparently the MMSI BOATUS only provide a butchered version of an MMSI which operates through the US Coast Guard Search and Resuce Database and not the International Rescue Database.

Personally I think this was nuts to permit this to be the case. It has weakened and confused what was meant to be a good system.
For 99.5% of recreational boaters in the US, the BoatUS MMSI is adequate. Its intent was to encourage people to register their DSC equipped VHF radios. It has been a long road to get the boating public to understand that for the red DISTRESS button on their radio to be of much use the device needs to be linked to a GPS receiver and have an MMSI number programmed. The thinking was that a simple and free online registration process for a BoatUS MMSI would allow people to avoid the hassle and cost of FCC registration. While the intentions of creating the parallel system were good, it ended up trading one confusing situation for another and unfortunately even with free MMSI numbers available the majority of recreational boaters still don’t seem to understand or care what DSC and MMSI are or the benefits. Wider spread adoption of AIS may change this.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 17:05   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
For 99.5% of recreational boaters in the US, the BoatUS MMSI is adequate. Its intent was to encourage people to register their DSC equipped VHF radios. It has been a long road to get the boating public to understand that for the red DISTRESS button on their radio to be of much use the device needs to be linked to a GPS receiver and have an MMSI number programmed. The thinking was that a simple and free online registration process for a BoatUS MMSI would allow people to avoid the hassle and cost of FCC registration. While the intentions of creating the parallel system were good, it ended up trading one confusing situation for another and unfortunately even with free MMSI numbers available the majority of recreational boaters still don’t seem to understand or care what DSC and MMSI are or the benefits. Wider spread adoption of AIS may change this.
Thanks for that. Why does the US charge for FCC registration. The equivalent here is free.
Old 30-10-2014, 18:57   #43

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Why 121.5 well that is the frequency any search directional finders are on. All the 406 devices still contain 121.5 signal for that reason. Search teams will be listening on 121.5. As far as I know the 2nd radio in aircraft if not needed is still selected to 121.5 which is the emergency aircraft frequency. It used to be 123.45 "the numbers" was selected on request. ie chat frequency.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:04   #44

Quote:
My understanding is that few airlines now monitor it as well.
Rustic,

over the ocean - all airliners are monitoring. occasionally some may forget to, but this would be rare in my opinion. i fly over the ocean a lot.

over land it may not be as regular - as there are other things to listen to - like company freq or atis - or when on a short flight. but when you are in cruise an airliner is most probably listening to 121.5

m

Beneteau Oceanis 50
MickBeth50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:05   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
Why 121.5 well that is the frequency any search directional finders are on. All the 406 devices still contain 121.5 signal for that reason. Search teams will be listening on 121.5. As far as I know the 2nd radio in aircraft if not needed is still selected to 121.5 which is the emergency aircraft frequency. It used to be 123.45 "the numbers" was selected on request. ie chat frequency.

Yes but, WHY have a radio on a boat listening to 121.5?

I wasn't aware that 406 devices still contain 121.5 signals? And search teams will be listening on 121.5?

Tags
ais, dsc, gps, vhf