Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2013, 13:48   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: VHF / UHF HAM Radio Antenna ... and AIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Next thing I need is a N2K to Ethernet converter. To get stuff to the iPads etc.

cheers,
Nick.
There are several ways to do that.

If you had a Navico plotter, you could use GoFree, and not only get your data on your IPads, but remotely operate the plotter and radar, too. You don't even need to buy the GoFree module; it's all standard Ethernet, so you can just plug in any domestic WiFi terminal via a built-in Ethernet port.

There are a few different WiFi bridges which will work with any system. Here's just one of them: Chetco SeaSmart N2K WiFi Gateway | Blue Heron Marine Electronics

If you already have a USB bridge like the Actisense (the one I bought), you can just share the connection with other computers over WiFi, from a computer connected by USB.

I think it's not too hard. GoFree is the coolest application, however, of this. You can operate your radar from your bunk, if you like

Old 20-05-2013, 14:40   #62
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

There are several ways to do that.

If you had a Navico plotter, you could use GoFree, and not only get your data on your IPads, but remotely operate the plotter and radar, too. You don't even need to buy the GoFree module; it's all standard Ethernet, so you can just plug in any domestic WiFi terminal via a built-in Ethernet port.

There are a few different WiFi bridges which will work with any system. Here's just one of them: Chetco SeaSmart N2K WiFi Gateway | Blue Heron Marine Electronics

If you already have a USB bridge like the Actisense (the one I bought), you can just share the connection with other computers over WiFi, from a computer connected by USB.

I think it's not too hard. GoFree is the coolest application, however, of this. You can operate your radar from your bunk, if you like
I already have full nav + AIS + radar on my iPad using the Ethernet gateway in Furuno and MaxSea TimeZero. But my searches for plain converters were still NMEA0183 and the wait is for more choice as I'm not certain the current offerings will work trouble free. I'll check out that SeaSmart though, tnx!

Old 25-08-2013, 02:45   #63

Re: VHF / UHF HAM Radio Antenna ... and AIS?

HEllo All you Amateurs with desire to transceive AIS via 2 meter.

I have looked into decription the AIS signal on 161.975, 162.025 dual frequencies.
The Decription mode is 9.6 kbit/s Gaussian minimum shift keying (GMSK) modulation over 25 or 12.5 kHz channels using the High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) packet protocol.

So, please can someone explain how I can decript the GMSK modulaiton for use on my 2 meter Kenwood, with built in TNC, ARPS?
I am at a loss for how to do this..

Any help ???

KC5EBM
Old 25-08-2013, 08:04   #64
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Raiders View Post
HEllo All you Amateurs with desire to transceive AIS via 2 meter.

I have looked into decription the AIS signal on 161.975, 162.025 dual frequencies.
The Decription mode is 9.6 kbit/s Gaussian minimum shift keying (GMSK) modulation over 25 or 12.5 kHz channels using the High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) packet protocol.

So, please can someone explain how I can decript the GMSK modulaiton for use on my 2 meter Kenwood, with built in TNC, ARPS?
I am at a loss for how to do this..

Any help ???

KC5EBM
I have not had the urge to try that yet. I think the raw data could be demodulated using the TNC but decoding that data into AIS messages on the display will need code hacking. If somebody hacks the d710, one could program it to be AIS transponder I think.

For now, you'll probably end up using a PC with software to do this...

Tags
ais, antenna

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: