Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2008, 05:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
VHF Tx problem

The radio is a Standard Horizon Matrix model. The problem is when I try to transmit on high power, from time to time, it will not transmit. The Tx indicator just blinks REALLY fast and clips the trans at the same speed then quits transmitting completely. It only does it on high power and naturally the problem is intermittent. It usually only last a few minutes then works great. I have very good strength with the unit and works well the majority of the time. I tried wiggling the antenna connection at the radio, changed mikes, and checked the power. All seems fine!!!! I was told it is probably the connection at the mast head The radio and install is about two years old!!
https://www.svjusdreaming.bravehost.com/
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 06:34   #2

It sounds like there is a cold solder (improperly made connection *very common*) somewhere in the high power circuit somewhere. This will cause intermittent problems which sometimes go away when the unit heats up enought to expand the connections. STOP WIGGLING CONNECTIONS. If they are not broken you will break them by doing this. Before I climbed the mast I would have someone competent inspect the xmtter. See if you can order a copy of the wiring diagram from the manufacturer then bring the whole unit in to the local TV repair shop. A competent person should be able to at least inspect it and fix a poorly soldered connection. Or if it is still under warranty send it back to them let them deal with the headache. It'll cost you about the same either way. And if that fails, up up yo go. Good luck.
Old 26-07-2008, 06:44   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
It sure sounds like the electrical power suppy is dodgy, and can't suppy the amps needed for high power tranmitting. Try connecting a new pair of wires directly from the radio to the battery posts and see if it cures the problem. If it doesn't, the problem is probably internal to the radio, and its time for a new one.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote