Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2014, 08:01   #1

Boat: Morgan 461
VHF squelch: static or nothing

Hello cruisers,

A few days ago we noticed there was no traffic on the VHF for a full day, which is quite strange for the Abacos, where we are cruising. We confirmed that our onboard VHF wasn't receiving any transmissions by calling the boat from our handheld.

It tuns out that in order to receive any transmissions we need to turn down the squelch to the point where there's constant static; in that setting we receive voice transmissions and static. If we turn the knob just enough to get rid of the static, nothing gets through.

The radio had performed flawlessly up until that day.

Thinking that there might be some new RF interference on the boat (we haven't added any new electronics, so it seemed unlikely), we tried shutting off every breaker on board except for the VHF. The radio's behaviour did not change; we got static (along with voice when someone was transmitting) or nothing at all.

We've been having constant squalls in the last couple of weeks but haven't been hit by lightning. Every other electronic device on the boat works perfectly fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 08:21   #2

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat
Re: VHF squelch: static or nothing

Could be either desensitization of your radio because of a deteriorated antenna/cable, or some new radio noise source raising the general noise floor.

A quick diagnostic test might be to disconnect the antenna cable at the back of the set and temporarily connect a "rubber ducky" stub antenna. If the problem goes away, the problem was in the original antenna or cable.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 08:22   #3

When I was having some antenna issues, I found it handy to get one of these for diagnostic purposes. I had lousy reception with my main antenna, but it was fine with this :

SHAKESPEARE Stowaway Emergency VHF Antenna | West Marine

Eventually re-terminating all the connectors between the radio and antenna fixed my problem. I prefer solder able gold plated ones. There's often an inline connector at the base of the mast which is prone to problems, as it gets wet.

It's always handy to have the emergency antenna, anyway.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 08:50   #4

Thanks a lot guys. I'll check the antenna and its connections.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-06-2014, 09:38   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We had that exact same problem with our Standard Horizon and spent days troubleshooting the antenna. It was not the antenna and we had to send the radio back for repairs. Turned out to be internal. Other stations could actually hear us, but we could not receive without the squelch all the way down. I suggest you contact the manufacturer and get their suggestions for troubleshooting. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 09:41   #6

Thanks AnchorageGuy. It just so happens that this is a Standard Horizon as well. I'll contact them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-06-2014, 11:48   #7

I doubt there is a noise problem. The squelch would break with noise at a higher level. If possible, put your handheld on the fixed radio's antenna and call for a radio check. What you describe sounds like it could be a broken antenna/ cable or connector. Trying the other radio may be a simple way to check. If you're staying near other boats or friends, maybe you could swap radios just to see if the trouble follows the radio or antenna.
El Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf