Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2010, 13:46   #1

Boat: Albin 32+2 CB - RELAX'N
VHF Radio License

I read in one of the guide books that I need a radio liscense if I am going to be using the VHF outside the US. I got on the FCC site and ordered the forms to apply for this liscense, which they said was free. When I recieved this material, it was 27 pages, none of which I understand. It appears they sent me several different documents, and I am supposed to know which one to use.

I then contact a person at Sea School, and they told me I needed to pass a "test" in order to get the liscense. They sent me a lot of questions, with the correct answers at the bottom. Still lots to learn, and they charge $50.00 for the test.

Is there an easy way to get this liscense, and do I really need it in the Bahamas?
Thanks,
Dougfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 14:23   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
You are supposed to have two licenses if you sail outside US waters or contact a foreign vessel: you need a ship's station license (good for 10 years) for the boat and a restricted operator's license (good forever) for you. Both have fees but neither requires a test. You can apply for and receive the licenses on-line on the FCC site.

On the FCC site get an FRN (basically just an FCC tracking number) first and then walk through the other two applications. It isn't hard, just mind-numbing.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 14:33   #3

If you want to be legal, you need the ships station license and restricted operators permit. I believe the current fee for station license is $160 and $65 for the operators permit. You can apply and pay online at the FCC web site.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 14:40   #4
Eternal Member

Just a tip: when you apply for the VHF station license, check all the other boxes for, e.g., SSB, radar, EPIRB, satellite, etc. Do this whether you have this equipment already or not. This way, you're covered for whatever transmitting equipment you may fit later on, and you won't have to re-apply and pay the fees all over again.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 14:51   #5

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
you should get your MMSI number first so you can put it in the requested box for your EPIRB, VHF with DSC calling etc. I paid $68 each for the ships license and RR operator license. All done online, paid for and everything.
If you use sailmail for communication you'll need to give them your VHF license number. If you have a VHF like my Standard Horizon 850 you plug in your MMSI number and then use your ships license. Also, if you choose a portable license you can use it from ship to ship. Like if you have your own vessel but take a Bareboat charter take your radio, you now have a VHF for "that" vessel.
Old 23-03-2010, 15:12   #6

Well, here's the info from the FCC's current filing fee guide.

Restricted Radiotelephone Operator

NOTE:
Aliens who are not legally eligible for employment in the United States should also use FCC 605.

New (Lifetime Permit & Limited Use) (Per Permit)

FCC 605

FCC 159
• Payment/Fee Type Code: PARR - $60.00 Fee

Part 80 Ship Radio Service
The instructions that follow are for filing applications. Select the purpose of filing and follow the instructions below:
New, Renewal or Renewal/Modification

FCC 605

FCC 159
• Payment/Fee Type Code: PASR - $160.00 Fee (For a new Fleet license, multiply number of stations in the Fleet by $160.00.)
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, radio