Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 12:18   #16

Re: VHF only working on Emergency channel 16

Std. Horizon has excellent tech support. Call them at the number in Post #12
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:37   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Freddo View Post
Thanks, I checked and I have the correct location set , but I did note I only had it set on 4 watt , I increased it to 25 watt .
I do recall my friend saying he did hear me once but faintly but I was not able to hear him.
Would increasing to 25 watt help the problem?
First of all, if the radio is working properly on channel 16 (to/from other boaters), then it is not likely an antenna / cable problem. (Then again, this is the most common fault so check all cables and connections (esp. at base of mast and antenna) anyway.)

Channel 16 may automatically transmit at 25W regardless of output power setting. Yes transmitting at lo power will reduce effective range.

So first step is to test unit at 25W setting.

If channel 16 only works with the Coast Guard (and not other boaters), it may well be an antenna / cable problem as they transmit at much higher power, and have much more sensitive equipment. If you call them for a radio check, ask which tower you are in contact with and its location. They will tell you how strong a signal they are receiving. If the tower is 20 miles away and they are reading you loud and clear, the unit is most likely good, just some sort of setting or channel selection problem.

Possibilities if problem persists with other boaters only, at 25 W:

1. Wrong "country" mode.
2. Wrong channel. (Some channels are reserved for special operations, try channel 72 (ship to ship recreational.)
3. Some strange setting in user programming.

Check you manual for how to perform a Master Reset to factory programming and try again.

Note that your output power setting has no bearing on your receive performance.

If all else fails, call in a "CERTIFIED" marine electronic technician to test your set-up wit ha VSWR meter.

Ramblin Rod
Certified Raymarine Installer / Service Provider
Licensed Yanmar Dealer
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 13:44   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Thanks, I checked and I have the correct location set , but I did note I only had it set on 4 watt , I increased it to 25 watt .

I am not sure but 16 probably remains at 25W? JM wild ass guess. Just sounds like a poor coax installation. Probably nothing wrong with the radio. I would be checking the center wire of the coax at the connections. Especially if not factory ends.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 17:18   #19

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
If he has an antenna problem, wouldn't that affect channel 16 as well?
Yes. The special nature of Channel 16 can disguise problems that show up with the other simplex channels:

* a VHF transceiver that has been set to low power transmission should automatically transmit at high power (e.g. 25 watts) on Channel 16

* in most jursidictions, Channel 16 is guarded by government agencies using powerful transceivers using antennas that have good range.

So a problem with a transceiver, its antenna connections, the antenna, or the coax can be disguised if radio checks are only done on VHF 16.
Old 01-01-2016, 17:23   #20

Boat: Currently boatless

Since you say you can communicate clearly on channel 16, I'm guessing that it is not an antenna or cable problem. You didn't say what model radio you have, but there may be a way to reset the microprocessor. If your manual doesn't give the procedure, SH tech support may help.

Incidentally, the channels assigned for recreational boater use (68, 69, 71, 72, and 9) are all simplex and should work regardless on how you have the US/Can/Int mode set.
Old 01-01-2016, 19:16   #21

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

I am not sure but 16 probably remains at 25W? JM wild ass guess. Just sounds like a poor coax installation. Probably nothing wrong with the radio. I would be checking the center wire of the coax at the connections. Especially if not factory ends.
On my Standard Horizon radio each channel can be set to L, M or H power. So it isn't a global setting but rather a channel by channel setting.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:04   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Don't think the 4 watt setting would affect recieving call ability.
Sorry to be the one to state the obvious, but have you checked your squelch setting...you want to turn it fully OFF until you solve this problem.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:07   #23

I would check your antenna cable. If possible, attach your antenna connector to another VHF set (even a handheld if possible). This will quickly tell you if its the antenna/cable setup, or the VHF set itself. Many boaters (myself included) carry a spare VHF, so maybe you can borrow one for testing.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:44   #24

Boat: SOLD: Grand Banks 46 Cockpit

Check your voltage coming into the radio. If it is below a certain point, I think 11.4V, the unit defaults to CH 16
Slow Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:48   #25

I'm am surprised we hadn't had one of the avid HAMs respond? They might put a finger on it. I'm still with the antenna coax/connections.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Poke View Post
Check your voltage coming into the radio. If it is below a certain point, I think 11.4V, the unit defaults to CH 16
Good point! The no load voltage may be high, but if the wire run is long, or the cables small, there might be big losses under load. Best to check the volts under load (while transmitting). I'm sure you'll see a dip, the question is how much?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:33   #27
Eternal Member

OK, guess I'm the "avid ham" and professional radio installer. Been waiting to see what others suggested.

The absolute FIRST basic tool to evaluate a radio installation...VHF or HF...is a power/swr meter, particularly when used with a real or substitute dummy load.

These two tools completely eliminate all the guessing.

First, check to see if the radio itself is operating OK on all channels. Hook up the SWR meter and dummy load, and transmit to see if the radio is putting out full power (25 watts) on all VHF frequencies.

If it is, then the problem is NOT the radio. The fault(s) lie elsewhere, so check all the connections, the coax, and all elements in the signal path.

The fact that someone can hear you and/or that you can hear someone on Channel 16 doesn't really mean very much. What you want to find out is how much power you are actually putting out from the radio and what the SWR is on various channels. This will give you a good indication of the health of the antenna system, i.e., the PL-259 connectors, coax, and antenna itself.

Similarly, substitution of another radio can be helpful, but it can be deceiving as well unless you have a power/swr meter inline and/or are experienced at radio troubleshooting.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
OK, guess I'm the "avid ham" and professional radio installer. Been waiting to see what others suggested.

The absolute FIRST basic tool to evaluate a radio installation...VHF or HF...is a power/swr meter, particularly when used with a real or substitute dummy load.

These two tools completely eliminate all the guessing.

First, check to see if the radio itself is operating OK on all channels. Hook up the SWR meter and dummy load, and transmit to see if the radio is putting out full power (25 watts) on all VHF frequencies.

If it is, then the problem is NOT the radio. The fault(s) lie elsewhere, so check all the connections, the coax, and all elements in the signal path.

The fact that someone can hear you and/or that you can hear someone on Channel 16 doesn't really mean very much. What you want to find out is how much power you are actually putting out from the radio and what the SWR is on various channels. This will give you a good indication of the health of the antenna system, i.e., the PL-259 connectors, coax, and antenna itself.

Similarly, substitution of another radio can be helpful, but it can be deceiving as well unless you have a power/swr meter inline and/or are experienced at radio troubleshooting.

Bill
WA6CCA
I'm afraid you are speaking Greek. With SWR meter and dummy load, Someplace I have both and a freq. meter. I was glad to see the ref. to rule out the radio. I think they make a tuned antenna that can be screwed into the radio as an emergency antenna one might be a good investment both to check his problem out and just to have if his antenna goes over the side.
Old 02-01-2016, 18:25   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 20' Boston Whaler Outrage

Killer Freddo,

Are you still experiencing issues transmitting after changing from 1W to 25W? Please make sure to speak clearly within one inch of the microphone. The microphone element has a waterproof patch over the mic element that helps reduce wind and engine noise.

The Garbone,

Channel 20A in USA mode is a simplex channel used for port operation and is not one of the assigned automated radio check channels. Automated Radio Checks are available on VHF Channels 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84 depending on your location.

According to Seatow's website the closest automated radio check locations to Sanford, FL are Ponce Inlet VHF Channel: 26 and Sea Tow Port Canaveral VHF Channel: 26.

https://www.seatow.com/tools-and-edu...ed-radio-check

R. Jason Kennedy
Executive Vice President
Standard Horizon
StandardHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 19:21   #30

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandardHorizon View Post
Killer Freddo,

Are you still experiencing issues transmitting after changing from 1W to 25W? Please make sure to speak clearly within one inch of the microphone. The microphone element has a waterproof patch over the mic element that helps reduce wind and engine noise.

The Garbone,

Channel 20A in USA mode is a simplex channel used for port operation and is not one of the assigned automated radio check channels. Automated Radio Checks are available on VHF Channels 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84 depending on your location.

According to Seatow's website the closest automated radio check locations to Sanford, FL are Ponce Inlet VHF Channel: 26 and Sea Tow Port Canaveral VHF Channel: 26.

https://www.seatow.com/tools-and-edu...ed-radio-check

R. Jason Kennedy
Executive Vice President
Standard Horizon
Mr. Kennedy,

Now that is some customer service!

Keep in mind the person posting this is a new member that has only made 2 posts on this forum. The first was beginning this thread and a second follow up post about an hour and a half later and nothing since then, which is a few days ago now.

Hopefully he figured out that on channel 16 he was standing next to his radio and all the others he was sitting in a chair with the microphone cord stretched 6 feet away at an angle.

I'm a step or two behind the latest generation of microprocessor-driven electronics and I always find threads like this interesting and every once in a while learn something new so nothing wrong at all with keeping it going, but I thought it pertinent to point out that whatever the issue was it is probably resolved at this point.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, vhf