Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 12:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
VHF External Speaker

Does anyone make an external VHF speaker designed to fit into the same space as most NAV instruments? I think B&G did? I want one with an on/off volume control.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 15:31   #2

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
If your willing to pay the money ICOM offer a neat instrument head sized speaker, the SP-24 as supplied with ICOM M802 etc. You would have to fit an external switch though.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 09:09   #3

I have Simrad external speakers that have the on/off switch, but no volume control. Check their site to see what they have currently. They are 4" by 4".
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 07:39   #4

Polyplanar makes a VHF speaker, that is boxed or can be flush mounted. It's around 3.5" square.

-p
Old 26-09-2010, 08:24   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
I have a Raymarine 240E VHF with an indoor and outdoor speaker. The outdoor speaker has a volume control and on/off button, is loud, water proof and is compact. Another nice feature is that I have the a hanset at each station - indoor and outdoor - and it has the ability to become an intercom communication between indoor and outdoor - set off the fog horn etc. etc.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:05   #6
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Do you use a fog horn attached to your VHF? I have a ICOM 502 that has a hailer and automatic fog horn feature but I have not had a horn installed although it sounded attractive to me. I have done time in the fog in Maine. Give me details. Where is the horn mounted, etc.?
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:37   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Hi RDW,

I must be honest and say I have NOT used that feature and do NOT understand the exact functioning of it at all. I have gone as far as using the intercom from the upstairs helm station to the cabin below where the second set is positioned. The Cat Lagoon 440 as you may know has a helm station upstairs and one below (a feature I like and dislike). I hugely appreciated the unit in a storm I found myself in off Cape Point South Africa, where I communicated very well with my crew below despite being in high winds and awash with the seas. The external speaker works very well in these conditions although I have relocated it on the panel to be a 'verticle mount' instead of 'flat mount' due to sea water 'lying in the speaker' which dampened the sound. There is some info on the handset on google and you can read more about the hailer / fog horn feature at Cactus Navigation and Communication Ltd : Raymarine Ray 240E Modular VHF System (Raymarine E42002) ---- Perhaps you could educate me a bit more on how that feature works as my handbook isnt very clear on that.
Brent
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 18:15   #8
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
All I know is what I have read in the product info. There is a menu choice for fog horn and you choose the correct item for you I.e. motoring, sailing etc and then it will give the proper signal. I just have not figured out where I would put the horn and how to wire it to the VHF radio. I have an ICOM 502.
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote