Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-07-2013, 14:29   #16

Boat: Tartan 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

You would be wrong, the Simrad is $349.- while the gx2150 is 399.99 (both prices just checked at defender.com)
While I agree that the wireless looks good. For those of us who can be klutzes, the wired unit limits how far it can go.... i.e. not overboard.

My wired remote mike in the cockpit is great. The biggest problem I have found is that when it gets wet the speaker is marginal. I usually end up blowing into the remote to clear it. Pondered adding the remote speaker, but in a 33, I really don't want to waste the real estate. If I need to talk to bridges, I scoot below for the portable radio and stick it in my foulies.

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 14:59   #17

Boat: Switch 51
Re: VHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
As an aside - one the coolest instruments I have seen was a Raymarine repeater in an owner's cabin.
Yes, its very nice to be able to keep tabs on the boat and crew while off watch and getting a little shuteye. Have a multi-display which shows speed, wind, heading, etc., but am planning to swap it out for an e7.

Old 29-07-2013, 15:17   #18

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Still, I'd rather recommend something that I've used and can vouch for rather than just what a manufacturer tells me works well.
Agree with this. There is nothing but good words out there for the GX radio. OP doesn't need to be the guinea-pig early-adopter.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:19   #19
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post

Yes, its very nice to be able to keep tabs on the boat and crew while off watch and getting a little shuteye. Have a multi-display which shows speed, wind, heading, etc., but am planning to swap it out for an e7.
I have a Furuno RD33 for that which is small, comes with good bracket for easy installs and can show anything short of a map on a full blown chartplotter. This means it can also show waypoint data incl. highway display.

It also supports user programmable alarms like for wind, heading, low voltage, anchor alarm etc.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:20   #20
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post

Agree with this. There is nothing but good words out there for the GX radio. OP doesn't need to be the guinea-pig early-adopter.
Simrad has been around, no worries
Old 29-07-2013, 15:27   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

I have a GX5500S as my primary VHF. Highly recommended.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 16:39   #22

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've been looking at upgrading to the GX2150 too. I like the idea of a second mic too. I'm looking at getting it along with upgrading the chartplotter where AIS can be displayed too.

Looks like a good radio and if Rebel Heart says he likes it, I think that will work for me
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 16:47   #23

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You would be wrong, the Simrad is $349.- while the gx2150 is 399.99 (both prices just checked at defender.com)
GX2150 is $327.95 at The GPS Store. (Add to cart to see this price)
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 16:56   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Being limited in wattage, any one with features you desire would be good. Standard is alot of bang for the buck, Icom is way overpriced for a radio with 25 watt limitations.. Probably more important is having a good antenna at the vey top of your mast. and a hand held to communicate with the dingy.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 17:06   #25
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post

GX2150 is $327.95 at The GPS Store. (Add to cart to see this price)
So? For $20 you give up a nmea2000 port and go for a unit from a previous generation? I'm not sure if that will save money...

I know, I know, it must be cheap cheap cheap
Old 01-08-2013, 22:54   #26

Icom boat VHFs seems to have the best voice clarity of any radio that is out there now & I've had nothing but good experiences with their aircraft radios for the past 30 years. If you go with Icom, get one of the models with ..I think it's called...clear voice boost technology. Not all of them have it. It makes a noteworthy difference.

I recently noticed that West had good prices on Standard Horizon radios. The GX-1700 with built in GPS went for about $230. They seemed like a real good bang for the buck. If you want to add a GPS puck to a radio with just a port, the price of the puck becomes an issue.

Most people that I speak to like Standard Horizon products. My experience with them is a little out of date. The last Standard VHF radio that I owned needed to have crystals installed for each frequency you wanted to be able to use.

Cobra tends to be cheap & has pretty good clarity, but their stuff is not real durable.

Uniden tends to be built solid like a rock, but reception clarity is nearly the worst out there. Those things can be static noise generators.

If you get a hand held for the dingy, try to get one that floats or else get 2. Or do both. West now sells a pair of Uniden MHS050-2 handhelds on clearance for about $80/pair. They are only 2.5 watts max, but for a dingy, that's usually plenty...& they float. If you want pocket size, Cobra makes a real small handheld for about $50-60 most places. It takes regular AAA batteries, and it comes with rechargables but it doesn't float & it's only 3w max. Reception quality is better than average. I have one. I have a floating key tag attached to it.
Old 01-08-2013, 23:36   #27

HopCar has the little pocket sized Cobra handheld for $50. That is the best price that I ever see on them.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:55   #28
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

until AIS transponders are in a VHF , buying an integrated AIS receiver in a VHF is a waste of time.

Ive used SIMRAD, ICOM and Standard. I easily rate standard as the best.

A key feature is rotary knobs for volume, squelch and channel are a must , hence Standard Matrix or GX5500

dave

dave
Old 02-08-2013, 20:07   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
until AIS transponders are in a VHF , buying an integrated AIS receiver in a VHF is a waste of time.
Worked great for me. With the GX2150 people get an AIS receiver and display for barely a few bucks more than just a VHF.
Old 02-08-2013, 20:45   #30

Can't give you any experinces with any VHF units, but West marine currently has a coupon for a $50 mail in rebate for the Standard Horizon GX2150, making it $350. I'm thinking of getting one myself when I get my boat next month (depending on what the boat already has!). I think the built in AIS receiver is kinda nifty...

Heres a link: STANDARD HORIZON MATRIX AIS+ GX2150 VHF Radio/AIS Receiver at West Marine

Tags
vhf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: