Indeed... it's holiday sailing time here and I've been out sea trialing the upcoming Vision update the last few weeks. Yes, it really is coming and the new anchor
watch worked great. Nice to have too because we got a good blow on New Year's day and the williwaws were blasting down the valley and swinging us wildly.
We've got just a few more bugs to whack out of it which aren't related to the anchor
watch and the update will be ready for release.
With regards to some of the other questions:
1. Some units auto-turning themselves on... the turn-on sensitivity was a bit too high in some of the early units. That's been resolved in production for a long time and if you have one that does this, we're happy to fix it for you. Just flick a note to email@example.com
with the serial
number whenever you are ready to send it to us.
2. Anchor watch - see above. It *IS* coming. And the new firmware update has a bunch of other enhancements too. One is we've removed the modality on the wheel
menu which one of the posters said they didn't like. The wheel
menu has been simplified and reorganized instead. I think it works nicely and the switching between the various modes is now gone except for the anchor watch mode.
Another new feature we've added that a poster reminded me of is the ability to more finely control when the external alarm
should sound. For example, you can configure an external alarm
to only sound when an AIS MOB
3. Touch response - as was posted, the touchscreen doesn't use the same type of screen
that is in your phone/tablet. We want it to work with wet fingers, water
on the screen
, gloves, when the boat is rocking, etc. As a result, it is pressure-sensitive and you do have to touch it. That said, we have made obvious improvements to it in the new release via a variety of things such as increasing the touch detection sensitivity and accuracy. We've also made many user interface changes.
4. Performance has also been addressed in the new release. There's still a bit more we want to do here but it is certainly feeling faster.
5. Reboots... these are not expected. We did have some cases in earlier firmware versions where certain malformed AIS
data and other things caused restarts. Again, if you are experiencing anything like this we want to know about it please. It can help if you can check that you have the latest firmware installed and if so send us a note with the details.
If anyone has any other feedback, suggestions or comments just let me know. I'm back to work now