Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 17:25   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
vesper WatchMate app vswr display

The android app has a vswr meter that shows a series of green, yellow, and red bars. Does anyone know how to interpret this graphic? There are no numbers.
Old 13-06-2015, 17:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: vesper WatchMate app vswr display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The android app has a vswr meter that shows a series of green, yellow, and red bars. Does anyone know how to interpret this graphic? There are no numbers.
We have Vesper Watchmate 850. ??? Am I missing something here? What App>?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 03:09   #3

There is an app, for both 'droids and iThings. It works as a remote control for Vesper transponders with wifi.
Old 14-06-2015, 06:05   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The iPad app has values on that display that range from 1:1 all the way to the left (green) to 4:1 on the right (red). 2:1 starts the yellow and 3:1 starts the red.

I'm surprised that the Android app isn't the same as the iPad app - although the most recently released iPad version is so buggy as to be unusable.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 08:05   #5

Boat: Lagoon 40

The app is wonderful - if you don't have it, you are missing out on the best functions of the Watchmate (i.e., ability to grab NMEA data and send it wifi). On the Q about the VSWR readings, as long as you are in the green, you are good. I am not a radio expert, but if the VSWR reading is in the red, then you may have an antenna, antenna wire, or combination problem. VSWR is a measure of the impedance matching of the loads. I remember checking VSWR on CB radios and on some the antennas, the length could be slightly adjusted to get a better match.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 09:00   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have Vesper Watchmate 850. ??? Am I missing something here? What App>?
Ziggy,

We also have a Vesper 850. Our models don't have the built-in WiFi like the newer XB-8000 also from Vesper.

Now for a slight bit of thread drift, but still on topic... mostly...:

We are considering an XB-8000 for this and the NMEA 2000 Gateway feature. The only downside we can see to this change is the newer unit doesn't have the same robust filtering capability [last time we checked...] that the 850 comes with. That would be an issue in crowded areas since we are spoiled by the 850 filters...

Since our 850 is integrated with our chart plotter, and our chart plotter has wireless remote capability, we already have AIS outputs [but no controls...] on our remote devices. Therefore, the differences are not compelling enough [yet...] to make us hurry this project along...

Cheers!
Old 14-06-2015, 09:49   #7

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
- although the most recently released iPad version is so buggy as to be unusable.

Mark
What are the bugs ?

Have you reported them to Vesper, so they can be fixed ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 10:52   #8

Quote:
The iPad app has values on that display that range from 1:1 all the way to the left (green) to 4:1 on the right (red). 2:1 starts the yellow and 3:1 starts the red.

I'm surprised that the Android app isn't the same as the iPad app - although the most recently released iPad versionso buggy as to be unusable.

Mark
Mark,
Thank you. Clearly, I have a problem.
Old 14-06-2015, 10:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
The app is wonderful - if you don't have it, you are missing out on the best functions of the Watchmate (i.e., ability to grab NMEA data and send it wifi). On the Q about the VSWR readings, as long as you are in the green, you are good. I am not a radio expert, but if the VSWR reading is in the red, then you may have an antenna, antenna wire, or combination problem. VSWR is a measure of the impedance matching of the loads. I remember checking VSWR on CB radios and on some the antennas, the length could be slightly adjusted to get a better match.

Neil
Neil,
Thank you. I have tried two different antennas and two coax cables, all combination give me the same high vswr. I think the only thing left is the transponder itself.
Old 14-06-2015, 11:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Ziggy,

We also have a Vesper 850. Our models don't have the built-in WiFi like the newer XB-8000 also from Vesper.

Now for a slight bit of thread drift, but still on topic... mostly...:

We are considering an XB-8000 for this and the NMEA 2000 Gateway feature. The only downside we can see to this change is the newer unit doesn't have the same robust filtering capability [last time we checked...] that the 850 comes with. That would be an issue in crowded areas since we are spoiled by the 850 filters...

Since our 850 is integrated with our chart plotter, and our chart plotter has wireless remote capability, we already have AIS outputs [but no controls...] on our remote devices. Therefore, the differences are not compelling enough [yet...] to make us hurry this project along...

Cheers!
Bill,
The XB-8000 is a black box transponder, without any alarms or filters. If you'd like them, you need to get the watchmate vision.
Old 14-06-2015, 12:16   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
What are the bugs ?

Have you reported them to Vesper, so they can be fixed ?
There have been several bugs in previous iPad app versions that I have reported to Vesper and they have verified. Most were around how the VSWR reports and responds and were not really that important unless you did some very specific things to make them occur. They didn't effect the operation of the app or xb8000 at all.

The most recent version is basically unusable on our iPads. It crashes continually, often it will not recognize the XB8000 until the app is restarted (it sometimes needs to be relaunched several times before it recognizes the unit), if you put the app in the background, or the ipad to sleep, it often will not recognize the XB8000 again until relaunched, if you put it in night mode, then go back to daylight mode, several of the screen pages go blank and are not recoverable until relaunch - there are several more bugs like this.

I have reported these to Vesper and they also have confirmed them. Frankly, I don't know how the latest version even got out of testing, since none of these bugs are esoteric like in the previous version. I suspect that this newest version had some fundamental code changes and this is why these bugs suddenly appeared.

The length of time since reporting the bugs (April) and still no update leads me to believe that they had to go back deep to make fixes.

Sadly, the latest version of the app is so unreliable now that we have had to stop using it completely.

Luckily, SeaIQ does an even better job than Vesper with AIS reporting, display and functionality, so we have become very comfortable using it instead. However, the Vesper app is still needed for setup and monitoring of the XB8000.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 21:23   #12

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
There have been several bugs in previous iPad app versions that I have reported to Vesper and they have verified. Most were around how the VSWR reports and responds and were not really that important unless you did some very specific things to make them occur. They didn't effect the operation of the app or xb8000 at all.

The most recent version is basically unusable on our iPads. It crashes continually, often it will not recognize the XB8000 until the app is restarted (it sometimes needs to be relaunched several times before it recognizes the unit), if you put the app in the background, or the ipad to sleep, it often will not recognize the XB8000 again until relaunched, if you put it in night mode, then go back to daylight mode, several of the screen pages go blank and are not recoverable until relaunch - there are several more bugs like this.

I have reported these to Vesper and they also have confirmed them. Frankly, I don't know how the latest version even got out of testing, since none of these bugs are esoteric like in the previous version. I suspect that this newest version had some fundamental code changes and this is why these bugs suddenly appeared.

The length of time since reporting the bugs (April) and still no update leads me to believe that they had to go back deep to make fixes.

Sadly, the latest version of the app is so unreliable now that we have had to stop using it completely.

Luckily, SeaIQ does an even better job than Vesper with AIS reporting, display and functionality, so we have become very comfortable using it instead. However, the Vesper app is still needed for setup and monitoring of the XB8000.

Mark
Thanks,

Hopefully they are more careful with the firmware.

JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote