Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 18:11   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Using autohelm 3000 brain

I have a fururo hydraulic navpilot that's been acting up. Just replaced the pump and still getting drive overload errors. My question is there any way to use an old Autohelm 3000 control box to feed my pump. The output for the autohelm is probably not enough to power the pump but was wondering if I can use it just for the signal through some sort of relay. I don't know what could be used with the reversing polarity . Anyone know of a relay that would work or how to wire up regular relays to switch polarity . Trying to get ready for crossing to the Bahamas and need to cobble something tigether.
Thanks
Mike
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 02:15   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Using autohelm 3000 brain

Have you checked the power cables to the Furuno AP computer to verify that there is no corrosion or bad connectors and it is getting full voltage when it draws power?

Look at double throw relays to work out a drive scheme for the 3000
DPDT Relay - Double Pole Double Throw
Old 27-12-2017, 16:59   #3

Boat: Whitby 42

Thanks I ran power straight from the battery same problem. The old pumps magnets came loose and jammed got pretty hot. May have over heated the circuit. I did find a 6 terminal relay for reversing motors. I am going to hook that up to the 3000 tomorrow to see what happens.it should do more than my futuro is now
Thanks
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 06:10   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

The autohelm head is for a mechanical drive it has no way of knowing where your rudders is. Therefore it will steer it for a short time but eventually get confused. Don't bother.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 08:28   #5

Boat: Caliber 33

I use one to drive a Raymarine Motor/Clutch/sprocket drive on the steering cables, which alsao overloads the outputs when connected directly.

I found that electromechanical relays wonīt work because it is a pulsed output and they don't react fast enough. I made up a simple solid state power amplifier which works fine.

However it does need a rudder position sensor which you can make with a potentiometer if you donīt want to buy one.

I can supply you with full details of how to make those units, but not until I get back to the boat in January.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"A Small Slip" by Cris Robinson available on Amazon Kindle ebooks.
OndinePLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 09:02   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The power section of all autopilots is a 'H' bridge power amplifier. You can by these for around $100 if you do a Google search for suppliers. Takes the PWM voltage from the computer and amplifies the power while maintaining the same voltage. Much cheaper than getting a bigger rated A/P and also means you can replace it separately if you do blow the outputs rather than having to change/repair the computer unit. This is, I think, the way Furuno design there systems with separate computer and power units. From a design point it makes more sense to me.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 09:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Pelagic autopilot. Best autopilot controller you can buy for under $1000 you get performance of the very best units.
Old 28-12-2017, 09:37   #8

Boat: Caliber 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
The power section of all autopilots is a 'H' bridge power amplifier. You can by these for around $100 if you do a Google search for suppliers. Takes the PWM voltage from the computer and amplifies the power while maintaining the same voltage. Much cheaper than getting a bigger rated A/P and also means you can replace it separately if you do blow the outputs rather than having to change/repair the computer unit. This is, I think, the way Furuno design there systems with separate computer and power units. From a design point it makes more sense to me.
Thatīs the way to go then IMO. Wish I had known about it before building one.

I'll probably buy one as backup.

-----------------------------------------------------

"A Small Slip" by Cris Robinson available on Amazon Kindle ebooks.
OndinePLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autohelm, autohelm 3000, helm